Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

My main speakers are also a bit odd and interact with the room somewhat differently and they are on plastic feet so I drag them about for a proper listening session.

2 Likes

Your “showroom” picture is like a “Where’s Waldo“ game :rofl:

10 Likes

Yes, I was there but I didn’t take it, it’s from some website and the first time it took me a long time as well

You can probably tell I’m very much an advocate for DSP correction and careful application of Room treatments. Even if room treatments aren’t possible, there’s a lot that can be done with, seated position, furnishings, speaker placement, and of course DSP correction.

I think alot of Roon music lovers would be shocked by the deviation room interactions can cause across the audible frequency spectrum. +/- 20db in is regularly seen.

Here is a quick example…
My system, no EQ, DIY active 3way speaker.
Measured at seated position, with DSP crossover, no correction EQ, no subs, minimal room treatment + carpet.

This is same system playing around with a few PEQ filters, during testing.
Not finished, but you can see the impact.

Anyway, if treatments aren’t possible, grabbing a USB mic / REW / Rephase, and using’s Roon’s inbuilt procedural or convolution DSP engine is a great way to minimise the room.

Just something to consider… Anyway back to the topic…

2 Likes

Love your setup, not masses of large boxes. I am a Transcriptors person too and it makes me happy to see people take these beautiful machines and bring them back to life. I owned a Saturn when I lived in the UK but left it with my brother when I moved to the US, I currently have Michael Gammon (son of the original designer and manufacturer) building me a new Hydraulic Reference table. I cannot wait to get this and put it on the top shelf of my rack if full view.

1 Like

This is the latest iteration of our listening area (largely SACDs, Roon/Qobuz), and despite the LP collection, we’ll likely not buy a turntable. The changes are largely the removal of things from the room and repositioning. No new equipment is planned. The system is used for perhaps 2 hours about three times per week. The rest of the time SONOS fills the home.

Of course, it has the obligatory litter box.

I had one (several day) problem with Roon some months back when it could not find the core, and re-installation was required. Not a crisis since we do not make lists of music, just use Roon as a juke box, playing random things or discovering new things on Qobuz.

I have only a very few areas of Roon Community that I access; those having to do with specific music, the photography, the pets, and not much else.

This is the correct photo (sorry):

19 Likes

Your ceiling fan seems a bit… Limp.

1 Like

No, that is an angle/distortion caused by the iPhone lens. It is very straight. I am tilting toward the cathedral ceiling which may have caused that effect. Also the chair in the lower left is much narrower and smaller than it appears and the concrete coffee table is square not rectangular. The front wall ceiling is also distorted (The room is 40 x 23).

1 Like

Exit Focals Aria and XTZ subwoofer, welcome Wharfedale Linton Heritage… fantastic finish and what a sound!

43 Likes

25 Likes

Klipsch and tubes, tough to beat.

2 Likes

they sure are fun to look at.

1 Like

Showing a Macro photo of my Ortofon 2M Blue :slight_smile: Red leather mat lies on a Acryl platter (ProJect RPM)

17 Likes

Noticed your Lyngdorf 1120, I’ve just bought one 5 days ago and working my way through favourite albums.

2 Likes

Piling on… :wink:

34 Likes

Send me those center baffles. I’m very curious to hear what they sound like over the Voxativ

1 Like

Do you use RoomPerfect? I do and the result is stunning… this little amp has plenty of power too, driving my speakers with ease all tough they are 4 Ohm speakers. The set has authority and sounds very powerful. Best amp I ever had…

Hi Johan, yes i have set up RoomPerfect and has blown me away. My Harbeth P3ESR are only 83dB sensitivity but this amp makes them sing like I’ve ever heard. I come home from work and hit play on my iPhone and music playing before I’ve even opened the door! I do wish it had a headphone socket and or a extra set of pre outs so I don’t have to keep changing subwoofer for headphone amp. it is early days yet but loving it so far. Playing lots of vinyl tonight and is sounding fantastic.

2 Likes

Here is a view from the sweet spot of my lounge system in our house built in 1895. This started off as an ‘Analogue’ system. Well as ‘analogue’ as you can be with a CD player as the primary source! It started off as a simple CD player > analogue pre-amp (a Meridian 501 analogue pre-amp) > bi-amped speakers. Then I discovered surround sound and a Meridian 541 and the additional amps and speakers joined the kit.

I have 3 other ROON systems in other rooms; my office, my other half’s office and the kitchen/cinema. The ROON Core is running on a Late 2012 Quad-Core i7 mac mini in my office.

My office, the lounge and the kitchen are all Meridian based and used to be hooked up with the original Meridian multi-room system. I never found this very easy to use but then I found ROON, which solved all of my multi-room difficulties.

Sources;

ROON Endpoint - 2009 Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM with Douk Audio U2 USB to Coaxial/Optical Converter

Meridian 506 CD Player

Pre-amp;

Meridian 562 Digital Controller

DAC - Schiit Bifrost

Meridian 541 Surround Controller

Speakers;

Front Left & Right - Home built transmission lines built early 1990s based on a 1980s ? HiFi magazine design (can’t remember the magazine or find the design docs!) bi-amped with 2 x Arcam Delta 120.2 positioned next to the speakers

Center - Kef Q95C driven by a Meridian 205 Mono-bloc

Rear Left & Right - Tannoy SFX 5.1 Satellites driven by a Meridian 555 Stereo Power Amp

19 Likes

I had an analog meridian system for while, 508.24 CD player, 504 tuner, 502 preamp, 557 power amp. ran the whole thing balanced, and it sounded fantastic.

for reasons that escape me now, probably not wanting to add an extra box for computer audio, I began to chip away at it over the years. replaced the 557 with an ARC D120, and the 508/502 w/ a Musical Fidelity CD/Pre24.

Then, I needed USB, and stuff got complicated.

Briefly had a 541, later a 561, to try and build a trifield system for music and video, but I was never happy with it. Still, the 500 series was wonderful to listen to and use.

2 Likes