Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2023]

This.

And another thing:

Do you have a solid floor like concrete or a moving floor like certain types of wooden parquet?

If the latter, do not use spikes, but decouple the speakers from floor with absorbers. Won’t solve your issue with the corner, but will also make the bass less boomy and more precise.

3 Likes

presumably, one needs some sort of breakout box, in the tape loop or elsewhere, to run HAF w/ an analog source.

interesting, I can try blu-tac or something. I had isoacoustics isolators for a while, but ended up really not liking them.

I don’t have any analog sources but there are minidsp models with analog input. I’m sure there are other solutions out there.

1 Like

This is not entirely true. I guess what you mean is that the ATL of the PMC is front firing, and not firing backwards. But your bass drivers are also producing waves of sounds backwards towards the wall. These off course will reflect back towards your listening position. With your current speaker position and taking in account your speaker depth of approximately 40 cm you will most likely have bass nodes between 85-115 Hz.

2 Likes

It’s a musical instrument.

You play it with your feet.

Cheers Anthro. You are most likely quite correct, but it sounds great with no bass boom at all. My room is also corrected with HAF from the great man Thierry. Need to send him the new WAV files for new filters!

4 Likes

There is a Roon extension called Entrypoints, which should do just that. I have no experience with it, though. And you will have to have an ADC, to convert the analog signal to digital.

2 Likes

Audiolense would also do the trick, and you can create as many convolution filters you want after buying the software. I’m very satisfied with the result, and wouldn’t be without Audiolense’s convolution filters. Highly recommended!

2 Likes

The Entrypoint solution works like a charm, but there’s a 7, or so, seconds delay from the needle drop until you hear the sound through Roon. No good solution for DJ-ing, but it works well otherwise.

2 Likes

Added a Minidsp shd as active crossover and dirac and i just reached heaven. Perfection is near :wink:

(Edited, it’s a minidsp shd, not shd studio)

24 Likes

would love to see a signal flow diagram.

Looks like your kitty likes the system as well.

5 Likes

Digital:
Innuos zennith — usb —> ddc Gaia —i2s—> DAC terminator plus — xlr —> arc ref 6 pre — xlr —> minidsp shd (active cx and dirac) — 2x xlr —> 2 x arc ref 75 (one left high/low one right high/low)

For analogs imputs, same from pre to speakers obviously (turntable, reel and tape)

1 Like

Was it the appearance that you didn’t like? They look a bit clunky on my Sonos Faber Olympica lls, nowhere near as nice looking as the original spikes but they do stop the bass frequencies transferring into my suspended wooden floor.

2 Likes

…and you found it to be transparent enough in the company of all the ARC gear? I’d have to think about where to put it in my system, which uses an integrated amp. tape loop, I guess.

appearance was fine; I felt like it changed the character of the bass, depriving it of bloom and a natural resonance. essentially, it deadend the bass.

but that was with the speakers in another part of the room. might be just what I need in the new arrangement.

Absolutly transparent. Analog to digital and back conversions are nowadays a state-of-the-art technology with just a small hardware investment.

My analog turntable sounds as analog as always, but better. Dirac is a game changer.

There is people thinking a cable can change the sound si no point in even telling them it’s imposible to distinguish if an audio signal have passed through an analog to digital and back conversion.

And the beneifts of digital audio procesing in terms of eq, room treatment and crossover configuration is massive.

3 Likes

agreed, just wasn’t sure I wanted to add another box to the system.

…but I have a full Dirac license, used in another system w/ a NAD M10.

Definitely looks like it!