Silent Angel VitOs

Thanks David I had forgotten about Schiit not supporting MQA. I was weighing up the options today between Schiit stack and Topping E30/L30 or the A50s/D50 range.

As a Tidal subscriber I would lean towards MQA so its useful to remember.

Regards
Mike

Thanks David for the response. I guess i got my hopes up that VitOS was doing more than just passing the data. Will revert back to my original settings with No MQA and let Roon do the first unfolding.

Sure. Keep in mind that we almost never want a network audio transport (like VitOS) to do more than just pass the data along. We want that tiny CPU to be as idle as possible to minimize noise and grunge that might be passed along to a directly connected DAC. Plenty of people here think I’m crazy (and I may be), but sticking with this strategy has consistently delivered great digital sound for me over the past decade or two. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve been running VitOS for about a week now. I deployed it with another mod, so I can only suspect that it sounds better, which I do. The one big bonus though is the load time over RoopieXL, it loads a lot quicker.

1 Like

Oh? What changes did you make?

I’m using VitOS as my Output (currently connected to two DACs: iFi Audio NEO iDSD and Khadas Tone 1). For Core, I’m running Arch Linux on an old Acer netbook. Its kind of fun using Arch for both Core and Outputs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, that was unclear. The mod was to the power supply of my dac, not VitOS.

I’m running a couple of systems, Amanero > Soekris DAM1021 (Main System this is the one that is heavily modded and has linear supplies from the Pi to the Soekris), iFi Nano DSD, and an ESS9028PRO based Dac.
For Core I am using an Mac mini

1 Like

Great news. VitOS just received an update on December 7th, 2020

I just flashed a fresh microSD card with the new image. Setup was super simple. After inserting the microSD card into a RPi4 with wired Ethernet connection, I connected to it using the free Andriod mobile app.

Just click the button to install Roon Bridge:

Installation only took a few seconds:

Enable the output in Roon, and enjoy great sound.

Hi David anything improved (ok what is there to improve). I currently switch about with Ropiee weekly and switched back this weekend to get the latest Ropiee version, so I will probably switch to this next weekend and give it a run.

I remember in another thread I think you mentioned that you were using iFi NEO iDSD.

I recently bought the iFi Zen DAC and I am so impressed with it that I was thinking about getting the Neo iDSD. I was also looking at the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and Teach TP-505.

I assume you are suitably impressed with the iFi?

Thanks
Mike

I can’t say that I hear any major difference between last year’s VitOS release and this new December 7th, 2020 version. But I’m glad to see that they are continuing to update the O/S and the mobile app.

The iFi NEO is, by a significant margin, the best sounding DAC I’ve heard to date in my various systems. I do wish they had built it without the integrated Bluetooth and headphone amp. I’ve not tried the Bluetooth, but I’m sure it’s great…for Bluetooth; I just don’t plan to use it. The headphone amp is underpowered for serious use, and I’m having problems with the 4.4mm jack (sound only out of the left channel).

However, sound from the balanced outputs on the rear of the DAC is incredible. There’s stiff competition from Topping, S.M.S.L. and others at the ~$700 price-point, but iFi Audio has a stellar offering in the new NEO.

1 Like

Thanks David for the response and that is good to hear.
I was really impressed with the basic Zen Dac.
There does seem to be so much competition in the market making a decision difficult as there seem to be multiple new models a month.

Regards

Mike

VitOS released a new version.
Previous: 1.0.823 dated 10/16/2020
Current: 1.0.1415 dated 12/07/2020

Unfortunately, they’re mobile application doesn’t have any provision I can find to update a current SD Card, requiring me to re-flash my SD Card. I haven’t found any change log, so I’m not sure what changed other than the Kernel.

VitOS updated the Kernel:
Previous:
Linux Raspberry-Pi-4B 4.19.80-1-rt28-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Dec 25 12:04:44 CST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

Current:
Linux Raspberry-Pi-4B 5.4.80-1-rt44-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Fri Dec 4 09:07:40 UTC 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

1 Like

Yeah, but I’m totally fine with that. Reflashing only took a few minutes, and the mobile app makes installing Bridge super easy. I used a fresh microSD card so I can easily switch back to the previous build for comparison if I want.

There are a few packages that could be updated on the new image. I may give this a try just to see what breaks. LOL.

[root@VitOS ~]# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                              218.6 KiB  1041 KiB/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
 extra                               2.2 MiB  27.7 MiB/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
 community                           4.9 MiB  82.2 MiB/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
 alarm                             114.3 KiB  0.00   B/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
 aur is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: smbclient will be installed before its cifs-utils dependency

Packages (41) audit-2.8.5-9  avahi-0.8+15+ge8a3dd0-3  bash-5.1.0-2  ca-certificates-mozilla-3.60-1
              cairo-1.17.4-2  cifs-utils-6.11-2  curl-7.74.0-1  dhcpcd-9.3.4-1  glib2-2.66.3-1.1
              gnupg-2.2.25-1  gnutls-3.7.0-1  gpgme-1.15.0-2  ldb-1:2.2.0-3  libarchive-3.5.0-1
              libcap-ng-0.8.2-1  libldap-2.4.56-1  libp11-kit-0.23.22-1  libseccomp-2.5.1-2
              libtirpc-1.3.1-1  lighttpd-1.4.56-1  linux-raspberrypi4-5.4.83-1  lz4-1:1.9.3-1
              openssl-1.1.1.i-2  p11-kit-0.23.22-1  pam-1.5.0-2  pcre2-10.36-1  python-3.9.1-1
              raspberrypi-bootloader-20201215-1  raspberrypi-bootloader-x-20201215-1  readline-8.1.0-2
              smbclient-4.13.3-1  sqlite-3.34.0-1  systemd-247.1-4  systemd-libs-247.1-4
              systemd-sysvcompat-247.1-4  talloc-2.3.1-5  tdb-1.4.3-4  tevent-1:0.10.2-3
              util-linux-2.36.1-4  util-linux-libs-2.36.1-4  xcb-proto-1.14.1-3

Total Download Size:    76.50 MiB
Total Installed Size:  238.86 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       -1.65 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
1 Like

As I suspected, after updating, we lose the magic real-time kernel:

[root@VitOS ~]# uname -a
Linux VitOS 5.4.83-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 14 15:43:54 UTC 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

Roon still sees the attached DACs, but things may not sound as nice. I can probably add lines like these to /etc/pacman.conf to avoid the kernel being touched by future updates:

IgnorePkg = linux-api-headers
IgnorePkg = linux-firmware
IgnorePkg = linux-raspberrypi4
IgnorePkg = raspberrypi-bootloader
IgnorePkg = raspberrypi-bootloader-x
1 Like

Yup, that seemed to have done what I wanted.

[root@VitOS ~]# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: linux-raspberrypi4: ignoring package upgrade (5.4.80-1 => 5.4.83-1)
warning: raspberrypi-bootloader: ignoring package upgrade (20201129-1 => 20201215-1)
warning: raspberrypi-bootloader-x: ignoring package upgrade (20201129-1 => 20201215-1)
 there is nothing to do

[root@VitOS ~]# uname -a
Linux VitOS 5.4.80-1-rt44-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Fri Dec 4 09:07:40 UTC 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

HOWEVER, Roon was not able to play to either of my DACs after the update. So, the lesson learned is: Don’t try to update VitOS on your own…just treat it (as intended) like an appliance. :slight_smile:

1 Like

David at least that’s a fairly painless experience to get back to the appliance working again.
There is always a temptation to tinker, but thankfully without real damage and it’s sometimes fun.

Mike

2 Likes

Just tried VitOS yesterday on my Raspi Pi 4B. Installation was a breeze and I particularly liked the installation of Roon Bridge via the mobile app. Really, really easy!

Most of all, I do like the sound quality. Highs are a bit more pronounced and arier than with RopieeeXL, without ever being bright and harsh. Absolutely gorgeous!

A linear power supply is on its way and will arrive tomorrow. Just to ease my nerves of having done everything to get the max out of my Raspi. The LPS costs about four times as much as the Raspi :laughing:

1 Like

Good news @Paul_Jeno these mini distributions are so much fun and useful and you are right about the app.
I got some iFi power supplies that were just a bit more expensive than the Pi’s at £49 each and was really happy with the sound quality. I was thinking about the Topping P50 linear power supply to drive the Pi and iFi Zen DAC as as a good option as well.

Regards

Mike

1 Like

Too late, your reply concerning the iFi power supply, but thanks nonetheless! I know for a next time :grinning:

I ordered a power supply from Small Green Computers. I already have one for my SonicTransporter i5. They are cute little things! The rest is powered by my Devialet’s internal power supply, so not much I can (want) to change.

I do like the VitOS’ SQ. Really good!

1 Like

Sorry Paul, but no bad decision, given the kit you have and I am sure it will be a good match.
The iFi is not a linear power supply, just a very good and clean switching power supply, I now have multiple of them on Pi’s and DAC’s around the house.
There is a lot of fun and testing to be done by keeping a few spare micro SD cards around and trying different mini distributions whenever you see one, so you can give it a try and see if enhances the listening experience for you (or helps fix some other need you might have)

Regards

Mike

1 Like

Yes, @Michael_Harris, indeed, pulling an img file onto a micro SD card via balenaEtcher is easy and quick. I do have a few micro SD cards, so I am flexible.

Compared to Ropieee(XL), I do like VitOS’ soundstage better. It’s better resolved and cleaner. I guess I’ll stick to VitOS for a while.

Silent Angel seems to have a nice streamer, the Z1. Looks really nice, although a bit pricey (1800 Euros).

1 Like