"Singles" Approach to Interface Development

I believe Andy has an excellent point. I moved from Sooloos to Roon in the anticipation of a better experience for single tracks. This turned to not be the case. I have some specific enhancements I think would improve the experience. I realise these may also be topics of other threads but I feel these are material to the user experience in this use-case:

(1) Play-Now: The Play now should insert the track in the current play queue displacing what was playing. Roon currently inserts the track at the end of the queue. My path through playing tracks varies on my mood and I still want to hear those I have queued without having to mess about dragging the queue around after the fact.
(2) Volume Control: The volume up/down should be in the top level user interface (as it is in Sooloos). Single tracks have a lot of variation in volume and the current pop-up solution requires two touches to trim the volume and further touch to return to the browser. I also listen to MQA tracks so I can’t use Roons DSP volume levelling.
(3) Artist: As an avid track collector I have about 800 various artist albums/box-sets. This was often the only way to find obscure tracks in pop/rock. Roon isn’t very good at finding meta data for these albums. However every track in my collection now has an album primary artist of “Various Artists” and track performed-by with the “”. ROON doesn’t include these performed-by artists in its artist list.
(4) Track Search: If I search for a track then ROON will show the various-artist album. In my case this is frequently a CD set. You then need to go-fish for the track in the middle of a bunch of CDs/tracks. This is not a good user experience.

The net result for me is that Roon is at best only a very small improvement on Sooloos.

4 Likes

YES! I’ve made similar suggestions in the past. An extra click or two doesn’t seem like much, unless you are one of us who does it for nearly every track. I use volume leveling for whole-house and outdoor listening, but like you, there are other cases where I just don’t want to use any resampling.

1 Like

Another song-by-song feature request:

For me, the challenges of “singles” relates to playlists (a collection of single songs). The integration with Tidal is only partial related to Playlists, only a one way street (Tidal into Roon). Sonos allows you to edit Tidal playlists but Roon feels like this does not fit in the Roon vision (i.e. you are only allowed to edit Roon playlists not Tidal playlists).

I posted about this previously.

Looking forward to Roon’s evolution in this area.
Rob.

1 Like

Better Tidal integration would definitely be boon to those of us who listen to individual songs more than whole albums.

1 Like

What about the random playback control? When I play an album I want it off and when I play a playlist I want it on. It’s a hassle to toggle if you are on a playlist or other view. Would like it always available.

Rob.

Isn’t that already possible (Settings–>Play actions) ?

I was thinking about the icon on the Playing Now but you are right that setting Shuffle as the default for playlists helps a lot! Thanks for the tip!