Sluggish Response Using Mac Magic Trackpad

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Retina 5K late 2015/OS Catalina 10.15.4

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Virgin Media WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

Hi

I have noticed that when using Roon on my desktop Mac I sometimes have to click on a button twice to make it respond. I notice this primarily when I click on the ‘Play Now’ button on an album page, or click on the play button to the left of a particular track. Hover over the button to make sure that you’ve positioned the cursor in the right place, first click doesn’t register, second one does. It also happens when I go to click on ‘Save To Playlist’, when I select a playlist from the displayed menu, the first click won’t work but the second one will. I’m using a Magic Trackpad with the Mac, and I don’t think there is an issue with it, because it works perfectly with every other application I’m using on the computer. Could you advise please?

Regards

Alan

1 Like

Hi @Alan_Meldrum,

Just to verify, do you see the same issue occur if you use another mouse?

Hi

I have one computer and one trackpad, no spare mouse to compare. As I mentioned, functionality of the trackpad is 100% on all other applications I use.

Regards

Alan

Hi

Any thoughts? I had hoped for some further contact by now.

Regards

Alan

Hi @Alan_Meldrum,

Apologies for the delay! Earlier day I had a meeting with our senior technical team to discuss this. To our knowledge, the Magic Trackpad shouldn’t cause any specific issues here, so it looks like there might be something else going on.

During the time you are using Roon what is your resource usage looking like?

If you close and re-open Roon or reboot the machine does the issue go away temporarily, or is it constant?

During the time you are using Roon what is your resource usage looking like?

I’m sorry, I don’t know what this means. I have rebooted both app and computer, and have also tried with the trackpad connected via charging cable and without. Most times the track pad responds as you would wish, but I find that approximately 25% of the time when I use the trackpad initial click are not being recognised. As previously mentioned no issues with any other app on the computer, mail, web browser etc.

Regards

Alan

Anybody out there?

A

Hi @Alan_Meldrum,

You can check resource usage by viewing Activity Monitor. This will show the resources being used by the machine (CPU/RAM/GPU) and will give us a good idea of what might be causing the issue. You can read more about Activity Monitor in this Apple article.

How do you wish me to use this information? Do you wish to access this data? What exactly do you want me to do?

A

Why are the responses to my messages taking so long?

Hi @Alan_Meldrum,

The reason I ask is because this will help us to understand what might be occurring. If CPU / GPU is high during this time, we know that is the reason things might be sluggish. It will help to provide context for what is going on on the machine. If you can share some screenshots here of the resource usage that would be great!

Please find attached Activity Monitor screenshots, which I hope are of help. I would appreciate it if you could respond at your convenience with further advice.

Regards

Alan

Add images

Hi @Alan_Meldrum,

There are some changes to how Roon is rendered that is coming in our next release that might be helpful here. I definitely recommend trying things after that update and letting us know how it goes. We are still testing these changes, but we are hoping to have the update available soon!

Hi

I have been using Roon update for a few days now, but the problem I described persists. Do you have any further advice?

A

Hi @Alan_Meldrum,

Thanks for giving that a try! Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Hi

Below is a link to the zip file, which I copied to Google Drive. Could you let me know if you can access the file ok, and that you have everything you need?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u4H0AjjGlDGfe3ZvxmdULzQJVkI5nATj/view?usp=sharing

Regards

Alan

Hi @Alan_Meldrum,

Sorry for the delay from the holiday weekend. We tried accessing the logs but it says we don’t have permission. Can you try uploading the logs here instead?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/external/5dHjIc9dbfI-LVTzf

Thanks!

Hi

I just uploaded the zip file to the location you gave the link for, can you let me know if you can access it OK?

Regards

Alan

Perfect, thanks @Alan_Meldrum — I’ve passed this along to the team.

Hi @Alan_Meldrum,

Do you have the option to switch to Discrete GPU as seen here? Does this help?