Stream for WPLN Nashville not working

@dylan, see this post
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/silent-angel-vitos/90551/130?u=brianw

Edit:-
Ok, after some further checks by @Michael_Harris (thank you), it looks as though VitOS is indeed the culprit.

Good to know the root cause. Thank you!
So, to confirm I understand the situation correctly, my options are to stick with VitOS and not play incompatible stations, or switch to a different Raspberry Pi operating system for Roon for that zone. Please correct me if thatā€™s wrong.

Since the zone in question is a listening room where NPR is not much on the menu, I think Iā€™ll stick with VitOS.

Thanks again!

Tom

Yes, thatā€™s how it seems right now, but @dylan is the expert and I hope heā€™ll be able to find out whatā€™s going wrong. After all, you should be able to listen to any station you like!

Roon support may be a bit busy at the moment catching up after the holidays, but heā€™ll get there.

Cool. Please keep me posted.
May be more of a VitOS support issue, but I suspect they feel the same.

Interestingly, Iā€™ve since switched from VitOS to Ropieee, but I still canā€™t get either of the WPLN streams to work. Previously, we had concluded that VitOS was unable to handle chunked transfer encoding. Not sure if that remains the issue. Suggestions welcome.

Hello again @Tom_H

Previously, you had said

Is that still the case? The XL version works but not ā€‹the standard?

And letā€™s try something while Iā€™m at itā€¦ although there are two streams for WPLN, it is possible that Roon always picks just one if it has any problems with the other and that the one it picks is the chunked one. Iā€™m going to temporarily stop the chunked stream. Can you try now?

Brian ā€“ many thanks for the quick response and guidance!

• Yes, another RPi4 running RopieeeXL is able to play the station. The one causing issues has been running regular Ropieee. If you advise that I upgrade to RopieeeXL on the problem device, and that wonā€™t impact my sound quality, just let me know and I will do so.
  • I tried playing the station a short while ago, after you had pruned the streaming channels available, and it still didnā€™t play.
  • While looking at the Ropieee status page for the device on my browser, I saw it was due for an update. Iā€™ve updated, but the station still does not play.

Ok, and it shouldnā€™t have made a difference anyway as the core can successfully decode the station to PCM (because your XL works).

So thereā€™s something about your endpoint which determines whether a station gets played or not.

This is getting beyond my pay grade. Letā€™s ping the Ropieee guru @spockfish and see what he says.

1 Like

One fact I will add in case it helps: my Roon remotes show the station loading, and they count up the seconds it has ostensibly been streaming; itā€™s just that no sound comes out of the speakers.

Both RPi4s in question have the same outboard DAC, SMSL Sanskrit 10th, Mark IIā€™s.

Is a reference to ā€œ@spockfishā€ like a fish-shaped klieg light into the night sky? If not, please let me know if I need to do something to summon the spockfish spirits . . .

@spockfish isā€¦

ā€¦the Ropieee author. He will have been pinged by his name reference and will be along in due course.

1 Like

So @Tom_H ,

Iā€™ve read through the thread. Can I summarize it like this:

• Unit with RoPieee does not play the mentioned stream
  • Exactly the same setup (hardware wise) but running XL does play the stream

Is this the actual situation?

Thanks for your attention to this!

Yes, that is the situation.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s related, but the same unit and associated audio zone will sometimes become invisible to Roon. It resolves when I power cycle the RPi4 and/or close and reopen Roon. The unit is always powered on, as is the DAC.

Tom

This morning I got an error message while playing a track from Qobuz: ā€œUnexpected error on playback device.ā€ It tried again, generating the same message, then stopped playback.
I then rebooted the RPi4 and Roon, but to no avail. The network sees it, but Roon does not. When I try to access the device via the ā€œlocalā€ site on my browser, it wonā€™t load.

I then unplugged the RPi4 for 10 minutes or so, and rebooted it again. This time, Roon saw it, but when I tried to play a track, it seemed to loose contact with the device, and the zone disappeared. My network still sees the device, but Roon does not.

Time to reflash?

Yep. Time to reflash.

Afterwards Iā€™m still eager to sort out what the difference here is between ā€˜regularā€™ and XL.
Because in the case of Roon/RAAT it should not make any difference whatsoever.

Thanks

1 Like

Iā€™m back in business, although Iā€™m completely unsure what the issue(s) were. It took me several attempts to get a stable Ropieee running on the RPi4. I honestly donā€™t know to what extent it might be traceable to a bad SD card, or card reader, or a network issue.

Those now seem resolved, and Iā€™m back to where Quobuz, my own albums, and a majority of radio stations seem to work. WPLN still does not, however.

If it helps, WEVL Memphis seems to have the same or similar issue. The second-counter runs, but thereā€™s no sound.

Many thanks for your input and general support, Harry.

Tom

But youā€™re back to the original situation?

Stations plays on XL, station wonā€™t play on ā€˜regularā€™?

That is correct.

Sorry for late reply, Iā€™ve been away for a few days.

That station, and WPLN, are both single channel mono.

There may be two separate issues here - one causes silence, and the other is a station wonā€™t play (e.g. WDVX). Does wdvx now play? If it does, then the reflash has fixed that and perhaps itā€™s the mono property causing problems with WPLN. Is that possible @spockfish ?