Taiko Audio Enhancements to Roon

But it’s a dry cold :joy:

I’ve gotten spoiled by living in Southern California lately. You forget what real weather is.

Not sure how much more the tree can bend🫣

2 Likes

When young I used to love’it. Now I want sun and mild hot… I do not know the conclusion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Celsius or Fahrenheit?

AJ

Folks come to Texas in the winter to get away from this stuff………oops :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Oh man I love what you are thinking :heart_eyes:

Are they fixing the problems they caused (again!) but this time charging users for the privilege?

1 Like

That’s the point where both scales intersect :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know. That was the subtext.

AJ

1 Like

Wow. Best.Thread.Ever.

3 Likes

Makes it easy to use as a reference “point where it does get bloody cold!”

The term “enhance” is being misused here. HQPlayer and this $30K brick aka Taiko audio Music Server don’t “enhance” the sound of Roon rather they alter the sound of Roon. In the same way that Roon’s own internal DSP can enhance or rather alter the sound of Roon.

DSP is the 21st century digital version of good old 20th century tone controls and equalizers. Useful tools but not really enhancements.

For sir, a sausage and onion gravy sandwich on white bread, with a glass of sterilised milk.

As requested, sir, it was helicoptered in this morning from Luigi’s Fish ‘n’ Chip Emporium. An artist beyond comparison, sir.

One for @AceRimmer

1 Like

One could argue that a properly generated DRC filter does enhance music by making what you hear closer to what actually is in the recorded signal, before it is mucked up by speakers and room interactions.

Taiko (upon closer perusal of their site, they are… less than truthful and transparent about their products, such as they are) by itself doesn’t even alter the sound of Roon, you’ll still need to run HQPlayer on it.

A DRC filter is a form of DSP and it does indeed alter the signal, aka music. I’m not saying that is not worthwhile but I’m just trying to clarify exactly what it is and what it is doing. DRC and HQPlayer don’t “enhance” how Roon works. Roon and RAAT move the digital stream, without changing any of the bits aka bit perfectly, from the server to the Roon endpoint.

Helicopters are nasty noisy things, fit only for the parvenu class which would eat sausages with onion gravy on white bread. A properly tuned Rolls, on the other hand, is like a ghost, and does not disturb one’s concentration.

1 Like

That’s semantics.

The point, of course, holds - applying some DSP alters (possibly even enhances) the sound. Running Roon on Taiko (as opposed to Nucleus, or any other computer) does zilch.

Back to the topic see all the great reviews for NZ antipodes music servres Home - Antipodes.
I build my own servers and have found noticeable improvements when using linear power supplies, fan less PCs, PCIe USB cards (see Jcat) and even the recent Ryzen CPUs versus Intel especially when running Rock.

Antipode’s pricing is at least slightly less laughable than Taiko’s (although it is interesting that they do not seem to list any of the important specs, like what CPU are they using). S30 without any add-ons might make sense for someone who wants an almost turnkey system that looks different from Nucleus.

Fanless PC will definitely make a difference. IF your server is in your listening room. LPS or a PCIe USB controller will not, unless your DAC is very spectacularly badly engineered. And of course if endpoints are sitting on a network, all of those are moot points anyway.

As for reviews, I’ve seen great reviews for green markers, CD demagnetizers, and what not. Certain places will review a pile of cow dung for those sweet advertising dollars…

1 Like

It’s my experience with Antipodes that it is the player portion of the server that improves upon the sound. Here their attention to power supplies and outputs whether usb or clocked make the improvement. On my Antipodes, a K30 (server computer and player computer) and EX (optimized for playback) attention has been made to the usb and ethernet outputs. Whether I use the server computer or a remote nuc (w rock) I don’t perceive a change in sound.

2 Likes

Interesting. I have mainly used Roon as a server and player combined. I have assumed Roon processes the music for transport to the player over RAAT. Therefore DSD upsampling would be performed on the server prior to transport to the player as DSD content. As such, and as acknowledged by HQPlayer, the server does indeed make a difference. However Roon Rock differs significantly from HQPlayer in that the server music processing (other than library management) is managed on a single CPU core (or 2 CPU if doing DSD?). Therefore I would have thought a fast CPU (eg. latest Intel and AMD CPUs functioning at 5ghz) and supporting memory (DDR5 vs DDR4) in a low noise case would have made a significant diffence to the quality of the music being produced.

1 Like