"This track is not currently available" TIDAL error message

I am about to give up on Roon completely, just because of this.

I use my identical setup for tidal via mControlHD app on my diresctream and never have this problem. Only with Roon

Filled the survey. Still having the error message every listening session.

I canceled my Tidal subscription over this.

Not Tidal’s fault. Roon’s

Doesn’t matter who’s fault it is, doesn’t work and I’m not paying for it. Also been waiting for mqa support for so long that I’ve totally lost interest. I’d quit roon also if I didn’t buy a lifetime subscription.

I decided after much irritation when trying to listen to Tidal via Roon, to re-install my CORE using Debian Linux vs ROCK so I could change the default network settings, mostly the TCP send and receive buffers (among others) for performance.

My thinking is that since I have no issues when playing music on or from devices across my LAN, that maybe doing some network performance tuning would help with the Tidal issues (and figured it can’t hurt either).

Well, after finishing up last night I’ve been streaming from Tidal and have had only 1 skipped file , so almost 24 hours straight with a single skipped song. Not saying this will work for anyone else, but in the spirit of sharing so others could possibly benefit, I am sharing the settings I started with. This is an as-is no warranties, use at your own risk / peril post. But wanted to share with all what has seemed to have worked for me.

As root here’s the settings I added to /etc/sysctl.conf

# Set send buffer size (wmem) and receive buffer size (rmem) to 12 MB for queues on all protocols
net.core.wmem_max=12582912
net.core.rmem_max=12582912
# Set the minimum size, initial size, and maximum size in bytes
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem= 10240 87380 12582912
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem= 10240 87380 12582912
# Turn on window scaling which can be an option to enlarge the transfer window
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
# Enable timestamps as defined in RFC1323
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
# Enable select acknowledgments
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
# Setting so TCP will not cache metrics on closing connections
net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save = 1
# Max number of packets, queued on the INPUT side, when the interface receives packets faster than kernel can process them
net.core.netdev_max_backlog = 5000
#end
To enable them you must run “sysctl -p”

NOTE: AGAIN, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, if you break your network stack don’t be blaming me :slight_smile:

Also note that I’ve only been running this for 24 hours, it may end up not helping by the end of the week, and it’s very possible this might need tweaked again before I can call it working. But at this point it seems to be a promising change for me. At the least a major improvement over what I was seeing.

Update 1: Day 2 of the increased send and receive network buffers and continuous play of Tidal songs and unfortunately the Tidal errors are back. In the first 40 hours there were 2 skips, 18 the last 4 hours, 16 happening in the last hour. Now I’m going to reset and reboot everything and will try playing it as I would normally to see if I see any different results. I’m still slightly optimistic under normal play the band-aid will help.

Final update: Day 4 using these network settings and I am happy to report that I am error free as long as I shuffle through my local music files along with Tidal. Ran it 22 hours strait today without one Tidal error. I’m still looking forward to a fix. Unfortunately this won’t help anyone who listens to Tidal exclusively.

1 Like

Having the same issue as most with irrirating frequency.

No issues at all using Tidal with the same tracks with Audirvana or the Tidal desktop app on the same machine immediately after the errors.

Roon plays the first track a little and then skips to the next or third after displaying the Tidal error as above.

No problems with local tracks.

Same error whether I’m using a network endpoint or playing to the headphone jack or USB DAC on the same machine as the server.

All ---- Thank you again for taking the time to fill out our data gathering survey! The information you have provided is both extremely valuable and appreciated!

I wanted to reassure all of you that this issue you are experiencing is still on our radar and is actively being investigated. We agree that this problem has persisted much longer than anyone of us would have liked and our team is working diligently to analyze all the feedback we have received from your survey answers.

Additionally, our newest team member, @john has sent PMs to a few users in this thread about advanced network troubleshooting. More specifically having to do with your DNS settings. If you have received John’s PM we would love to hear your results!

Again, thank you for your patience and continued feedback while we work at understanding the cause of this behavior.

-Eric

3 Likes

I have been following this thread for a while as I have identical problems with my Chord Poly device. Tidal “Track no longer available” and “Song loading slowly” errors skipping tracks or the stream just failing and the endpoint is lost by Roon. Many other Poly/Roon users are reporting the same. I posted the following to the Head-Fi forum on Poly:

In my experience, Poly seems to have trouble with mesh networks. I have watched through my mesh router’s control panel (Amplifi) and can actually see Poly switch (Poly is not moving just sitting on a table) between several remote access points for no apparent reason. When it switches, Roon, in Roon mode, will lose the connection. Sometimes it reconnects to roon fast enough that it only glitches, but more frequently, roon will lose connection and the stream will stop or skip the track. The roon error messages “Tidal track no longer available” or “Song is loading slowly” are related to this behavior. I was able to solve my problem by setting up a new network just for poly (with an airport extreme) in a single access point, unextended configuration, and the problems went away.

This problem is well documented on the Roon support forum on other, but not all wifi devices as well. Roon is aware and investigating, but the behavior has been reported by a number of users for months. My laptops, all wifi, work fine with roon. It may be related to the “spontaneous” access point switching behavior of certain client devices, Poly included.

Further, I have found that if I am willing to give up Roon bit perfect mode and set the poly to other mode, Roon will work with poly perfectly as an Airplay device for both Tidal and local files, but you lose bit perfect. Airplay protocol appears to be resistant to the access point switching by poly which causes the Roon mode protocol to fail.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

This problem has just struck again.
It seems to only happen for me when I play TIDAL MASTERS that are MQA files.
The track starts, and about 20 seconds into the track it stutters and then gives up and moves onto the next track, and 20 seconds into the second track it occurs again, and the message is then displayed.
In the past my system has always been able to play Tidal Masters, but since the last upgrade this problem occurs.

I got the latest problem playing Van Morrisons latest release: “Versatile Van Morrison”. If I play the non MQA album version, I dont get the problem, and I dont get the problem at all when I play it in Tidal (not Roon).

Colin

1 Like

Same here, experiencing the same error. It happens much more frequent when using my Pi 3 with Ropieee and Brooklyn DAC as end-point, compared to when I use my Bluesound Pulse Mini speakers. It is always the first, two-three songs that skips before it finds its pace. Plays approx 3-10 secs before skipping.

I’ve just discovered this with a few Tidal albums saved to my library -

If I have problems with playback as above, I’ve found that if I click on “Go to Tidal version” and play it from there, it plays fine. No errors.

Interesting, since I presume the “saved” version and the “Tidal” version are actually playing from the same online source.

I made this assumption a while ago when it first started to happen for me. It does not work all the time though and it happens on albums not in my collection, although they are more likely to pause and then restart which is equally as annoying.

I too have been having this issue, seemingly for the last ~6 months or so. Some data points from my end:

• It seems to happen the most (exclusively?) during “peak” load times - for me this is 6-9pm MST.
  • I have similar issues (almost worse, even) using Tidal’s Windows player and web player during these times, so at least for me this doesn’t seem to be Roon exclusive.
  • Sometimes restarting a track/album will allow the playback to work, but not always.
  • Tracks that start to play right away will almost always work. Tracks that take a second or more to “load” almost always end up having this error after ~5 seconds of playback.
  • I don’t see any difference between albums that are in my collection vs. those that aren’t.

So, at least from what I’ve seen, this points to be a Tidal issue and not one with Roon. Seems like Tidal has load-balancing or other issues on their end. @support, have you spoken with the Tidal folks about it?

1 Like

So I’m in here :frowning:
this issue appeared first just a few days ago and is getting worse ever since.
I have not changed anything on my network, so there is only a little chance to the network causing the problem.
Yes I’m on wifi, but this wifi is capable of handling dual hd video streams none of the them are causing any trouble.
As network is my daily business I’ve checked the network side already. there are no dropouts if I ping Roon core or ultrarendue with times around 2-3 ms
same if I ping a trusted internet source no dropouts, times around 28 - 30 ms
Using a macbook connected to the same access point as ultrarendu.
Roon core is on gigabit ethernet.
my network devices are unfi and the ac are unfi mesh

Add me to the list of users experiencing this problem. The last two nights it has happened several times, apparently at random. Very frustrating and a deal-breaker if it continues.

Roon core is on a Windows 10 64 box with 8Gb memory connected via gigbit ethernet. I sometimes also stream Tidal via the Windows app or a Heos box and have never experienced this.

It started happening to me too. Roon Core is on a Mac Mini (i5, 8GB, 128 GB SSD) with wired connection. My remote is wired as well. Nothing has changed in my network configuration for months.

This thread really worries me. I am close to making changes to my set up just to accomodate Roon as I fed up with stteaming issues with my Melco…then I see this thread!!

Seems like a reboot of the router fixed the problem.

Add me to the list of disgruntled Tidal users. Starts playing a track, stutters and then says track unavailable. Hoping a fix comes soon this is more than annoying.