TIDAL: a network or connection error is interfering with TIDAL playback

Thanks for clarifying Tony. The obvious question; is there a simple way to increase cache other than a major cpu upgrade i.e. with more RAM?

To put this in perspective in my system, I find it only a minor inconvenience not being able to play MQA tracks. The SQ quality from my own library (CD and high res) and the world of Tidal gives so much pleasure already.

It’s not a question of memory. The Roon Cache is on disk so there is a period of relatively (but not very) high disk write activity, involving multiple threads, and an associated CPU load.

An observation when playing one single track :

Streaming ‘CD quality’ from Tidal - a block of network traffic ~45Mbps for several seconds, then nothing, and the track plays until the end - unbroken.
Streaming ‘Master / MQA quality’ from Tidal - a block of network traffic ~45Mbps for several (more) seconds, then nothing, and the track plays until the end - unbroken.
Playing a local / ripped CD (from my NAS) - multiple repeated sawtooth peaks of ~5Mbps continuously, until the end of the track.
Playing a local / ripped MQA or other high-res file (from my NAS) - multiple repeated sawtooth peaks of ~5Mbps continuously, until the end of the track.

I’ve simply observed this by watching my ethernet traffic with Task Manager.

However, it suggests that Tidal ‘dumps’ the whole file to your computer in one hit, or as quickly as possible, whereas local streaming is more regular / shared / spread (for want of a better description - the networking experts are welcome to chime-in here !).

My simple observation could be wrong, but if it’s accurate or a reasonable interpretation of what’s going on, and if your router / local processing actually are limited in some way - could it be possible that streaming Tidal is overloading your system, due to the protocols / methods they’re using, and hence causing some kind of streaming error ?

Again, there are plenty of very experienced networking people within the community, so perhaps someone can hypothesise further…

A post was split to a new topic: Tidal has dropouts while playing 16/44

im having problem with tidal in roon it not connected and it gave me message they nrigt in the message error loding page please check your network conniction and its allready concted with the router succsesfully i ntry many thing like reboting the router and delete roon and download it again and i download roon servier also without any benfit please help me with that it really anoying

omar,

Hi Omar
Can you give more details? System, source and which features in Roon you are using? Are you trying to stream MQA? Have you checked all connections and rebooted? Is your internet working okay?

Im using Devialet 250 by usb source usually im streaming tidal from roon and it was working good i didnt chang any thing in roon sittings one time tidal its not connicting in roon ,they send me message chek your network connection and the connection was fine the intranet is working , im not trying to stream MQA i steam normal songs please help me i try everything thing

Do you have Devialet support? Contact them and ask to help. Also Roon and Tidal support. Add @support to your question here on Roon and they will reply.

I had a similar problem with not connecting and as I have an Antipodes server the Antipodes folk helped me to find the problem which was a software corruption. Takes patience and working through all the options. Also I have heard it claimed that your internet provider can limit Tidal streaming. Adding a fixed IP address for your server can also help.
Good luck as I know how frustrating this can be.

Hi @omar_ali ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us, both are appreciated. Sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, to help me better understanding what could be potentially causing this behavior to occur, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following:

• An expanded description of your current setup, using this link as a guide. The more information you can provide, the better.

• Can you please provide me with the make/model of router you are implementing. Furthermore, is the device hosting your Roon core hardwired to the router or is it using a WiFi connection?

• If you were to just use the TIDAL application, and not Roon + TIDAL, how do things behave?

• Have you tried logging in and out of TIDAL, within in Roon?

-Eric

I now have this problem. No Tidal playback. Outside of Roon, things work fine with TIDAL. Running ROCK.

I got this message when playing tracks from Tidal too. A network or connection is interfering with Tidal playback. The solution for me was to reboot my NUC running the Roon Core.

1 Like