Tidal started long buffering delays

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus +

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Nokia Fibre broadband router 300Mb speed connection. Network Ethernet connection to Nucleus +

Connected Audio Devices

Troubleshooting with iPad as selected device. Issue appeared on main system first. Set up on system is Nucleus + is connected to Auralic G2 steamer with Ethernet cable. Auralic is connected with USB to mola mola dad. iPad is used for Roon interface via Wi-Fi. Issue is on both the main system and the iPad when selected as device.

Number of Tracks in Library

Just use the Nucleus + to stream Tidal

Description of Issue

Problem appeared suddenly after 8 months of trouble free listening. When any track of playlist is selected in Roon there is a long delay before playback starts (1 min approx)

The track image loads as per screenshot but the track length display has a strobing bar moving constantly across between 0.00 and 2.49 in the screen shot example.

After about a minute the track will load and play. If opening a large playlist this can be five minutes. This used to be instantaneous.

Here is a screenshot of the detail of my core. I’ve rebooted router the nucleus +, the iPad, I’ve reinstalled tidal and Roon apps. I added Qobuz to check if the issue is just with Tidal but the problem was also there for Qobuz. I have a very good internet connection via fibre broadband. I changed the Ethernet cables also without effect.

Have you rebooted everything from the network equipment outward?

Yes. Went as far as unplugging everything completely. Brought everything back on line slowly and in sequence allowing time for each to stabilise. Thanks for q.

I still am having buffering issue and at this stage I am strongly considering getting rid of the Nucleus+! Can anyone advise how I get in touch with tech support please? After a lot of investigation I have confirmed the issue is the Nucleus+. Tidal will stream faultlessly to the Auralic Aeries G2 via Airplay or to the ipad. Qobuz also buffers on Roon but not when streamed directly. I noticed that with the Nucleus+ unplugged I am seeing two “ghost” Wifi devices on my Network: 2.4GHz Nucleusplus and 5Ghz Nucleus Plus.
I rebooted router, Nucleus+ shut off all wifi devices and reconnected step wise but still no change. It appears to me ( with no knowledge on the subject) that the Nucleus+ is not correctly communicating with the router. Ethernet cables have been changed.

I wish I had specific guidance, I only have sympathy and some recollections. I went through about a month where I had the same exact issue with Tidal, albeit on a ROCK/NUC.

Things I tried, some combination of which eventually worked:

1. ensuring my ROCK was on a home run to the core switch (no intermediate switches or network gear)
  2. changing DNS servers from ISP defaults to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 (and perhaps 4.4.4.4). There were lots of trials of which one should be primary and which secondary
  3. reading Roon logs and trying to interpret them
  4. replacing some of my core network gear and going through 1-3 again

I’m not trying to be facetious - this was a while ago so my recall is not great. But I spent a month troubleshooting and actually eventually got it to work, and it’s been flawless ever since. Though I’m no expert, I highly doubt the issue is the nucleus. A ROCK or other core configured the same way would likely have the identical issue. I’m confident it’s networking. But I can’t help much more. Hope that Support pick this up for you soon, though things are understandably slim in the holiday period.

Edit: I went back and found my support thread on this topic. Doubt it will be helpful for your specific issue, but perhaps. If you search for “tidal buffering” I bet you’ll find lots of similar related issues.

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense that this is a networking issue but everything outside of the Nucleus checks out. Head is wrecked!

Well I’ve figured out that the two “ghost nucleusplus devices” are Ring doorbells that have renamed themselves on system somehow. Disconnected both Ring devices, rebooted router, reinstalled the Ring devices. They still appear under the NucleusPlus name. Roon still buffering when tracks are changed.
I’ve reached the limit with it. No support #support ! Good news Tidal and Spotify stream directly to Auralic so Nucleus+ can go back to shop without any loss. Lesson learnt!

If you still want help with this then the Roon’s @support team will follow this up with you after the Christmas holidays.

I too strongly suspect this is an external network issue, I suspect there will be network related errors being reported in the Roon logs.

As as Roon user, to aid trouble shooting I will these were aggregated and when extensive made visible in the Roon GUI.

Hi @Colm_McGuinness,

It is not easy at all to start this post after having missed it for almost a month. Sure, part of it was the holidays, some covid affected team members and the general work load, but that is no excuse. Please, accept my deepest apologies for the delay, especially when it comes to an issue such as yours :pleading_face:

It is beautiful to see that while we weren’t around, you have not only made efforts (lots of them!) to find a solution, but you have also engaged with the Roon community to reach a resolution and for that, we are grateful.

I was wondering if you’d be at all willing to pick up troubleshooting with us, this time? We would certainly love the opportunity :nerd_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.