Track fade out (Pause, Stop, Skip Track, Sleep, ...) and fade in when restarting

Instant on, instant off, as it does now.

The feature could be added as a switch, toggle on or off, then everyone could be happy.

I don’t like the abrupt cut when I skip to the next track. A short fade would be appreciated.

I rarely listen to albums rather a string of disparate tracks. I suspect those that typically are album listeners wouldn’t want this feature enabled.

But the choice would be nice for those that do. Foobar had/has a fadein/fadeout plugin I used for years. It was much gentler on the ears and the tracks than the hard cut.

Yes I’d like it as an option.

Roon doesn’t always stop cleanly, sometimes there’s a tiny-audio-snip sound. Other times it stops with a clean cut. Depends on track. Or is that just me… :grimacing:

Startup instant is fine.

Cheers
H

A fade to zero in 1 sec seems too long, more like quarter of a second? But maybe this could be optional as well.

Yes exactly
H

I would use this if it were an option! I find hard stops ugly

1 Like

Good reminder! I’ve voted too now…

As a matter of fact, when stopping playback I would like to have 3 options:

1. Stop immediately
  2. Fade out
  3. Stop after finishing the currently playing track
2 Likes

I agree entirely that there should be an option for a quick fade-in and fade-out. Heaven’s sake, even foobar2000 has that ability - and it can be turned off if you don’t like it. This is a strong - IN FAVOR OF.

I am all for it. And how about a fade-in if skipping the next track?

Hello,

I see quite useful a button that will start to fade out the current song. I see this feature as helpful during the session when skipping from song to song. As the sudden stop of music is very unpleasant, at least for me.

The position of such a button could be hidden under volume control.

EDIT: Feel free to delete it. I see now more requests like this after search.

1 Like

Instead of an abrupt change when manually switching from one playing track to another, how about fading the departing track quickly—maybe a fade duration of one second? Swinsian (Mac) does this, and it’s noticeably more pleasant than just slamming into the next track.

11 Likes

I think this has been requested a few times, so probably best to not hold your breath, but I agree, it would be a nice feature.

3 Likes

Is this request something different to the existing Crossfade feature?

I may be wrong but I think that @Andrew_Webb is referring to manually switching tracks, i.e. one track is part way through playing when you select another next one. Crossfade has no impact in this scenario: the volume of the currently playing track instantaneously drops to zero before the next one starts.

1 Like

Ah, yes - you’re right… Thanks.

Yes, that’s right. I’ll edit my post.

I’ve wished for this for years now. Like Foobar foobar2000: Components Repository - Fade In/Out DSP

Yeah. Would be nice. Kindly asking for this too :point_up_2:

2 Likes

I will add my two cents into the request box.
I would add a few more shekels if it would help!

1 Like