Unable to Access my Roon Library since version 2.0 installed

Hey @Graham_Cox,

Ok I see what you mean here. What is the bridge device you’re referring to?

Some new information that I think is useful to consider - you mentioned:

This was 5 days ago. From your account on our end, the Innous was last seen 7 days ago, and so I am thinking perhaps there might have been some hiccups in the Innous settings around Roon. Could you double-check that and maybe reboot the Innous and reset it to reading Roon?

With that, we’re also not seeing any IP address linked to the Innous, can you confirm the Innous is still able to connect to your router/network? This may be the missing piece of the puzzle.

We also did some R&D for local Roon dealers in Kent, and found two that might be able to assist you with some hands on support if the above doesn’t get you squared away. The two shops are:

Canterbury Hi-Fi - location : Unit 1 St Georges Place

Soundcraft Hi-fi - location : 40 High Street

Thanks, Graham!

Hi Ben,
When I refer to the bridge, I mean the switching unit to which all the ethernet cables are plugged into i.e. the router cable and the cables to the Innuos, Apple laptop which is the dedicated music controller as well as my pc - sorry if this caused confusion,
As mentioned, I tried unplugging the Innuos (from both the power and the ethernet cables) several times but this did not achieve anything as the same problem continued to appear. The Innuos refusing to talk to the laptop and showing “Roon Troubleshooting” rather than just “Roon”. This has been a constant since v2.0 was installed.
As stated, I can successfully use Innuos’ own app to read the music stored on the Innuos which is why I keep switching Roon app off so that I can play the music. However, Roon is a more user friendly system which I would prefer to use if possible. When I assess Roon after your responses, I switch the Innuos back to read Roon each time.
The fact that the laptop and Innuos can talk to each other using the Innuos app, seems to indicate that the cables and switch work with that app so could they be a problem only with Roon?
Is there no way that you could use an app like “Teamlinks” to take control of my Apple laptop to assess what is wrong?
If not then perhaps it may be time to see if Innuos has experienced similar issues with other customers which they have managed to fix. When I had an earlier different problem (between the Innuos and my Moon DAC which I was using at that time) about 18 months ago, Innuos did use an app like “team links” to control my computer and diagnose what was wrong and managed to fix it.

Hey @Graham_Cox,

Thank you for the clarification! Unfortunately, we’re not able to provide any sort of ‘Teamlinks’ option at this time. I do think getting in contact with either of the Roon dealers I mentioned above may be the best next step.

Outside of that, I would double-check system-level settings on your laptop, to see what your I/O settings look like after selecting Roon on the Innous. From there, check your Audio and Storage settings in roon as well, to make sure the Innous is selected.

Certainly, keep me in the loop, I am here to answer any additional questions you may have :+1:

Hi Ben,
I did reboot the Innuos after taking out the power and ethernet cables and it clearly states that it is connected to the internet. I have selected “Choose your Roon Core” option but as before, it keeps constantly searching and not finding anything.
I do not understand “System level settings on my laptop”- how do I find that and what are I/O settings that you mention. I have also gone back into Roon on the Innuos but I can’t see how to check “Audio and storage settings” on the Innuos so I will ask Innuos how to do this.
I will keep you updated.
Graham

Hey @Graham_Cox,

My apologies for being vague, I would triple-check the firewall settings on your laptop to make sure they’re open to receiving the Innous.

It looks like your Innous came online about 9 hours ago, but hasn’t been seen since. I’m not sure what may have happened around that time, but it popped up and was discoverable by our servers briefly.

Have you managed to contact either of our dealers in the area for in-person help? I’m afraid with your specific setup, this may be the best next step.

Hi Ben,
Thanks for your reply. Innuos have steered me to download Roon again and have got me back to the same place that your team got me a week or so ago in that I can now see the Roon library again on my Apple Mac but it plays through the laptop not through the hifi despite it saying that the Innuos Statement is the core. How can I get it to play through the hifi?
In addition, there is no icon for this new version so I am scared that I will lose it like I did before and how can I differentiate any new icon from the old “non working” version for which there is still the icon showing?
If we can get it up and running again, how on earth can I stop this problem recurring when there are any future updates?
With regards to contacting those 2 dealers, I haven’t bought anything from either of them for over 20 years and I bought my Innuos Statement from Home Media Limited in Maidstone with whom I have been discussing this problem and he has advised me to contact Innuos and yourselves which I have done. He was the dealer who originally installed Roon for me when he delivered the Innuos in 2020.

As mentioned previously, whilst the Roon access problem continues, I am using the Innuos library to play the music on the Innuos (which does feed the hi-fi) and only going into Roon when I am trying to fix the problem so this will explain why you will see me on-line with Roon for short spells.

@Graham_Cox is the HiFi available as an option when you select an audio zone from the bottom “playing area” in the Roon app?

If not, then does the hifi show up as an audio device when you go to Settings > Audio in your Roon app?

1 Like

Hi Red R
I think I made an error when you got me to this same screen last time as it asked me to name the Core so I put “Statement” thinking that it would play through that. As such, all I see at the bottom right of the Roon app is “Statement” but it only plays through the laptop not through the hi-fi. When I go to Settings>Audio, again it just gives the statement as well as what I assume is the laptop “address” numbers but there is no other option.

Hey @Graham_Cox,

There’s good news here, in that you shouldn’t have to worry about the specific Roon application Icon, it will always open the new version for you (and I see that your Macbook as well as statement are on the new build, which was a crucial piece of the puzzle - nice work!)

This is great progress! At this point, all we have to focus on is switching your audio zone, which @Red_R did an awesome job breaking down.

More good news here - I am able to check your account details, and I can confirm that, even though you may have accidentally re-named your Macbook, your Innous is still showing as the core device, with the Macbook still acting as a roon remote, which is what we want :+1: you can always click the pencil icon to rename an audio zone if you need to clear things up.

There is a refresh button on the Roon Settings>Audio that should be available both with ‘This Mac’ as well as ‘Connected To Core’ - can you click that and see if helps refresh your Innous to show up? It is odd that your hi-fi doesn’t show up under the ‘Connected To Core’ options. Here is what my settings look like, just so you have a reference:

You can ignore the audio options under ‘Connected To Core’ in my screenshot.

Hi Ben,
OK I’ve gone into Settings - Audio and renamed the Statement as you explained. However, there is no sign of the Innuos Statement being identified as the Core. All it shows is as follows (as per your screen I detail the equivalent descriptions on my screen)
At the top it has 2 panels (not 4 as shown in your screen). The first one was the one named as “Statement” which I have now changed to “MacBook” - “Audio will play out the default device”; the second panel shows “MacBook Pro Speakers - CoreAudio”. Then it has the heading “Connected to Core - These devices are connected to your Core” and under that it shows one panel “USB DAC with XMOS xCORE U8 - ALSA”. Below this panel it lists a number of other network devices that can be enabled like TVs or Sky sat boxes etc. I assume these are the ones to ignore.
When I got to this stage before, I remember I clicked on the USB DAC box and that is where I lost any connection so probably that is what I did wrong.
As such the only other box above the “Connected to Core” line is “MacBook Pro Speakers - Core Audio”. Is this the panel I should click? I do not want to make another mistake. NB I have tried refreshing the page and it does not change any of the descriptions.
By the way, since I bought the Innuos, I have changed the DAC (from the Moon 750D to a Meitner MA-1) so could this have affected the settings and if so should I change anything?
I will await your advice before proceeding further.

Hey @Graham_Cox,

If you head to Settings>General, right at the top of that screen Roon will tell you what your core device is. let me know what you see directly under ‘General’.

Does it show a labtop icon, similar to the screenshot I shared? If so, that’s your MBP which is currently being used as a Roon Remote (which is what we want :+1:) and not your core.

I suppose the next question would be, how are your speakers/endpoints connected? Are they hardwired from your Innous core? Does it go Innous>Meitner DAC > endpoints?

It sounds like this is not your intended DAC? It sounds like there may be some additional things to do/ look into with the Meitner DAC you’ve recently added to your system. It is a Roon Ready device, so it should plug and play. Perhaps rebooting/reconnecting this DAC may help?

Let me know :+1:

Hi Ben,
In Settings - General it now states that the Statement is the Core which is progress.
Above the panel in the General setting, there is no icon showing. Only when I go to “Audio” the laptop icon appears above the panel which I named as MacBook and which is the current default. There are no icons above any of the other panels.
The connection scenario is: Innuos Statement > Meitner DAC > Vitus SS101 integrated amplifier > Hansen Knight Speakers.
I have disconnected the power cable from the Meitner DAC and left it off for a few hours then switched it back on again but that “USB DAC with XMOS xCORE u* - ALBA” panel is still showing and I have no idea what this relates to.
Also when I scroll down the “Setting” menu I clicked on “About” and it clearly shows that the Statement is the Core and that it has the latest version (Build 1182) installed and it also shows the Remote is “This Mac” but that shows the Build as 1169 and underneath it states “There was an error checking for an update”. This may be a later version but it is clear that the same problem exists i.e. when an update is available, it updates the Core but not my Remote which means that the problem is not solved long term even if we can get it working now.
Seems to me that we are very close to resolving this but cannot quite finalise the last piece of the puzzle and also there is a problem future proofing against further problems as updates become available.

Hey @Graham_Cox,

Before focusing on the DAC, I wanted to triple check that you’ve gone through the steps below via the Innous manual:
Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 2.31.03 PM

• This involves heading to my.innuos.com, selecting your Innous > Settings > Choose Server Integration > Roon Core.

Then, go back to your Roon Core Settings>Audio and see if you can enable the Innous:
Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 2.37.18 PM

Let me know if you’ve already done this before moving on :+1:

For the M1 DAC for now. How is it connected to the Innous? Can you confirm you have the proper input selected on the DAC that aligns with how it’s connected to the Innous? I see that both the DAC and the Innous require a USB Audio Class 2 cable.

I will wait for your reply before moving forward :pray:

Hi Ben,
OK I have hunted high and low for the tab “Choose Server Integration” and I can’t find it. When I go into Settings the following list appears:Under the heading “Systems” it lists “System Mode”, “Timezone” and “System Update”; Then under the heading “Help” it lists “Roon Troubleshooting”, “Contact Support”, “Restart Welcome Tour”, “Download System Logs” and “About Innuos Sense” and then there is an “Advanced Settings” button and when I click on that it lists “Offline Mode” and “Factory Reset”.
To select the Roon settings, I use the “System Mode” setting and that takes me into the settings for either using the Roon Library or Innuos library modes.
I will contact Innuos again to see how I can get to “Choose Server Integration” setting and let you know.
I went again to Roon Core settings but there is no mention of the Innuos in the Audio setting and still that strange “USB DAC with XMOS xCore UB” as the “Connected to Core” item.
By the way I have now tried the “MacBook Pro Speakers” setting instead of the “MacBook” output but the sound is still played through the laptop.
With regards to the connectors to the Meitner DAC from the Innuos, this is done using a Tellurium Q Silver Diamond USB cable which was bought when I got the Innuos and prior to the v2.0 change, the sound was playing through the hi-fi perfectly. This is an expensive cable so I would assume it meets all the necessary requirements and I very much hope that my dealer would not have sold an unsuitable cable.
I only have the Innuos and the CD connected to the Meitner DAC. The Innuos is connected via the USB and the cd is connected via the AES and I click the button on the remote depending on which unit I am listening to. I have double checked this and it is the usb input that has been selected and anyway, when I use the Innuos library it plays fine through the hi-fi.

Hi Ben,
Heard back from Innuos and they have said …

“Roon is giving you instructions on how to chose Roon Core mode on the old innuOS interface, on the new interface you need to do the following:
innuOS Dashboard > SYSTEM > SETTINGS > SYSTEM MODE > STANDALONE > ROON > PURE ROON CORE (left one)
Let me know if this was helpful.”

I have been doing this ok and this is also how I have been switching between the Roon and Innuos libraries too.

Hi Ben,
I took the plunge yesterday and turned off the latest Roon app (the one that I could see the library but it only played through the laptop). I tried the Roon icon to open that version today but it only came up with the old 1.8 problem version on the laptop again yet the Roon Core was showing v2.0 (build 1182). Once again the updated laptop Roon has disappeared into the ether. Does that mean I have to install it yet again? Just can’t understand this at all.
I would like to get Roon working but I am now losing hope. 3 months now without Roon working - not at all good value for money at the moment.

Hey @Graham_Cox,

This is odd, as I’m seeing your Macbook Pro remote still showing it’s version is 2.0 on build 1169. I’m not seeing any other devices on 1.8 across your account. There isn’t any need to install anything else Roon related at this time.

Are you referring to the Macbook Pro you are currently using as a remote? Are you saying you’re having a problem getting the Macbook Pro to connect to your Innous core? Are you able to temporarily hardwire your Macbook Pro remote directly to your innous Core?

Hi Ben,
There is a Roon icon on my desktop and when I open that, it opens the old version of Roon i.e. the 1.8 version on the Mac. I decided to go into the App section of that Roon icon and there were 2 other versions of Roon buried in there so I clicked on one of them and up came the new version of Roon (at least the 1169 build) so I can see that it is possible to get to it albeit in a convoluted way. (However, still only plays back through the laptop not through the hi-fi).
That leads me back to the 2 other messages I sent you with regards to the answers to the questions that you had previously posed. I assume you are still assessing these.
As far as hardwiring between the Innuos and the Apple laptop, it already is as the feed from the router is hardwired to the EE switch and the Apple is also hardwired to that same switch.
As Christmas is nearly upon us, I am not sure whether you will be replying over the next couple of weeks but I shall keep a look out in case.
Merry Christmas

1 Like

Hey @Graham_Cox,

Thanks for the update! To avoid getting the different Roon App icons mixed up, I would move the 1.8 version to your trash, and make sure to keep the 2.0 icon in your docker.

At this point, it is clear that our primary issue is the connection between the Macbook Pro and your Innous. We’ve discussed this before, but I would be interested to see what things look like if you bypass your network switches and connect the MBP directly to the Innous. That could give us an indication of any potential connectivity issues with your network switches.

Another thought, and temporary workaround for the holidays - you could connect your endpoints to your Macbook (still keeping your core as the innous) and select the output of your laptop (which would have your hi-fi system connected) to stream audio. Again, not a longterm solution, but would allow you to use Roon over the holiday period :+1:

My apologies in not getting you squared away and back to normal prior to this. I understand how frustrating it is to not have you system functioning as it should.

Hi Ben
Hope you had a good Christmas and (by the time you read this) a happy New Year.

I have been trying to sort out the wiring issues that you suggested in your last post as follows:

• I have bought a 10M long ethernet cable and connected it with a coupler to the ethernet cable connected to the router and plugged this directly into the Innuos. I then moved my laptop out of the room so that it could pick up the wireless signal and then I asked it to find the Roon Core. It failed as it only found the laptop itself and the Mac Pro Speakers which both fed the music through the laptop speakers. It would not refresh and find the Innuos as the Core.
  • I then tried using the 10M cable instead of the existing ethernet cable between my English Electric switching unit and the Innuos having plugged the router connected ethernet cable back into the switching unit. Again no joy.
  • As you know with modern laptops there are no direct ethernet ports so to connect the ethernet cable to the usb c ports on the Apple laptop I have to use an ethernet to usb c adapter. I decided to buy a new one of these to see if that was causing the problem but it did not correct the problem
    In addition, having delved into Innuos pages a bit more I did find out that the reference to the “USB DAC with XMOS score UB” is prefaced in the Innuos description with EMM which is the parent company of my Meitner DAC. As such, it looks as if that is referring to my DAC after all so that sorted that mystery.

However despite all this, I cannot get the Roon set up to work properly and as already advised, the laptop Roon is not updating to the newer versions whereas the Innuos is so it is falling behind the versions already.

Your further advice would be appreciated.