Hi Roon gurus @support:
Setup: I use a 2013 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM as my Roon Core running OS Sierra. I’m running Roon 1.3 (build 196). My watched folders are primarily on a USB hard drive connected to a 2015 iMac that is connected to my Airport Extreme router. My MacBook Pro is also connected to this router via a long run of ethernet. There is a small number of files on my core machine, but the vast majority (over 40,000 tracks, 2.5TB of music) are on the USB hard drive in two folders.
Issue: When I switched from 1.2 to 1.3, almost all of my music stayed on the USB hard drive but I moved the USB hard drive to a different location on the network. Specifically, the hard drive had been attached directly to my MacBook Pro core machine and now it is attached to the iMac described above. On my MacBook Pro, I turned on Internet Sharing (File Sharing) to designate the two folders on my hard drive as watched folders and added those folders. I did not assign a static IP address to the iMac or otherwise use SMB sharing, though I have a friend who is a roon user and IT professional who says I should do that and he will be helping me with that later today.
Roon then began scanning the tracks and then imported the tracks. The total number of scanned tracks was something like 45,000 but the total number of imported tracks was about 38,600. The first thing I noticed when importing was done was that my playlists contained a good percentage of tracks that were labeled “Unavailable.” If I searched for the album, however, I was able to find it in my library but it was labeled “Unidentified,” and Roon then presented me with option to edit the metadata (I think). I didn’t do any editing. Also, in the Overview section of Roon, I noticed that the albums that showed up as recently added were definitely not the same albums that I had in fact recently added using 1.2. So something went wrong with the importation of files.
The next day, when I went to use Roon, none of my tracks were available. When I went into Storage, the two watched folders containing most of my music said “DirectoryNotReady.” So I went back into Sharing, added those folders again, and Roon began rescanning and reimporting the music. When this was finished, Roon had imported the same number of files as before. But this time there were even more files with the Unavailable label in my playlists, and the playlists themselves were truncated. For example, a playlist containing 50 tracks would only show 23 tracks. Of the tracks that did show up on a playlist, the tracks that were contained on my USB drive were labeled Unavailable. But Tidal tracks in my playlists were left unchanged.
I then tried connecting the USB drive directly to my MacBook Pro core machine (in other words, going back to the same storage setup that I had been using with 1.2), and rescanned and reimported all of the music after designating the appropriate folders in Storage. Result: same issues as above.
Note: I do have a copy of my Roon 1.2 database folder from about a month ago. I should have made a copy of 1.2 right before I changed to 1.3, but if we have to go back to 1.2, I guess I’ll just have to lose changes I made in the last month.
Further note: If you need me to send logs or PM you or send any other info, please include instructions on how to do so as I have not done this before.