"Unavailable" music in playlists

Awesome, I’m taking the rest of the week off ;)[quote=“alwayslearning, post:21, topic:19940”]
And I should probably remove the three folders that say DirectoryNotReady before I type in the new locations, right?

BUT HERE’S THE $64,000 QUESTION: AM I THEN GOING TO LOSE MY COMPLETE PLAYLIST INFO WHEN ROON SCANS AND IMPORTS THE TRACKS FROM THE NEW LOCATIONS? DO I NEED TO MANUALLY COPY THE INFO I SEE NOW IN MY 50 PLAYLISTS TO ENSURE THAT I CAN AT LEAST RECONSTRUCT THOSE PLAYLISTS IF AND WHEN ROON SCANS AND IMPORTS THE MUSIC FROM THE NEW LOCATIONS? IF SO, IS THERE AN EFFICIENT WAY TO DO THIS?
[/quote]

Ok, in all seriousness, I think we’re through the hard part.

At this point, my recommendations are basically to follow what’s described in this Knowledge Base article.

More Info

A couple key points to reiterate, for those who want to understand this:

The most important thing to remember is that Roon is tracking every file in your library, and so you need to make sure Roon isn’t looking for the same file in two locations at once.

So, imagine you have a directory with 10 files. Then, you move that directory somewhere else, leaving Roon looking at a folder that is offline (DriveNotReady). In that state, Roon is still looking for those 10 files in the original folder, waiting for them to come back online.

If you leave that directory configured and then add the new location as a new folder, Roon will now be tracking 20 files, since the 10 files in the original location are still being tracked there.

Now, you’ve added 10 new copies of those files, and with 20 files in the database, you’ve gotten yourself into trouble. Playlists, edits, etc are tied to the files in the original folder, and the files in the new folder are considered “new”. Bad news.

On the other hand, if you follow the steps in the KB and simply edit the path, you are taking Roon’s understanding of the original folder and simply updating it to point to a new location. As soon as the path is changed, those 10 files are considered to be “missing”, and when the new path is scanned, the missing files are matched up to their signatures. 10 files in the database, all edits and playlists intact. :thumbsup:

@AMP’s suggestion would also work, since the files would be marked as missing when you remove the original folder, and would be matched up when you add the new location. However, because 1.3 allows for the editing of paths, this should no longer be needed.

If you have consolidated a few of your folders over the last month, just make sure you’ve removed the deprecated folders from Roon completely before adding the new location, because again, the key to all of this is making sure Roon isn’t looking for the same file in two locations at once.