MacOS 13.4

Eero 6Pro.

Connected Audio Devices

Devialet Phantoms -
KEF LS50 Wireless II wireless

Number of Tracks in Library

223,455 tracks

Description of Issue

I launch the application and after I hit play for 10 min or so the application unexpectedly quits. This happens regardless of the playback device that I’m using.

Do you mean that Roon Remote crashes? Or does Roon stop functioning completely… music halts etc.?
You do have quite a large library. About ten times the number of tracks that I have. Are these all local or also from Tidal/Qobuz? If so, do you have a substantial amount of tracks from streaming services? Maybe you could try to logout from these services temporarily, just to try if Roon operates smoothly without?

No streaming. The Roon core just quits unexpectedly. Doesn’t have to be playing anything. It could just be open with nothing streaming or playing, and it still quit unexpectedly

Hey @Gary_Clayton1,

When this crash occurs, do you receive an apple crash report? If so, can you please share a screenshot of it here?

If you could also share a specific date and time as well as the name of the track of when the crash occurs, that would be helpful as well.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

Hi Ben,

I’ve been through hundreds of them. Here is the latest.

Happened tonight somewhere about 5:30pm/ Hotel (Suite 23) by Alison Goldfrapp.

Hey @Gary_Clayton1,

Thanks for sharing that. Unfortunately, you’re experiencing a known issue with Mac devices that were currently working through. Here is the tracking thread:

It’s a high property for our team, and I’ll keep you updated with any new information as things progress. In the meantime, many have been able to navigate around the crashing by temporarily switching to running Roon Server on their Mac.

Roon server would replace your all-in-one application as your core. You can still operate Roon with the all-in-one instance though.

Steps:

1. Download and install Roon Server from my link here. Once Roon server is installed, you’ll see a Roon icon across your top menu. Click it and select the option to launch at startup.
  2. Take a backup of your database and put it in a safe location.
  3. Go to Roon>Settings>General and log out of your core. Select the newly created instance of a core (Roon server) and log in.
  4. Restore your database.

This should work as a solid workaround and won’t require you to leave the Roon interface up for Roon to function.

BTW…update on my system:

Mac Mini M2 Pro 12 Core
16GB RAM
MacOS 13.4.1

I plan to hold off and not use Roon server but rather wait for the updated client software. Is there an approximate ETA on it?

Hey @Gary_Clayton1,

We’re not able to speak on any specific timelines yet. The ticket is marked as a high priority though, and our team is actively working on it. I can certainly keep you in the loop with any new information as things progress.

If you do want to give Roon Server a try, certainly let me know and I can provide an easy step-by-step, just to try it out as a way to get you back to your music!

The installation looks trivial. I’m just content to let it sit until there’s an update that works for me.

Hi Ben…just checking in to see if there’s been any progress on this.

-g

Hey @Gary_Clayton1,

I don’t have much to report yet, unfortunately. This issue is still marked as a high priority and is in the development queue being worked on. I’m hoping to have more information to share soon.

My apologies for the long delay here. :sweat:

So, I installed Roon Server. I continually get a message “Fatal Error Cannot create lock file” and I crash. Thoughts?

Probably unrelated (except that it probably was an earlier crash that caused the lock file to be left behind without getting deleted). If the old lock file still exists and may have the wrong file permissions, the new one can’t be created. This helped other people but is a bit too heavy-handed:

… as @Nepherte correctly says in the subsequent post:

What should be done is to find the specific Roon lock file in /tmp and delete it specifically, or find the permission problem and correct it, not change ownership on the directory

Thanks but none of this makes sense to me nor should it have to.

Yeah, @benjamin can you look into this lock file problem as described above? I don’t have Roon Server running on the Mac and can’t try to see what the lock looks like.

Hey @Suedkiez and @Gary_Clayton1,

We are actively investigating it further, but don’t have any new information to share yet, other than the workaround which is what you’ve shared above:

Open Terminal.app on your mac
Type the following commands and hit enter after each command:

cd /tmp
then
sudo chown $(whoami) /tmp

You may be asked to enter your Mac password after that last command.

I will follow up when there are updates to share :+1:

Did this. Running locally. Still crashing.

Since this posting I have a new computer hoping this might help with the roon situation. M2 Pro with 16G RAM. Ventura 13.5. No difference.

Hey @Gary_Clayton1,

Thanks for the update. I’m not seeing any new devices from your account page - could you provide a bit more information around your process with the new computer? Did you migrate from your previous mac using Time Machine?

Did you suffer crashing from both using the all-in-one Roon download as well as Roon Server? On the new machine, do you receive the same crash report? Any additional details would be helpful. Thanks! :pray: