URGENT: I'm still getting nonstop "Tracks Not Available from Tidal" Errors! Please Help [Roon Investigating]

Please assist @support

I hate to say it, but I doubt Roon support will classify this as ā€œurgentā€. Youā€™re trying to run Roon on older unsupported software, Mojave. Iā€™d imagine their first response would be, upgrade your Core machine and see if the problem disappears.

In general, I think running Roon Core on any Mac other than the latest and greatest is a bit of a gamble.

I canā€™t even run Roon 2.0 on my MacBook Pro (2017) with Touch Bar running macOS Ventura Version 13.1 (which is the very latest and greatest). It keeps crashing and quitting nonstop also. Had to give up on that weeks ago alsoā€¦ before Xmas as I was wasting full days troubleshooting the whole thingā€¦ loads of people had similar issues. I tried recently again over this 1.8 issue and the same quitting issue. I just gave up.

Well I guess so much for the newer computer thought. I am running Roon on a MacBook Pro 2020 with M1 chip and have had no issues. However, and maybe this makes a difference, I am not running Roon as Core on this machine. The Core duties are being handled by a Windows10 PC that runs 24/7. I do have issues on that machine with Roon freezing and shutdown when playing something and being minimized but that is a known issue that seems is not on the priority list to fix (posts on it go back almost to the start of Roon).

I am going to use my MBP a bunch over the next couple of days and see if I have glitches with it. I donā€™t recall it ever freezing on this machine.

As for the M2 chip, I am reading a lot of posts and reviews from those saying to wait on the M3, that the M2 is way too similar to the M1 and perhaps too incremental of an upgrade. I am not a heavy user of my machine though and maybe the newer chip would benefit more heavy users. Personally I am smelling tons of deals and markdowns on the M1ā€™s ha ha.

2 Likes

Nice to meet you Larryā€¦

I have waited 13 years for this new M2 MacProā€¦ so once it gets reasonable reviews from the MacPro Community, I will be going all out for itā€¦ and hopefully this new machine will last me another 10 years plus.

Enjoy your M1 MacBook Pro, I have heard amazing things about them. I use my MacBook Pro as a PLEX Server onlyā€¦ so not going to be buying any new laptop soon. It does what I need it to do :slight_smile:

Have a look

Also look for FIXED GROUPS/Balancing or Adjusting Players

I have a Node 2i myself, but with an unmanaged switch wired to the router. Wifi, though 6 m away from the router, didnā€™t work reliable.

https://support.bluos.net/hc/en-us/search?utf8=āœ“&category=360000005167&query=Network

Setting ā€œvolume fixedā€ will give better sound!

No Tidal, so MQA is not enabled

Hey Axelā€¦ cheers for that post and inputā€¦ I used to use Fixed volume when I used my Node2i with Rotel HiFi systemā€¦ and change the volume using my physical volume knob on my ampā€¦ but that is brokenā€¦ so now I use all Bluesound devices onlyā€¦ so how can I turn up and down the soundā€¦ by manually adjusting the volume on the units themselvesā€¦ that would be a head wrecker as I prefer to control the volume using Roons granular volume controls, and adjusting to Fixed Volume, eliminates those controls in Roon and I presume the same in BluOS.

How would I get those controls backā€¦ or is that even possibleā€¦?

Not sure, Anthony
My fixed volume node is connected to an active speaker whose app I can use to set the volume, or adjust it if necessary.

1 Like

Lucky youā€¦ I donā€™t have that optionā€¦ I did with my old Rotel HIFI Amplifier systemā€¦ worked greatā€¦ but using these as standalone unitsā€¦ doesnā€™t seem to be an option I can figure out.

Not to be off topic, but, if you are using that PC as a core, then it should be running RoonServer (Roon without the GUI) and not Roon. If you then need to have Roon GUI access on that machine, after you install RoonServer, you can install Roon as a client to the already installed server. That way you donā€™t need to keep the GUI open 24/7.

Just recalled:

1 Like

Hi Rugbyā€¦

Not sure if that post was for me or notā€¦ but I have always only ever ran the Roon GUI on my MacProā€¦ never the Roon Server software. I only stream TIDAL music. No audio files used in my collection.

HI Anthony, No, it was a direct response to Larry.

1 Like

I use this hack/feature already to control the Audio Out sources on my Node 2i, but that wonā€™t give me that granular grouped volume controls you get when you have it set to Device Volume.

Thanks for all this research and assistance Axelā€¦ you are so patient and helpful and generous with your valuable time.

Anthony

1 Like

Try splitting the groups up and playing one at a time to various endpoints and see if the situation continues, or, if one endpoint is prone to issues than another.

2 Likes

I did that alreadyā€¦ and I thought I had it fixedā€¦ all was playing fine on one device, my main Node 2i connected to my MacPro via Opticalā€¦ so then I added the next (PowerNode 2i in my same office space) and all good againā€¦ I then added the third (my brand new POWERNODE in Living Room) and found the skipping track issues returned, so I left off that unit and only had a group of the two units that sit beside me on my office deskā€¦ but then the issue returned with them alsoā€¦ so then I reverted back down to my main Node 2i endpoint again, and the issue happening with that also.

I have spent so many hours on all thisā€¦ days at this stage if you add it all up. I just donā€™t understand what has changed my setup so muchā€¦ all was working fine before Xmasā€¦ now, it wonā€™t :frowning:

Hi Anthony,

Thereā€™s a lot to parse in this thread but I saw two possible solutions mentioned that I donā€™t recall if youā€™ve said you tried.
I once had the Tidal skipping tracks issue come out of nowhere and after trying everything it turned out my neighbour in the house next door upgraded their wifi gear and it was running on the same channel as mine.
So you might try a different wifi channel on your router.

And on an older core I started having track skipping issues at times (especially when using mild DSP settings)
Changing to Roon Server fixed it.
FYI: On my current Core Iā€™m using Roon Server as the Core - no audio devices attached - but I also have the full GUI version installed which I can use as a ā€œremoteā€ if I want to change settings, edit, etc from that machine

1 Like

First off, I live in rural Irelandā€¦ no one living next to me, for fieldsā€¦ lol

Your other suggestion is more interesting. I have never used Roon Server. I have a MacProā€¦ so what would I need to doā€¦

1. Install Roon Server 1.8 (as Iā€™m using macOS Mojave 10.14.6)
  2. Roon 1.8 GUI, is already installed on my MacPro ?
  3. I currently have my main endpoint connected via Optical to my MacPro and both my MacPro and Node 2i are connected direct to my 1000MB router via Ethernet.

What would I need to doā€¦?