Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB
Apple TV

Connected Audio Devices

Cambridge Audio CXA81 via USB to the Raspberry Pi
Cambridge AudioMagic 200 via Apple TV

Number of Tracks in Library

~20,000

Description of the issue

I updated my iPhone, iPad, and Roon Core (Server) on Friday to the latest builds. Since then, I’ve been running into the following issues:

• The app sometimes says “Waiting for your Roon server” even though the computer is on, awake, and the Roon application is open on the computer.
  • The app does not reflect the track playing (it will often show a track that has already played and the time in the track is frozen. I’m still able to navigate elsewhere in the app. So I know the app itself is not frozen. And when this happens, the music is still playing without any issues.
  • Quitting the app and restarting at least a couple times will usually resolve the issue.

Prior to this update, everything was working perfectly with the app.

Are these known bugs with the latest update or is there something else I should do on my end to attempt to resolve this?

8 Likes

I am having very similar issues

1 Like

Not sure if related - I posted in early release because that’s what I’m on, but there’s some speculation on this thread about whether there’s a reason why iPhone is worse than iPad.

2 Likes

Same issue here with iPad mini 5 - never used to happen I think this may have started after the latest update. My core is on Windows 11 btw and is an i5 machine, my wifi system is Orbi mesh wifi 6

Had the same issues, rebooting the core (server??) has fixed it all for now

did it stay fixed so far?

I doubt that it did, can you confirm? Put your iOS device to sleep but leave Roon Remote open (i.e. last app used before iPad sleeping), and wait 10 mins, then wake the iPad and see if Roon Remote is working.

Thank god its not just me. Symptoms include artists not loading or claiming I have a filter on, the app being very slow, some artists showing but when you go into them there is nothing just a blank screen. Playing music can result in skipped tracks, or hitting play does nothing.

At first I thought it was just me on IOS 17, but then my sons phone on IOS 16 started doing it. reinstalling the app seems to help for a while but then it hickups again. No such issues through windows or mac.

Same issues with iPhone 11 (ios 16.6.1) and iPad Air 5Gen (ios 16.6) but with no connection at all. Permanently “Waiting for your Roon Server”. Same with ARC.
Server (ThinkCentre M710q) running Windows 10 is operating and wired connections to server are playing music fine, so I guess my Orbi mesh network is okay.
I’m part way through gathering info to lodge with Roon, and so far I have found each wifi remote is using a different IP address from the server, and the server firewall (Windows Defender) has not allowed RoonServer to pass through.
The recent update is causing heaps of work and no (Roon) music in most of the house. I’m back to using Tidal and hoping Roon can fix for all, rather than 000’s of individual users messing with their previously stable systems.

Same problem here. Roon permanently loses the connection or crashes on iOS or iPadOS devices after the latest Roon update.

1 Like

I may be misunderstanding your comments but, Every device in your network will have a different ip address and that is fine. If windows firewall is blocking access to Roon then you have found the likely cause of your problem, you need to allow Roon to pass through the firewall to give devices access.

Same here with iPhone. Once I turn off the phone and reboot, Roon is fine again.

Mac mini runs fine as a Roon remote, even when iPhone is not.

Not sure if any of my audio chain is influencing this. But I’ll post in case
NUC i5 with Linux for Roon - HQPlayer Mac Mini (as a Roon remote) - RPi by ethernet - DAC
Using iPhone 14 running IOS 17.1.1 as another Roon remote.

1 Like

I too am having identical issues with the iOS app after the update. My Windows 11 laptop now has Roon Server running on it.

I have noticed that if I open my Roon app on my Windows laptop, the same computer now running Roon Server, and have both operating together, the IOS app becomes much smoother and less fraught with bugs.

By the way, I am happy about this update. I’m confident the iOS issues will become resolved soon.

The same thing here, operation via the iPhone often requires restarting the app. An old title is displayed and operation is not possible. The Roon app must be closed completely and restarted. Listened to music 5-6 times for 2 hours last night.
I don’t know that. Somehow it doesn’t get any better.

I had the same issue, iPhone performance was really terrible after last iOS update, constantly freezing. At first, I assumed it was because I was still waiting on the latest Core update, but no change even once that was applied. I deleted the Roon.app from my phone, and reinstalled. Still no change, BUT after a day or two, performance did improve somewhat. It’s not 100% but is much better now, and it doesn’t seem to freeze nearly so often.

I am experiencing the same sort of issue.
My IPad Pro has been experiencing poor connectivity for a while now. I only use it as a roon remote but it’s constantly losing connection.

This has been getting steadily worse since ARC I think. This latest update has made it virtually impossible to enjoy roon.

I have to turn my iPad off and switch on again even if I am doing nothing else with it.

Yes this fixes the isssue, but only for a short while

Would love this sorted

Same here on ipad and esp. on iphone. Sometimes it takes minutes for a page to load. core is nucleus+.

Best,
Christoph

Count me in too!

• Roon Server, build 1353 running on dedicated Mac mini core I7
  • iPad mini
  • RoPieee

Moved this to support so they have eyes on it.

2 Likes

I expect you are correct. I’ve reminded myself that the old mini pc I have been using was just a free test-bed when I first subscribed to Roon, and that the goal is to listen to high quality music (rather than spending time burrowing into Windows). Long story short - my new Nucleus should be delivered in a day or two and I look forward to many maintenance-free years listening to brilliant -sounding music!