Very strong distortion [Resolved]

Since some time I hear a very strong distortion when playing music with Roon. First I thought it was my amplifier, but it happens on all my endpoints. I can even hear it very well on the little speakers on my iMac.
I can give an example from Tidal (so it has nothing to do with the way my music is stored):
Take my to the disco from the album with the same name from Meg Meyer. The distortion starts at about 1:05.

When I play the same song from with the Tidal application, there’s no distortion…
Has anyone encountered this problem lately?
Roon is running on an Intel NUC / ROCK. I have restarted this computer.

Hey @Arie_van_Boxel — Thanks for reaching out!

May I ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

May I also ask that you please verify the following:

• Does this only happen with certain types of tracks/file types?
  • Does this behavior occur every time you get to the 1:05 mark of this song?
  • Can you confirm that Roon is up to date?
  • What kind of TIDAL subscription do you have? Does it happen for all TIDAL content?
  • Since noticing this behavior have you tried power cycling your Core machine?

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan,

Here the info you ask for.
Version of Roon:

1.5 (build 334) stable (640bit

Operating system:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Device info:

iMac Retina 27-inch, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 / 32GB

Music location: Not relevant I think, cause the problem also occurs with Tidal. For the record:

QNAP TS253PRO with 2 WD Sata disks, connected via network.

Collection size (approximate number of tracks) :

11500 tracks

It always happens when I play the above mentioned song. There is more Tidal content, that has the same problem (but not when I use the Tidal application). I use the €9,99 ($9,99?) Tidal subscription, so the ‘low’ quality. As for now I didn’t notice the distortion when playing music from the NAS.

I have powered down the NUC, removed all cables including power for a minute or so.

Thanks for the details, @Arie_van_Boxel!

Can you confirm if this primarily happens with AAC files and not FLAC? If so, I’d recommend you check out this thread:

This is something the team is currently working on resolving. There are some troubleshooting steps and solutions you can try in that thread as well.

Thanks,
Dylan

Thanks Dylan,

I have replaced the ffmpeg file with a newer one and my problem has gone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.