VirtualBox / Roon / OpenGL issue and what about Containers

Has anyone managed to build a VM with “Windows10”, then install roon and run as a endpoint with any success. ( not a server )

My config: Linux OS installed on the hardware.
Oracle VM Virtual box is the ( VM layer ) inside Linux
Windows 10 is the VM in Virtual Box

Problem: After you install Roon its fails to open.
Reports this error: can’t find WGL functions required for OpenGL.

Have not tried Docker yet but I would assume the same results. If anyone has then send me comments.

Thanks for the time.

Oracle VM Virtual Box

Roon GUI needs OpenGL but I think VB still doesn’t enable it by default. But I believe it has been an optional configuration setting for ages. You’ll just have to try with your graphics card. See the VB forums

1 Like

Why would one want to do this? What is the point of an audio-endpoint isolated inside a virtual machine without connection to the outside world? How do you want to listen to your music playing?

Because the virtual graphics card lacks support for the needed OpenGL? You may have to give the VM access to a physical GPU to overcome that issue. You may also have to give the VM access to a physical interface (USB-port or sound-card) to play music (to use Roon inside the VM as endpoint by your initial request).

You know, other Linux and Roon users use Wine (as suggested by Roon Labs):

For some the (virtual) audio devices seen by Roon inside Wine even work out-of-the-box for playback on the local PC, for others they don’t. So far no user has presented a recipe to make them work for all installations. In this case there is still the Roon Bridge for Linux available for download and install should you need local playback functionality.

Note: For some users the (technically outdated) Linux Roon Bridge lead to system lock-ups though on newer distributions.

PS: Roon Labs may suggest the use of Wine for Linux users but that sadly doesn’t make it supported though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, Great anternatives. Well, I am still looking for a way to deploy a Linux workstation with a hypervisor and inside the hypervisor build a VM. Then inside that VM install Roon. Using Roon inside the VM as a GUI ( like a window or IOS control point ) not as a audio endpoint. In the past I have passed usb type audio devices to VM’s inside Proxmox but this was for a Audio DAWs. Since Roon only installs on Hardware with Window or IOS then my VM is limited to those OS. I have deployed several Extension and bridges inside Linux so I do understand the work done here. I have applications running wine too but today its all about VM. I hope this is a better explanation of what I am working on. Thanks for the comments.

How do you access the VM’s desktop? You probably use Microsoft’s Remote Desktop for that? Maybe this threads solution works?

Note: Your setup is complex. You need to make sure that there is a (virtual or physical) GPU available inside the VM that supports OpenGL 3.0. You need a driver for said GPU that also supports OpenGL 3.0. You need a way to remotely access the desktop of the VM that supports higher level graphics functions like OpenGL 3.0 too. Standard Remote Desktop of Windows uses a virtual GPU and driver without support for such. Maybe you can find a working recipe online using search terms like “remote windows gaming VM”?

PS: Linux users (including myself) nowadays use Proton/Wine to run Windows games (and Roon) on Linux.

I was facing the same issue on Ubuntu 22.04 in trying to get a working Roon client (e.g. remote). I started with Wine and sometimes it works and then after an update it stops working or it crashes all the time. Couldn’t get it to work with VirtualBox, with 3d acceleration disabled Roon won’t start and gives a message that OpenGL is missing. When I enable 3d the app starts but the screen is all black. I did get Roon working without any issues with the ‘free for non-commercial use’ VMWare Player. I would suggest you do the same.

It shouldn’t be necessary to play around with Wine, VirtualBox or VMWare Player to get a working Roon remote on your desktop computer if you don’t use Windows or MacOS. It might be a minority opinion but 90% of all the new developments of the last few years coming out of RoonLabs I don’t use, need or want. Frankly I don’t like the direction they are going. I would rather that they prioritize developing a (simplified) web interface for Roon. That way a Roon GUI would be available on almost all platforms.

This would of course be the case as well for a native Linux client as far as 90+ percent of Roon users are concerned

True. That’s why I am not asking for a Linux client but would like to see a web client. I think that a ‘no install required’ client is a plus for everybody.

The ‘new development’ stuff I was referring to is the whole direction towards the cloud (despite that most of the work I was involved in for the last 5 years or so was cloud-based), “intelligent search” which can’t find my local tracks and ARC (I won’t open up my network for remote access, on the road I am using the Qobuz app).

Maybe, but if it’s limited it wouldn’t really help Linux users either. And everyone already has a limited client on the phone. On the other hand, a web player might not be a huge effort

Let’s wait and see what the “few surprises” are that the development team dropped for the latest release and awaits us in 2024.One can always hope… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The best Christmas tips…thanks a bunch…VMware did the trick!!! I worked Wine to death…on several Distros…just frustrations with my hardware. Big Bingo with VMware…thanks for the tip. So all you do is install Vmware player, update the tools in your VM, then install Roon and no WINEing. Thanks again…this is a real winning combo for ROON LINUX users… Finally no corky extensions ! This is it . Fantastic… I hope this helps others. Blasting ACDC!!!

OK, final Result is: Installed on real metal: Dell xps metal: VMWare Player / then update Tools in your VM app and install Windows 10 then Roon . HIGH FIVE>>>

My VM is Window 10. Linxu Distro MINT…Now Moving on to building a VM inside a Proxmox server. Thanks for the tips…nice job by all who sent a reply… I tried most tips but this is the real deal for me…