Volume control on ipad & iphone [Available in Build 831]

I wholeheartedly endorse this too. It is embarrassing with visitors, after saying how great the system is then taking multiple clicks and device openings to change the volume.

1 Like

I would like this option too. I fumble with the controls now. Let me know when the fix is implemented.
Thanks

1 Like

Two years ago next month I complained that I need two remotes to run Roon: my harmony elite for amp volume and my iPad for everything else. So far, nothing has changed, nothing is promised, and I am still juggling two remotes.

I love Roon; I am often a missionary. But this needs to change. I don’t like to complain, but this seems a problem that could be solved.

Am I wrong? Enlighten me.

1 Like

Search Deep Harmony.

Hey Larry,

I am aware of this extension. However, my confidence level in the skills required for implementation of this technology is not up to the task. Yes, I have a hub equipped harmony, but the documentation - I have read it all - is daunting. My hope is that Roon picks up this challenge and makes it possible for all users.

If not, I will grumble a little and curate more track lists. The software may not be perfect, but for me it has been life changing! Thanks!

Well, if you decide to give it a go, several of us running it are more than happy to help you work through the hurdles. Once it’s up and running it’s really solid and so nice to use just the Harmony remote for control and volume.

A Raspberry Pi with DietPi OS is the least effort to get it up and running.

Only one way to fix that and/or know that for certain :slight_smile:

I agree. I am reading the documentation now. Thanks for your encouragement. I have several questions.

First, my hub is on a different floor from my Nucleus. The hub is in the living room, but I have moved the Nucleus and my core to the lower level with my large floorstanding Klipsch system. Will I need to purchase a new hub (no big deal) just for this extension, or does location not matter assuming it is on the same local network? Can I use the Harmony app instead of the physical remote? Or can my elite switch from one hub to another without a problem? I am OK with a new hub, but I have no intentions of abandoning my Nucleus.

My system is Mac based, but I have a dedicated Mac mini (currently a Roon Bridge) that has not been upgraded to Catalina just so I can still access the hub.

So far, it seems that I will need lots of input from this thread to make this happen, and I am not yet ready to commit to it. My system is running great right now, and I don’t want to #%&K it up.

Let me subscribe to this feature request. Indeed annoying volume control but guess Roon may need to completely re-think the implementation of the app. High time. We are in 2020.

and here’s another +1… please consider this feature!

Probably best to post question in the DH thread here: Roon Extension: Deep Harmony - rich feature set for Logitech Harmony - #641 by Beer_Good

One hub should do, location does not matter, it only needs to be on the same network as the device that will host the extension and your Nucleus.

Yes, you can use the Harmony app and/or the physical remote. I only have one hub and don’t know how easy a remote can switch. I believe Adam has a couple as he’s included the ability to support more than one.

The Harmony mobile app does everything the desktop versions do/did just have to figure out the ‘new’ way. I kept the app installed on a Windows 10 machine for some time but haven’t used it for a year or more since I figured out the mobile app.

None of this will impact the Nucleus nor your ability to play music. It only adds another way to control Roon.

See you over on the DH thread.

Thanks, Larry!

Okay, so you have Roon playing and your phone rings. What happens to the volume control? I can think of a number of examples of why this seemingly great idea may not be that effective.

I don’t have an issue with the slider, but would like it to be a top window at all times. I don’t want to have to call up the queue every time I want to tweak the volume.

What will happen, is what happens when my phone rings while I listen to Spotify or Tidal - nothing to worry about indeed.

1 Like

The thread with the request also for Android got closed by the Roon COO as being duplicate with this thread. If this is duplicate, then please also update the title of this thread or even better - implement the feature!

Thank your for your input why this might not work - it does!

The Sonos app can do this since years - on iOS and Android - for the active zone in the app - without playing anything on the device itself.

The only question is: When will Roon finally implement it?!

Yes you are correct, I was wrong. I have done more testing and the Spotify app can also act as a remote (iPhone app controlling playback on my PC’s Spotify app) while instantly showing all of the correct playback info, lock screen, volume buttons, etc.

I just arrived on Roon coming from iPeng for controlling my Squeezeboxes on iPad and iPhone with the volume control buttons.
It’s really unbelievable sophisticated software like Roon is not able doing that. Controlling the volume now on iOS is quite clumsy…

Your iPhone just switches to the telephone mode.
Doing that with iPeng as a Squeezebox controller for many years. Very convenient…

1 Like

Please implement the (hardware) volume control buttons on iOS/iphones!

2 Likes