Roon interface volume plus and minus buttons (+/-) sometimes get stuck [Fixed with Build 1364/1365)

Hi everyone,

As we continue to dig into this volume issue further, we are seeing two distinct differences in issues.

1. The issue highlighted on this thread: the volume will immediately jump to 100% on its own.
  2. The volume will slowly increase incrementally 1% by 1%.

With that, we have two additional questions we’re asking:

1. Are you experiencing the first recognized issue where you’re seeing a sudden jump, or is it the second issue, where you see a gradual increase in volume?
  2. Did the behavior occur after switching between another app and Roon or were you using Roon for a while (over 30s) and the issue just started to occur?

We will start to split threads depending on which of the two errors your experiencing for better tracking :+1:

As a temporary workaround, for now, we highly suggest setting volume limits:

Hi @benjamin in my case it’s a sudden jump.

This may be relevant (feel free to ignore) but, I often set the volume of my iPad and a couple of seconds after i remove my finger from the control slider the volume count decreases by 1, strange….

(I may be venturing into other territory here but this link refers to another Max volume problem but it’s probably unrelated:- Max Vol

1 Like

Thanks Benjamin. I have just uploaded my logs to the indicated workdrive.zohoexternal file uploader.

The dreadful issue turned up twice last week. Can’t remember if it was Sunday or Monday, but I remember the local French time (16h17) and the day after again (7h55 or 7h58, not as precise, sorry).

One thing I noticed, is that it only happens when I use my Samsung Note 8 smartphone as a remote. It doesn’t occur with my wife’s old Huamei or more recent Samsung smartphone nor any of our personal windows computers as remotes. I run Roon on a Nucleus.

It may not help saying that such a potentially expensive Hi-Fi damaging issue should never ever occur, but it’s so shocking that I mention it anyway. That’s probably how anyone who’s experienced it feels.

If anyone knows of a better and safer than Roon system, please suggest, as we also get start & stop horrid pops on my digital signal fed monitors, and the alarm clock extension doesn’t show up in the extension list after using it for a week. Poor Roon experience here. I don’t care how much Roon life subscription, Nucleus and home network with 5 Rpis costed in the first place. If anything works safer and better, I’ll have it! Many thanks in advance for any help.

1 Like

I suffered the “pops” and resolved it by adjusting the “resync delay,” that might be worth checking out…

1 Like

Thanks for the hint. Have found the setting and will be trying increasing values. Very many thanks for your kind help!

I found that 500mS was sufficient for my needs but the resultant effect is pretty much immediate.

Good luck :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

Testing 100ms which seem fine so far. Thank you so much dear PixelPopper!

If the dreadful 100% volume is just as simple to sort out, I promise to apologise, pest no more about Roon, and praise Roon community.

1 Like

I suspect this will be more difficult to resolve, it’s been around for a long time and I’m starting to think there’s a general (but elusive) bug. This problem occurs in many different equipment types & combinations, this is pure speculation on my part of course but a resolution would be most welcome.

It has been around since I started with Roon in 2019 in some form. Happened twice during my trial period and at least once since then immediately following an upgrade.

It does appear to be an elusive bug. Isn’t that what prompted Roon to add the volume limiter option to each zone?

Hey @MBI,

Thank you for providing the info and the log set! This will be extremely helpful for our team to investigate further. And thank you @PixelPopper for the handy tip on the resync delay :pray:

We don’t yet have a clear cause behind this issue, but we’re dedicating the proper time and attention to it in hopes to find and release a solution as soon as possible.

In the meantime, there is a short-term workaround that involves a 3rd party automation app built for Androids. This is a less-than-ideal position to be in, but I believe it to be a safe option just for the time being.

Here is a helpful video walkthrough of setting up volume automation on your mobile device (compared to the videos specific steps on setting up a volume increase automation to help give you some ease of mind until we get a solution out to you : Control Android Volume Levels on a Per App Basis with MacroDroid - YouTube

With this walkthrough, you’ll of course want to set up a volume-lowering automation. The app being used is MacroDroid - https://play.google.com/store/apps/de…

Let me know your thoughts on this, and if it helps in the meantime :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunatly, I’m not getting the same MacroDroid “accessibility” screen shown in the YouTube tutorial. Do I actually need to buy the “professional” version of the app for this to work?

Hey @MBI,

No need to purchase any additional software for a workaround, you can always set volume limits in Roon for the time being.

As another thing to test on your end - if you disable “Enable Lock Screen Controls” under Setup in your settings, I’d be curious if you run into this issue again.

Overall, I have good news in that we were able to reproduce this issue on our end after all the help from the community. This will very much help with the turnaround of getting a solution built and released :+1:

I can’t yet speak on a specific timeline, but I will of course keep everyone in the loop as we make progress on it :pray:

1 Like

@MBI (and everybody else)

A pretty foolproof temporary “safety workaround”, let’s call it, is to simply set your Roon endpoint to “Fixed volume” and use the remote or (gasp) volume control knob on your preamp until Roon finds a fix. (When fixed volume is set, volume control doesn’t even appear in the Roon interface.)

If you are using DSP volume, just set the physical volume control on your device to something reasonable and then Roon can set a volume up to that point but obviously not above it. This also expands the slider (or contracts its range, depending on how you look at it) which makes the slider easier to set on an itty-bitty little phone screen. So it’s a good thing in any case.

The setting is per endpoint (Audio page in settings, scroll to the endpoint in question, click the gear icon, then choose “device setup”) so you can mix and match. At my house all the endpoints are either fixed or DSP already so I didn’t actually have to do anything.)

Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks for your workaround. However, I don’t have a preamp on my main system, which is only fed with AES digital signal. But there is a way to limit those monitors, which I’m about to do for safety reasons.

Thanks for the good news, Benjamin. Hope the solution is about to be found.

The first 2 times this happened to me the zone was set to fixed volume. So that may not be the best idea.

1 Like

I don’t understand. The “fixed volume” AFAIK is fixed at 100%. How can it go any higher? Am I missing something here?

1 Like

I don’t know what to say. It was during the trial in 2019. I had the zone set to fixed and controlled the volume from my Denon receiver. Don’t recall what led to the event but at some point it went to full volume with no limiters in place. That actually happened twice but the second time I had a max volume restriction in place on the receiver.

Yipes. That doesn’t sound like the same bug to me. But it sounds scary nevertheless. If it hasn’t happened since, that part’s good. But it’s the kind of thing that leaves a nagging doubt in your mind.

Volume limiter doesn’t seem to show up in my Roon zone settings, what’s causing this please?

For me using Windows 10 laptop remote it is the speaker icon lower Right next to the zone selection on the playback control bar. Select the speaker Icon, then the gear wheel and finally the volume limits. Not sure where it is on other remote devices.