What Slows Roon Down?

It’s a good Router :+1:

I tend to concur

1 Like

I had one found it not that great. In the router graveyard in the loft. Have quite a collection of them.

One has to wonder why Roon has to generate so much nothing else seems to. Feels like it’s once again poor Roon design decisions that don’t work on a standard home network.

1 Like

It was supposedly fixed in Roon 1.8 build 903. Perhaps Roon 2.0 has regressed?

Not here, my ROCK/NUC just made 433 requests in the past 24 hours (and it’s on 24/7)

Which one is good?

I’ve found it difficult shopping for routers. When I did buy it, I couldn’t find concrete information and testing on many of the other models / brands.

I see api.roonlabs.net showing in DNS logs about every 5 mins… probably not excessive.

I don’t use domestic stuff anymore, all my network gear is from Ubiquiti, using their UniFi range. So can’t really recommend much past these, but they require some understanding of how it all works to not cause more harm than good as it’s a managed network.

1 Like

That’s a massive reduction from when I moved my core to go directly to Cloudflare. Back then it was constant DNS lookups all the time.

I might set it back to my internal DNS servers and see how it goes.

I’m still using Cloudflare and no longer seeing 1,000s of DNS requests. As has been said, Roon Labs changed this behaviour quite some releases ago…

March 2022 I think:

1 Like

Thanks Geoff, I changed DNS to go directly to Cloudflare back when my DNS server was blocking Roon for excessive requests.

I must have missed this update change, but I will change it back to my internal server and see how it goes.

Continuing the discussion from Roon 1.8 (Build 918) is Live!:

Yet support always give this advice still. So not a 100% fix?

1 Like

I only have identifiable flacs and unidentified mp3s…

Now it takes more than 5 seconds to view the content after clicking on an album. Clearing the cache did not help this time.

Reboot roon and it will be fine for some hours - hopefully

1 Like

You are not alone, and I think Roon has been slow in searching since day 1 for me, even I only stream Qobuz, no local library whatsoever, but it is OK for me since I mainly using Roon radio.

Indeed! …and certainly not to reboot it every 24 hours to keep it working properly.

1 Like

By the way. Out of pure interest. Has anyone noticed any approvement after upgrading to the latest version?
In my case it has helped - at least for now.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed much improvement in search performance at all after update to 2.0.28. My main complaint continues to be searching/filter of tracks. I’m hopeful they will improve this based on what they announced yesterday, though!

1 Like

Hard to tell as a restart would improve performance for a day or two anyway. So, I guess I’ll know in a couple of days time!

1 Like