What streamer do you use?

Nucleus + Tedy Pardo Psu ==> YggY ==> Freya S ==> Nord Audio NC 500 ==> Goldenear one reference

2 Likes

Main rig: Devialet Expert Pro 440
Dining room: Orchard Audio PecanPi Streamer
Office: Orchard Audio PecanPi Streamer
Outside porch: Squeezebox Touch

1 Like

Hi,
I’m using a Nucleus since about 6 months. It`s great to use mostly with Tidal. And works really well with my Devialet 250 and MBL 126 speakers.
My cd players and LP 12 is out of use since I bought the Nucleus :slightly_smiling_face:.

Leif, Kalmar, Sweden

1 Like

I’ve done much the same as you. Sell the cd keep the tt.:+1:

Home office: Lumin D2 -> miniDSP 2x4HD -> Linkwitz LX Mini speakers.
Common for all other rooms: Odroid C2 w/DietPi (5.1.15-meson64 kernel with SMP PREEMPT) -> USB DAC of choice -> Amp of choice -> Speaker of choice.

For completeness, the chosen components in the other rooms are:

Audio room: DAC: Wyred4Sound 2v2SE. Amp: ATI AT528NC. Speakers: Linkwitz LX 521.4 Speakers (w/ASP).
Living room: DAC: Oppo Sonica, Amp: Emotiva XPA-DR2, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature III. Fluance Turntable.
Family room/HT: DAC: included in Emotiva XMC-2, Speakers: Emotiva Stealth 8 (powered)

2 Likes

2018 Mac mini as core - Cambridge CXN v2 connected via Ethernet to an ASUS RT-AX89X router.

Old ass Mac Mini to a Hegel HD25.

The files are on the Mini and the Core is running on a 2017 iMac in another room. The Mini was too old to run the Core reliably.

Hi @tomnpegs ,

I’m using a Allo USBridge Signature to feed a Sabaj D5 DAC. I use the Allo USBridge because the best input of the Sabaj is the USB and also because the USBridge is a good price/quality choise.
It work very well and i’m very please to use it as a ROON endpoint. I choosed Volumio OS but it doesn’t really matter as I use it as ROON enpoint. Roon recognise it directly when the Dac is open of course. It is driverless so nothing really to do, just plug it and use it. I tryed using my computer sever to use as a ROON apps but i had some tick and click sound from time to time. With the USBridge, the sound improved in everyway (a little) but still worth the money.

I generally use the network connection from the dCS Vivaldi Upconverter . It sounds very good using the dual AES-EBU outs . I say generally because I’m using my Aurender W20SE ( replaced the W20 in my system ) more and more often . With a dongle to the dCS Master Clock and JCAT’s USB filter , playing files directly from the Aurender’s SSD drives often sounds better than the ethernet connection from my QNAP to the dCS Upconverter ( at some point , I will experiment with using the Aurender’s dual AES-EBU outs to the Upconverter ). As an aside , I use a dCS Bartok in my video room and that is one terrific products . I have many systems but if you’re looking for a relatively inexpensive product that punches well above its weight , take a look at Nativ . Absolutely gorgeous and flawless performance . The streamer works great and its companion D-to-A converter and external power supply are quite good . I purchased the Nativ system when first offered through crowd-funding so I don’t know what happened after my purchases were delivered . I hope they made it .

1 Like

I have a ROON Rock running on a NUC8i7.

I have been using a Bryston BDP-2 streamer with upgraded audio card (so essentially the same as a BDP-3 with a slower processor), but I have recently started experimenting with using the NUC connected directly to my DAC (Denafrips Terminator) with USB (AQ Diamond) and I think the sound is as good as using the streamer. So I’m probably going to sell the Bryston.

I’m using a Linear PS (ZeroZone) on the NUC, as well as an EtherRegen (currently have the NUC and connection to router on A side, and BDP-2 on the B-side, but will move the NUC to the B side if I sell the Bryston).

I also have a bunch of Bluesound Node 2i streamers driving other zones around the house.

I started my streaming experience via Bluetooth only using a Relay made by a Canadian company called Mass Fidelity.

I returned that product due to too many drop outs.

I think I then turned to Google’s Chromecast, before graduating to Cocktail Audio’s N15 D.

I recently sold that (and my Amp and CD separates) in favour of a Lindemann Musicbook:Source and Power:500

Very happy and hoping to avoid future bouts of upgraditis, primarily, because I am not sure I can afford another!

CambridgeAudio 851N (PurePower1050 with Supra Powercords) and AudioQuest Mackenzie XLR

PS Audio Direct Stream DAC with Network Bridge II. I run wired Ethernet from my main house from a Dell PowerEdge computer running Roon through an outdoor network cable to the back detached playroom to the DAC which is connected via XLR cables to my preamp in my main stereo listening setup. I have been very happy using this as a streamer. The network Bridge II card makes it a Roon Endpoint. The beauty of this solution is that upgrades are released for the DAC periodically. So far each one has improved the sound. The sound quality is amazing! I used a Meridian Explorer II DAC and an UltraRendu before. I usually control the songs with Roon Remote on my mobile phone. I have Wi-Fi in the playroom. I dropped Tidal and now just use Qobuz and have not looked back. PS Audio Direct Stream DAC I hope this helps.

Hi, I love the Nucleus!

Integrated Amp: YBA Heritage a100
DAC: Chinese SMSL SU8
Streamer: Roon Nucleus with Qobuz

I still stream Spotify / Radio to wireless speakers around the house which are also Roon Ready.
I still don’t understand the point of buying a streamer when you can get a Nucleus…

4 Likes

Pink Faun Audio Streamer -> I2S (HDMI) -> Pink Faun DAC 3.32 -> Roksan K3

Previously used Squeezebox Touch. Love the Pink Faun sound.

1 Like

ROON Core Server

Intel NUC 8 Mainstream Kit (NUC8i7BEH) - Core i7, Tall, 2-Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 (16GM Ram), Transcend 256GB Nvme PCIe Gen3 X4 MTE110S M.2 SSD Solid State Drive (OS-ROCK), WD BLUE 3D NAND SATA SSD, 2 TB Hard Drive (Storage), Akasa Turing Intel NUC Fanless Case, ROON Lifetime Subscription

Endpoints

Marantz SR7013 AVR (Airplay wired ethernet connection to switch) – Home Theater

Yamaha WXC-50 (Airplay Wi-Fi connection to the router) RCA to an Onkyo TX-NR3008 AVR – Audio/2nd Home Theater Room

Denon Home 150 Speaker (Airplay Wi-Fi connection to the router) – Living Room

Denon Home 150 Speaker (Airplay Wi-Fi connection to the router) – Bedroom

The Marantz and Denon Speakers use HEOS but it is really Airplay for streaming

The Yamaha uses MusicCast but it is really Airplay. There is no volume control with my setup as it outputs to the Onkyo where volume is controlled.

The Yamaha WXC-50 is an excellent streamer/preamp that has additional abilities. It is an older design, but I like the DAC it has in it. The build quality is top notch. Cost is $350 new.

1 Like

How good are those little Denon Home Speakers though! All amazing but the 150’s destroy the competition.

1 Like

The are great. Stream ROON, HEOS, and my daughter uses the Bluetooth from her phone. Very versatile and they sound very good for their size.

A Roon Nucleus into a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 which is powered by a Teddy Pardo power supply and and feeding a PS Audio DirectStream DAC via its I2S input.

1 Like

Auralic Aries G1 -> Bryston BDA3