What's coming in Roon OS 2.0 (not Roon 2.0, but Roon OS 2.0)?

I found a 5i5 RYH 16Gb on eBay for £90-works a treat. I have 25k songs on a NAS, TIDAL, and 3 endpoints (CXN V2 and 2xLogitech Squeezebox duets-which we’re £30 each from CEX).

1 Like

I love the ROCK, and thanks for all the work on this.

I would strongly vote for fixing the CD Ripping. Just having it work continuously would be a huge plus. I would then ask that it at least adds the basic tags to the ripped files. This would make this very very convenient for those of us with large CD collections, and storage that uses these files elsewhere other than Roon. It doesn’t need to get crazy, but just a simple Album/Track title at least (and name the files with this as well?). If it can’t find tags, then just don’t (to keep the no user interface setup). Most albums should be easily retrievable (at least on common CD’s). It could be easy for us to identify tagged/untagged based on if the file is Track01 or Album_Track#_Title.

Thanks again

2 Likes

I think that in the web interface the unit formatting button is too accessible. One can confuse it with the reset button and cause a big problem. I think the interface should take much more account of this.

3 Likes

My Nuc with Rock is working fine!
Missing one thing: the ability to use a Merging Anubis.
I understood that currently I must have a Linux machine with ALSA driver.
Can the ALSA driver be added to Rock?

ROCK is using ALSA.

I assume this is a screenshot from an endpoint (computer).
The ALSA driver is active on the endpoint , not the Rock.
I do not want to run an extra computer besides my NUC just to run the ALSA driver for the network DAC.
If I use a NUC with Linux, it is possible to run both the core and the audio driver, resulting in the possibility to stream to the network DAC (The Merging Anubis has no USB but is strict AOIP)

If you look at the top of the pic, it is showing connections on the core, I did not bother to show the connections on the remote pc as they are not pertinent. Rock based on Linux uses Alsa. The issue, I think, is that merging requires a driver for ravenna/alsa.

In that case, don’t run ROCK. Run Linux and run the Linux RoonServer, then load the Merging drivers.

1 Like

I vote for showing “What’s playing…” on the HDMI .

1 Like

You cannot modify the Rock installation by adding any packages. If you want other services you must install on a Linux or Windows server, but not Rock.

You need a Ravenna Alsa driver which is something completely different. Usb to Rock is fine via Alsa as it is supported native.

You need a computer in between your device and ROCK to do the Ravenna conversion…

Thank you Jonas.
I understand that on the Rock USB is supprted and not ALSA.
That’s why I ask to implement Ravenna ALSA drivers in Rock version 2.0 :wink:
Then I need no extra computer.

The main reason I’m not installing ROCK on my fully compatible NUC as planned (and I would really like that), is the fact I need to install and maintain a full Plex media server, so I can listen to my music out of home. Mainly car and office, so I listen as much using Plexamp out of home, as I listen to Roon at home.
It would be much more comfortable to only have to maintain one music server.
The reason I have to pay monthly for a plexpass because of the lack of this is also the main reason I don’t buy a lifetime.
It’s actually biting ROON back in the ass now, because Plexamp en plex media server are really becoming fully equal alternatives to ROON, with the support of out of home listening and all the new features in Plexamp. So I think if we don’t adress this at the Roon-side, it’s only a matter of time till Plex has catched up on supporting airply for multiroom. And then I can just fully switch to Plex instead.

And second, a big bump up for using the HDMI output.
I would prefer an option to show system stats, whats playing and all signal paths of current streams as a dashboard.
If that’s not an option, at least the ‘whats playing now’, but then we need an option to toggle between different locations. The cromecast solution as proposed above is stuck to one endpoint. And if I want that, I just plug a chromecast in that display, and then I can control it from my roon controller. Far better then a ‘chromecast like’ output on the HDMI.

Third: It would be an absolute dream to maintain all my riopeee endpoints in Roon. Just limit it to one spec of raspberry pi, like ROCK and NUC, and call it Roon Bridge OS or something like that.

Thomas I would both agree and disagree with your statements.

I am also a big Roon in the home and PlexAmp when travelling fan.
As much as I enjoy PlexAmp it is not getting close to Roon in almost any way. I like PlexAmp but would reach for Roon every time if I could. Though mobile Roon has been needed for several years, and is seriously a missing feature

I did build an Ubuntu based Nuc with Roon and Plex installed but went back to Roon on Rock and Plex on Synology and have been happy with that.

12 posts were split to a new topic: Maintaining RoPieee endpoints in Roon

Hi Michael,
Depends on how you look at it. Technically and sonically: Yes. Roon is superior. And let me be clear, I’m an absolute Roon enthousiast.

The way Plexamp handles my music, does continuous playback (another thing missing in Roon), the way the algoritm proposes new tracks based on previous ones, or an album, or a playlist. It al just works and I haven’t found any flaws. So I’m talking about usability as a turn-key-solution.
In Roon I even haven’t find a way to import a playlist from another system and let Roon search the local tracks. That alone is almost a no go to run only Roon as a music server when migrating. How many people start with Roon as first music server (and start ripping cd’s for example)? 5%?

I’m not replacing Windows Media Center Edition 2005 with Roon. Who is?
I want to use Roon to replace my streaming service (Spotify for the most), but am not getting anywhere near. All usecases around me want to use Roon to replace Spotify by local and losless music.
And every case ended up with a Plex subsicription, Roon subscription AND Qobuz subscription instead :slight_smile:
But the music quality is at least up par again.
Kind Regards, Thomas

2 Likes

Has this gone off topic?

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve split out the RoPieee discussion.

1 Like

I point my Plex Music library to my Rock Internal Storage folder so I have just a single library to maintain.

Newer Windows banned less secure SMB V1 to connect as Network Drive