Who has a turntable in their setup?

The Shure VI5 Type V-MR cartridge was my go to cartridge for many years back in the pre-digital era. Great all round performer.

I had a Dual 1019 and eventually a 1219.

I used an Empire 888TE cartridge.

I cannot recall why I bought a Shire V15 type II to replace it, but the difference was one of two great sound quality events I had when I was an audiophile.

But does the needle have to be straight?

4 Likes

Depends on the shape of the tip.

1 Like

At least there’s a tip. I believe it’s elliptical, seems like a Jico SAS is a good replacement. A bit pricy though.

1 Like

By the looks of the stylus I would say that the tonearm’s anti-skate setting needs to be adjusted. So much to fiddle with when it comes to analog/vinyl playback: tracking force, anti-skate, VTA and speed.

Have fun!

1 Like

Ouch…but I have seen worse…lol.
Did it arrive like that?
Or is it another victim of the infamous " cleaning lady"

Pretty sure these go around their cleaning regimen singing Another One Bites The Dust!

3 Likes

It arrived like that. To be fair, the pickup was a bonus, I didn’t expect it to be a part of the deal. I’ve no expectations about it sounding anything but crap in that state. I might try a Denon 103 on the Sony. It should be a very good match for the tonearm according to the internet. And what’s on the internet is always true, am I right?

3 Likes

The internet is Gospel :wink:

TBH I have tried two 103 before, one stock and one highly modified in a Zebra wood housing.
Neither impressed me.

2 Likes

Absolutely (unless it’s about politics, science, nature, life, audio, video, computers, cars, boats and just about anything else!)

4 Likes

Now, i don’t know what it takes to impress you hammer, but i can assure you that the DL-103-family can sound very good, with a drive and suave that the price don’t reflect! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A new turntable (Thorens TD 1500) replacing my 40-year-old Rega Planar 3.
It comes with Ortofon 2M bronze cartridge, but I also have an Audio-Technica AT440MLa.

7 Likes

Thats lovely! Has the tone arm got an SME-bayonet? And the platter seems “weighty”!

1 Like

Yes, it comes with an SME-type headshell ! The platter has a Thorens 3-point suspension, I need to get used to it when I lift the arm, hehe. :blush:

2 Likes

As Shania Twain once said… :innocent:

I probably did not have a good match at any time for the two 103 I tried but I also have a raft of cartridges at my disposal so I’m also a spoiled brat…lol

2 Likes

I must disagree on the 103…that rhymes. Not sure I could count the cartridges I’ve cycled through but a couple of Dynavectors and a Benz Micro Ruby were some of the highlights. I’ve also run a standard 103, 103R, Zu 103 and Zu 103R. All the others are gone and the Zu 103 (non-R) Mark II Grade 2 is a keeper. So much is dependent on the rest of your system. For sure this is a case of system synergy. Most people seem to like the R better, but I found it just a tad bright for my speakers.

I’d highly recommend checking out the 103 offerings form Zu Audio.

3 Likes

Thanks@TheHammer, I am thinking about adding a DD table to the stable and you gave me a little pause.

2 Likes

If you do your homework and find one that’s already been “restored” , although more costly initially, it would likely be a wise choice.

Nothing at all wrong with one of the great Golden Era DD tables, just need to shop wisely.

Enjoy the ride!

1 Like

My two newcomers.

Neither tested or restored and a cosmetically disaster. Just the purchase you adviced.

6 Likes

My collection of record players is growing! (Somebody told me it was acceptable to collect records, not record players… I don’t mind?)

14 Likes