Why does it have to be so hard to get Roon to work?

Just going thru my most recent episode of trying to get Roon working again. I know there will be plenty of Roon fans out there saying its just me but I dont think so. I’m reasonably sophisticated when it comes to tech things but this software just defies the odds when it comes to problems. And then of course support is non existent.Seems like Roon should be more turnkey functional if they hope to gain mass market share.

You haven’t given the “Roon fans” much to go on, what doesn’t work exactly?

1 Like

the software - just get the spinny icon thing - cant even uninstall

Well that narrows it down…

1. What platform
  2. What core
  3. Where’s your music library
  4. What endpoint
  5. What network topography

windows
roon Core
in c:\music
endpoint???
tpography??
I guess you you need to be software engineer to use Roon - pretty limited market for them

1 Like

been there done that before - pretty much an exercise in frustration-thanks anyhow

1 Like

Posting in the Support thread will get you in touch with Roon support, but it does seem they’re running behind of late - not doubt because of 1.8 issues.

If you search the forums, you’ll see a number of posts about the spinning icon and Roon not starting. Just a guess on my part, but it may be an install problem. Here’s a fairly recent post that sounds similar to yours and by someone likely as frustrated as you. But, he did eventually solve his problem. Might not be the same problem but worth a look…

Not sure if this will help but i had simar issue on my install. Windows computer couldnt get past spalsh screen with quotes.
I ended up finishing the install on an iPad and then magically windows and android installs worked. Since then seamless.
Just a easy thing to try from another device first.

For “platform” - what version of Windows ? There are differences between 7 and 10.

For “what Core” - describe the computer where the core is installed. What CPU and how much RAM ? Is your C drive on an SSD ?

For “endpoint” - describe your DAC and how Roon is connected to it. You may not be using an external DAC and just want to listen with the speakers attached to your computer. Is so, let us know.

For “network topography” or topology - describe how the core computer is connected to your network and how the network is connected to the Internet.

The answers to these questions can rule out or identify issues which may be causing the problem you are experiencing. They will also help Roon Support troubleshoot if the Community can’t solve the problem.

Every problem I have had with roon was down to my network and the way it was setup. Sorting out the network for roon to work with no problems, has meant that my network is more robust for everything I use on it ,not just roon.
I know it is a pain to have to write down what is asked for in detail, but giving vague answers will not help you or anyone who can help you sort it out, and at the end of it you will possibly have a more robust network as a side benefit.

For starters , do this and screen grab the info.
Where do I find the hardware information on Windows 10?

In the search box, type System Information, and then, in the list of results, click System Information. Or type “msinfo32” on the Windows Run. Find Windows 10 System Information. Just open the system information and navigate to find the exact hardware and system information.

Start a new thread in support with the info though.

The answer may well be that Windows Update has upset your PC ??? I updated as usual when available and no issues with Roon. Is your PC bog standard or has it got fancy video cards etc

Try filling this in , and flag @Support .

That will give the more technically oriented Roon Fan something to go at . It doesn’t work just isnt quite enough. It’s a bit like saying my car doesn’t work , but no info about specifics …

As a starter have you unplugged and cold start everything starting art the the modem then router etc

Has this happened since the recent Win 10 update, have you got the most recent manufacturers driver for your video card

There are loads of questions unanswered :smiling_imp:

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

TEXT GOES HERE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

TEXT GOES HERE

1 Like

Sorry for the frustration, @Bob_Mueller

I’ve moved your post over to Support — We’re happy to help get you up and running here!

Can you elaborate on what you’re seeing here? Maybe with a screenshot? With a bit more information I’m confident that we can get you up and running here.

Thanks!

it keeps telling me a version is running but noyhing is running where is it on the hd so i can stomp all over it and smash it into little pieces

Try this

///.

1 Like

the screenshot would just show your Roon icon doing nothing - don’t think that would help

I would be happy to provide more system info but please tell me what specifically you need and exactly where to find it

Now Roon starts but I get "no audio devices found and no options are shown on the audio settings screen

Go to File Explorer
Highlight C DRive
Right Click Go Properties
You will get

for more details go Device Manager

You will see

Expand Display Adapters

Sorry if this is Windows 101

thanks andybob, I will get all this info but none of it has changed from when Roon 1.8 was working fine.

Intel Core i7-6700 @3.4 GHZ
32GB RAM 31.9 available\64bit operating system
windows 10 Home
Intel HD graphics 530 display adapter
Audio I/O Lynx AES16e
Stereo Mix Realtek High Def Audio