Windows 10 : Blank (white screen) after maximising

I have checked and have been told that the driver is up to date. However, as I said, I can live with not minimising Roon. Thank you though.

I use Roon as a remote on my Windows 10 PC. Worked just fine, untill the latest Windows update, version 1709. Now Roon wonā€™t work: it stays blank, just a white page that is. I did a reinstall, to no avail. @support What can I do?

Thanks!

Marc

Hi @Bluebeat

I merged your topic into this one, itā€™s not too long and worth a read ā€¦ but the summary is to make sure your Intel HD Graphics card drives are up to date. Iā€™d recommend looking directly at the Intel site rather than Windows.

Thanks @Carl. I updated the drivers. It didnā€™t solve the problem. Canā€™t use Roon now, the screen stays white. What can I do?

Marc

Use the 32bit version of Roon as a workaround on your PC. That doesnā€™t seem to suffer from the graphics issue. Uninstall the 64bit version (but choose the ā€œkeep database and settingsā€ option during the uninstall process), then install the 32bit version.

Thanks, @Geoff_Coupe, Iā€™ll try that. A workaround is not really what I expect from Roon, but itā€™ll have to do. Hopefully thereā€™ll be no need for it in the near future.

Cheers

Itā€™s not in Roonā€™s hands to resolve the issue, Iā€™m afraid. See this post from earlier in the thread:

@Geoff_Coupe Yeah, indeed I see. Thanks for pointing that out.
Marc

Hi @Geoff_Coupe & @Carl
Well, I tried the workaround. No luck. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Marc

Are you able to regress back to the previous [stable] version of the Intel graphics driver?

Or consider installing a dedicated graphics card, say from Nvidia ā€¦

As an aside ā€¦
My PC has integrated Intel HD graphics and also a dedicated Nvidia card ā€¦ Roon was temperamental (white screen, poor rendering etc.) when using the Intel chip, however after I configured the PC so Roon used the Nvidia card not a hiccup.

1 Like

Yes, it is wonderful using a proper video card and drivers. Have you ever noticed UI lag between the two options on the same machine?

Hi @Carl & @Rugby

Took me the better part of an afternoon, but in the end I got lucky. Donā€™t know what did the trick exactly, but besides whitescreening Roon my laptop began to show other hickups too. So I tried a bunch of stuff. My guess is that a combination of driver updates (Intel graphics and Displaylink among them) did the trick.

Thanks again!

Marc

1 Like

Hi @Geoff_Coupe
On a side note: howā€™s life in the Achterhoek? Love your countryside house! Just found out youā€™re living more or less in between the place I was born and the place I live now. Quite a surprise :smiley:
Cheersā€™
Marc

Hah! Itā€™s a small world, after all - as they say. Life is good here, but it will be even better once we get a decent broadband connection. Things are afootā€¦

It may be small, but you wouldnā€™t want to Tile It :joy:

I am glad I found this thread. I am a new Roon user and itā€™s worked fine on my Core and my Surface Pro 3 that I use as a remote for my core to play through 2 different systems. But, I was having the white screen issue when I set up my office PC as a zone. It happened often when Roon loaded but then if I closed and re-opened Roon, it workedā€¦until I minimized and maximized Roon. Then, white screen.

I tried updating my Intel graphics driver and no luck. So, a quick trip to Microcenter and $45 got me a decent stand-alone graphics card. I installed it and all is good. I would not have known where to start had it not been for this thread. Soā€¦THANKS!

4 Likes

Iā€™m getting nothing but the white screen on my Lenovo t420s laptop. I donā€™t use it for control that often but I know it worked fine a few months ago. Now just white screen. Windows update or Roon? Dunno. Strangely, if I hook the laptop to an external monitor and drag the Roon window to it, it works fine.

Iā€™ve checked the video driver and it says itā€™s up to date. Anyone know of another fix for this laptop?

Did you check it using the Intel drivers site? Windows may not have the latest one.

You could try using the 32-bit Roon install if youā€™re not alreadyā€¦this seems to make the problem go away for many.

Actually, I did exactly thatā€¦ saw it posted elsewhere that the 32bit version might work. Unfortunately it made no difference for meā€¦ white screen remains.

Iā€™ll try the Intel site for drivers next.