Windows 10 : Blank (white screen) after maximising

D’oh, sorry it didn’t work for you - I never had much luck with trying new drivers to fix this but hopefully you might fare better.

This laptop does use the dreaded integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics. It turns out that I am using the latest driver (9.17.10.4459 5/19/2016).

I don’t use this laptop with Roon all that often, but I know some months back, it worked fine. Now I get Roon blank white screen, regardless of whether I have the window maximized or not. I have tried both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Roon to no avail.

This is not that big a deal since I can certainly use my iPhone or iPad to control Roon, but I am curious as to what changed to cause Roon to now display the blank white screen.

@support - any insight on this or should I just chalk it up to an old laptop?

Hi @mdconnelly ---- Thank you for the post and the question!

In regard to Roon, nothing has changed on our end that would cause this behavior to occur. As you maybe aware from previous threads we have commented on this observation you are making has to do with graphic drives and automated Windows updates. The only way to get past this behavior is to try and experiment with the drives that have been released by intel.

-Eric

@eric - thanks for the quick response. I may try reverting to an older driver when I get a chance. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything obvious.

1 Like

While the drivers from Intel haven’t changed in awhile, MS might have done something in their update. Below is the link to the Intel HD 3000 graphics drivers.

Roon has been suffered the dreaded white screen for the past few weeks. It’s the only program what suffers this way. However I have just noticed that when the Kaspersky Protected Browser is activated or running then the Roon display goes to “white screen”. Conversely when the Protected Browser is closed, the Roon display comes back to life!

I just got the dreaded blank screen issue, and it is extremely annoying. If I minimize Roon, I have to restart it to bring it back to normal. It is hard to believe Roon refuses to do anything to fix this is some way that can be acceptable.

The cause is the recent Windows update, the one which introduced dark backgrounds for standard apps (like Windows File Explorer). Looking at the graphics cards Events log, I see:

Device Manager > [your device] > Events

Intel HD Graphics 3000 12/2/2018
Driver Management concluded the process to install driver igdlh64.inf_amd64_e0797375598370d1 for Device Instance ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_054F1025&REV_09\3&11583659&0&10 with the following status: 0x0.

Nvidia 12/2/2018
Driver Management concluded the process to install driver nvacwu.inf_amd64_9d2734742a07f3cf for Device Instance ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DF4&SUBSYS_05501025&REV_A1\4&21075178&0&0008 with the following status: 0x0.

I tried to roll back the Intel driver but Windows refused to install it. The driver I got from a link posted in the forums was really old.

Hope this helps Roon do SOMETHING about it. Or, what am I supposed to do now, never minimize Roon?!

I take it you’ve tried using the 32-bit version of Roon instead? Sadly if neither that nor new drivers work for you then I suspect your options are limited, short of buying a cheap new graphics card.

Update: I found out that disabling the Nvidia driver makes the issue go away. On this laptop, the Intel driver is primary, the Nvidia is for some 3D support. So far there is no apparent difference in performance - but I just want to mention, since the last few Windows updates, for months now, general performance has taken a big hit, including Roon, which is now much slower to start.

I will look into replacing the Nvidia driver with the previous or with an older one, if needed. Not sure if I want to bother, since disabling Nvidia does not seem to make any perceivable difference in performance, and I can minimize Roon safely for now. I will update again if anything changes.

Unless you are playing games, the nvidia graphics option probably never really is used.

For what it’s worth… this problem resolved itself on my Lenovo T420s Thinkpad. I hadn’t used it for Roon in awhile but I checked today and it works fine for Roon Control. Unfortunately, I haven’t a clue if Roon fixed it, Windows fixed it, or updated graphics drivers fixed it. I was not able to get it working 6 months ago but it’s working fine now.

This is a software problem. I was able to fix the problem six months ago when I reset my window 10 on my cheap HP laptop. However the problem has returned after some W10 and Roon updates.

This is will be GPU driver issue.

Assuming your laptop is running with Intel graphics … goto the Intel Drivers Update site and download and install the latest GPU drivers for your laptop.

1 Like

Windows update often overrides drivers. Once you download the driver keep it for future use. :slight_smile:

3 posts were split to a new topic: Whiteout issue - 32-bit didn’t help

yes same problem with the latest release :frowning:
got latest Intel HD 4000 drivers

A post was split to a new topic: Blank/white GUI problem that can occur when remotly viewing (RDP)

This topic was automatically closed after 15 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.