Windows 10 - Phone | Tablet | PC

Can you guys elaborate on whether Roon client will run on Windows 10 Phone. I know Roon client runs on the PC and Surface Tablets (not RT) but will that same code run on the Windows 10 phone? MSFT is saying that the Phone is a PC with Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/phone/lumia950-xl/

The “will it run on a phone” question had been asked, and answered, multiple times. Short answer: no. Longer answer: search :wink:

You do understand that this question is relevant as of yesterday? If you do not understand that sentence then Google is your friend,

No; that’s entirely beside the point. As I said, read through what’s already been written here.

I am making the leap that you, sm31, are an Apple user so your replies about search may make sense to me. Please do not reply back on this thread if you are OR do not work for ROON because what I am asking is a rather complex software programming question related to Windows Continuum.

For those posters interested, what I am asking about is the vision from MSFT that an app written for Windows 10 will work on all devices with the same code base.

I understand that the current ROON client PC version is likely not specific to Windows 10. However, THIS IS THE QUESTION FOR ROON DEVELOPERS, can you guys compile your code base to target Windows 10. It should be much simpler than the days of Windows RT.

If you do something like this then I could use the ROON client from the new MSFT phones (released yesterday).

To save your searching, just ignore that it’s from an iPhone thread it’s a device agnostic reply.

[quote=“mike, post:3, topic:3249”]
We’re working on a smaller interface for phones and small tablets – if you’ve used Roon on a 7" Android tablet, you know why :smile:

This is still in the design phase so no timelines yet, but we’ll post more updates as soon as we can. It’s coming![/quote]

@sm31 – it’s a strange device – it’s a phone, but it can be plugged in and used as full Windows on a external monitor/keyboard.

@yyzSB: No idea if it’ll work… it’s Windows on ARM, and it’s unclear if it’ll run non-universal apps. I don’t have one to try…

So then, to save everyone time, it might have helped to be more specific? You made no mention of Continuum in the post.

PS - I don’t use Apple devices (anymore), actually: Windows, Linux, Android.

It won’t it will only run apps programmed to Windows Runtime according to Microsoft.

Thanks Carl for your clarification on the small screen version you guys are designing.

May I suggest to the ROON development team to also make a RESPONSIVE web app for Windows 10 and later. That is going forward, have 1 single app for Windows using the same RESPONSIVE code base. This single app would be available for the PC | Tablet | Phone on the Windows Store. There will be a lo of us users on the Windows 10 platform going forward.

I imagine that ROON was not planning to support a Windows Phone specific version like they would for Android and Apple mobile. However, there is a compelling argument that a single RESPONSIVE Windows app takes the place of the existing Windows program.That is it does not have to be a specific Windows Phone app. Just create a RESPONSIVE Windows 10 app and there will be a lot of happy Windows users.

ROON dev can always use the existing Windows client and server app to support legacy Windows OSes like 7, 8.1, Windows Server 2008 and 2012.

BTW - to answer my original question. My research makes me believe the existing Roon Windows client will not run on Windows Phone 10 devices…

Wrong. If Roon was only available as a RESPONSIVE App I would stop using it. Most people are using Roon on Windows Server 2012 R2 or Win 7.

You may be correct on the limitations on responsive design and redoing Roon. I was speaker with a software GUI expert on this after your email and he pointed out some limitations that may make the design less than optimal.

I think I will answer this question myself and design some app on Windows 10 and see how it works on the various devices. I have to learn how to do this first but that won’t take too long. Maybe it will be responsive or maybe Windows 10 takes care of this using some other methodology baked into the GUI design pattern.

Just to geek out this discussion a little more.

Here is a link to what I will try to figure out.It looks like the RESPONSIVE design MAYBE the methodology used in Windows 10.

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/design

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/hh465424.aspx

This discussion is missing the biggest problem, which is that the underlying technology limits on Universal Apps is not acceptable to Roon.

We are not built on any Windows UI mechanisms, so using their UI technology is not an option at all. The entire Roon app is built on custom UI engine built on top of OpenGL. It’s why we are full featured on all the platforms we support.

Being a “responsive UI” is exactly what we’d be when we support phone sized displays. However, the work is all in the design and implementation of the UI (and product) for that smaller real estate. Just cramming the same stuff into a smaller screen doesn’t make it a good product.

When this work is done, iPhone and many Android phones should just work. Windows 10 phones and other phones not running iOS or Android will not work. If a phone out there let’s Roon run native C code, full non-neutered/sandboxed .NET CLR code, and provides good OpenGL 3.0 or OpenGL ES 3.0 support, then we can look into porting it there.

I’ve never seen Windows phone offer that, but then again, I’m not familiar with their latest.

Oh, and being a web app is not an option either (for now)… it would require a complete rewrite.

1 Like

Great information. I did not know the details of how Roon iwas mplementation. Only been using the product for 3 weeks.

“If a phone out there let’s Roon run native C code, full non-neutered/sandboxed .NET CLR code, and provides good OpenGL 3.0 or OpenGL ES 3.0 support, then we can look into porting it there.”

Someone can easily figure this out (maybe me when I have some spare time). Great info for me from.these responses. Thanks.

@yyzSB: did you get a Lumina 950 XL? Do you have a Windows phone now?

Yes I have a Nokia Lumia 928 on Verizon. A tough as nails high end phone which has lasted me for about 3 years. I will get 1 of the 2 high end MSFT phones that were announced on Tuesday. They will become available in a few weeks. I will learn a bit of programming in the new Windows 10 ecosystem. It seems like a good opportunity for me to make some money writing software. I do a lot of enterprise type software work.

I have the Windows 10 Microsoft Lumia 950. Dumped my iphone 6 and happy to say that after 2 months my apple addiction is gone. I am 60 days clean :slight_smile: I will always be a recovering appleholic but recognising that is part of the recovery process. Even gave away my 15 inch macbook pro and bought a Dell XPS13.

I am in the Roon trial right now a few days in (and about 50 hours of listening :slight_smile: ). Roon on W10 is superb. Rock solid. A couple of minor elements of the UI are not to my taste, but very minor. Most of it I love and growing to love it more.

If Roon was available on my 950 I would be one happy bunny and a lifetime Roon licence holder! It does annoy me somewhat that W10 phone seems to be ignored so much - no TIDAL app, No Bluesound app, no Roon app. - but I guess you make your choices and live with the consequences. Still, like a lot of W10 phone users, any company that steps into the platform will have a very happy and loyal user base, however small right now.

1 Like

Windows 10 phone apps can use OpenGL ES 2.0 and be developed through the ANGLE project (though not sure about 3.0).

I think the iOS app porting option to W10 phone is still alive also …Project Islandwood. A tutorial to do this quite easily for IOS developers was published by Microsoft last Friday. I think this port has the added benefit of being able to run on all W10 devices. I belive you code in objective-c and use iOS API’s and then port from there using the project bridge.

1 Like

So how about a win10 app now? with the microsoft tools it shuld be quiete easy to transform the ios app to a windows 10 store app