Discover screen performance issues with Android 7.0 Nougat/Google Pixel C

Discover on my Android, Samsung Galaxy TAB A has always been slow. I put it down to a lack of Ram in the device.
I used an IPad Pro 12" today (a friends) and it was a lot quicker but not immediate.
The bug bear here is you can’t see the ‘Added Version’ Tags on the Album overview screen like you can in Android. You have to open the album up to see it. This defeats the point of it somewhat.
Chris

It used to wok just fine. Not super speedy but acceptable and stable.

Hi @mike,

Your sense seems to be confirmed by the recent reports from users using other devices than the Pixel C. Are there any Android performance updates that will make it into version 1.3?

To add a data point, I’m having the same issues with my Pixel C - Discovery loads very slowly when the Roon app first starts, after that, the load time is about 10 seconds & if I open another app or two and then go back to Roon, alphabetic and numeric characters are missing on the menus. I have to close Roon and restart to fix it.

Not sure if this is really helpful or not, but I have some anecdotal evidence to add to this discussion of Android Roon performance.

We have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (I see that this device has been mentioned previously in this thread) and the Roon control performance is generally fine except for Discover, which seems to take a long time to load and to become responsive.

I have the tablet in front of me now and every time I refresh Discover it takes in the region of 15 seconds for all the images to load and for it to respond to touches and flings.

I am not sure if this is good or bad to be honest, but it is certainly a lot slower than the equivalent on a Windows tablet and on my iPhone.

The Tab S2 is running Android 6.0.1 with a December 2016 patch level.

My Roon Core is a i7 16GB Windows 10 headless machine with a 128 GB SSD and the music is stored on a Synology NAS presented via SMB. Both the NAS and the headless Core are on 1 gigabit Ethernet connections, the Tab S2 is on 5GHz wifi and is (currently) in direct line of sight of the wifi access point at around 4 metres.

The more reports, the better.

Especially the second part bugs me. If the interface would remain responsive and shows a lower res image while the high res is loading, the experience would already be much better.

I added exclusions to my virus scanner for the Roon server executables and the Roon database folder to see if this might help but it hasn’t made any difference. I think the latency is all on the Android device. Other devices work fine.

Hi there…

In the spirit of “the more reports, the better”, I can confirm that I’m seeing the same problem (i.e. very slow loading of the Discover section) with a Google Nexus 10 and Xperia Z2 Tablet 10", both running Android 6.0.1. The simplified interface on my 'phone runs fine.

Hopefully this can add to the picture.

Same here.
Slow discovery on Xperia Z2 & Lenovo tab pro 3.
Ok on Samsung note4.

1.3 brought no changes, unfortunately. Discover is OK on my phone on Android 6.0.1, Pixel C is as slow as ever. My impression is that other pages are loading slower than before… I’m not sure yet, though. Is this issue (going to be) addressed?

Marc

Am I right that 1.3 shows more images on the Discover page?
Doesn’t help if performance is already an issue.

The latest builds didn’t change anything.

@support Is this issue going to be addressed?

Thanks.

Android 7 Samsung S7 Edge. Not slow at all on Discovery.

Hi Daniel,

I assume the S7 Edge gives you the phone interface.
On the phone interface it works fine, this issue is specific for the tablet interface.

Yes, it does. But my Samsung Tab S2 does not have an issue either. But, it is on Marshmallow and not Nougat.

I’ve been having trouble too with Discovery. I stopped using it on Android entirely. Works fine on windows & iphone.

The other thing is that Roon keeps crashing while I’m using it. For example, if I use it almost continuously for 10 minutes surfing music, reading reviews, etc, it usually crashes at some point. I was thinking it’s because I’m using an old Lenovo yoga tablet with perhaps insufficient memory (although I have no other apps running in the background). I’m very hesitant to buy another android tablet if I’m going to find the same issue…

Hi Eric - I see this issue has been very persistent. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? There has been no update from support on this issue since Oct 16…

Hey @Pete_Moody – thanks for checking in. This thread has gotten a little unwieldy, so I want to try and untangle things a little bit.

As I mentioned earlier today, we have not done a lot of Android specific work over the last few months. There are also a few tickets open regarding the Discover screen, and we are planning to tackle those soon as well, which is another reason why this issue has languished longer than we’d like.

I can reproduce some performance issues related to the Discover screen, and rest assured that we’re tracking this and intend to address the problem. I’ve added this the agenda for a dev meeting we have scheduled for later this week, and I’ll follow up here with an update once that happens.

There are a lot of other issues mentioned in passing in this thread, and I want to make sure we don’t lose track of those either. For now, I’ve renamed this thread to reflect our focus on the Discover issue. If you’re having _any_other issues related to Roon or Android, please open a new thread in the Support section with full details of your setup so we can investigate.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Hi @mike,

As the Discover screen issue turned out to be the main topic of this thread I agree with the focus update.

I want to take the opportunity to bring 2 other Android specific issues to your attention:

My Sony 8 inch tablet loads randomly in portrait or landscape mode.

I can confirm the slow loading of discovery screen in landscape mode. The same device loads discovery screen notably faster in portrait mode.