1.8 Audio devices in Settings but not in Zone picker [Ticket In]

On Ubuntu (and related) systems, that would be sudo systemctl restart roonserver .

Just encountered this issue for the first time. Chord Hugo 2 connected to MacBook Pro. It was working fine until today, when the device showed up as enabled in Settings->Audio but was not present in the ā€œdevice pickerā€. Rebooting the core (Nucleus+) fixed the issue. Never saw this with 1.7.

Since upgrading to Roon version 1.8 (build 756) stable on RoonOS version 1.0 (build 227) stable, I find myself power cycling my ROCK Core (Intel NUC7i3BNH) daily in order for the Core to ā€œseeā€ the USB connected RME ADI-2 DAC FS as an available audio device. I never had this issue with prior Roon versions. Simply turning on my RME ADI-2 DAC FS was sufficient for the Core to recognize the audio device. Unfortunately, no matter how many times I cycle the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, the Core fails to see/handshake with the DAC even though it is directly connected via USB cable.

As others have mentioned, even a device connected across a LAN (e.g. my Apple TV 3rd Generation) is never ā€œlostā€ as an audio device, presumably because it somehow it maintains a heartbeat/connection my Roon Core.

Kindly restore the capability of the ROON Core software to readily recognize a USB connected RME ADI-2 DAC FS as an audio device upon powering up the DAC. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Same problem here. And when I restart ā€˜coreā€™ (running on a Synology NAS), ROON asks me to ā€˜log inā€™ again (even though the core shows up OK) and then starts complaining Iā€™m already signed in, so I have to deauthorize the core.

Itā€™s not a good experience, to put it politely.

3 Likes

I have been running 1.8 for over a week now without encountering this type of problem. This morning, however, I too have had the disappearing zone issue. Iā€™m running Rock on a NUC7i3 with about 10 zones. Half of the zones disappeared overnight (a mixture of ropieee and Chromecast Audio endpoints). Restarting the core fixed the problem.

Same here. Need restart of Core multiple times every day. Loses all zones connected to my MPB (where I do most of my listening), have lost iOS devices as well.

The only thing that usually is availble is my Sonos One. Didnā€™t see this on 1.7

Hmm, havenā€™t tried that. Usually never restarts the router, or my Synology that Roon runs on. Will try that out.

Having same problem. Rebooting my roon server fixes it. Not a problem youd expect!

My RME dac is is the settings menu but not the drop down list. Normally I can restart my Zen Mini and it will come up in the drop down list but not today.

Very frustrated.

I am spending more time fiddling with settings in Roon than in listening to music.

I will say this is the buggiest software update Roon has ever done. Not happy. I have to say if i didnā€™t have a lifetime sub I would be out of here.

1 Like

I went through the cycle of getting my zones back last night and kept them out of groups. This day so far all zones remain available.

Iā€™m also seeing similar errors with 1.8.

Iā€™ve not isolated it to the bridge but a zone with such devices in disappears overnight when Roon core is left running on my main machine. Half the nights I wake up and the zone is gone, with no playback etc. All wired on reliable, tested (and certified) Ethernet cables and monitored switches.

Hi everyone ā€“ just wanted to give an update here. I know this has been a frustrating one.

We now believe we have figured out the issue, and the fix is being tested by our QA team. Weā€™re planning to release it as soon as possible, but most likely that means first thing next week.

Our apologies for everyone whoā€™s had trouble with this one ā€“ we appreciate everyoneā€™s patience on this and look forward to getting it resolved for everyone real soon!

43 Likes

Thank you for your tireless efforts Roon team! :ok_hand:

1 Like

We appreciate their efforts, but before releasing an update of this caliber they should have made sure that everything should work correctly.
I think the right thing to do this time would be to extend our subscription to Roon for at least 7 days due to the inconvenience caused, since some of us still cannot use the app 100% due to the problems caused by it.
Thanks.

1 Like

I am having the same issue. Core connected via USB to Hegel amp. Needs rebooting every time if amp goes to standby.

Was working with airplay to hegel, but thatā€™s now gone 100%.

since i disabled all Airplay devices everything is back to normal.

Iā€™ve been stable since Iā€™ve kept my problematic group apart. So a Pi 3 B+ with Ropieee and Allo DigiOne grouped with Bluesound Node 2i was causing issues. My other group with two Pi B+ sans HAT has been stable.

In case that helpsā€¦

CHORD Mojo is connected to my Mac mini M1 but is not recognised by ROON 1.8. I can listen to anything but ROON through CHORD MOJO / Earphones.

My system is simpler than most. I donā€™t have to restart my core every time this problem occurs (and that is almost every time I stop playing music via Roon). If I go to the Audio tab under Preferences, my devices are there even though they donā€™t appear as zones. Going to settings on the device I want to utilize, there are generally a couple of toggle switches. Change one and save. Change it back and save again. Now it appears in zones with the correct info from when I last used the connection. Maybe that helps someone until they get the problem fixed properly.