1.8 Success or Failure – Seeking Hard Evidence

Sorry but all it means in my situation is that I was off work last week and at home instead of on the road.
Stats can be twisted to mean practically anything you want…

1 Like

1.8 is an unmitigated disaster. 1.7 worked fine. No changes in my setup except the gigantic error to get 1.8 that now does not work. Nothing plays for more than 30 seconds! Roon “help” (that’s a joke) say it’s my network. But they do not address 1.7- great 1.8 NOT!

1 Like

Agreed 1.8 sucks

1 Like

Do you have the stats to back that up? :wink:

For my part, I listen about 10 - 12 hours a day to some kind of music. Only miaplacing my ears is likely to change that, and certainly not a software update. My only real 1.8 complaint is that search is still idiosyncratic, to be kind.

Sorry to hear about your issues.

But please continue to speak to Roon in your support thread:

Obviously for you the update is causing the issue, but might there be an issue with how Google Mesh and Roon interact that you haven’t accounted for? Might it also help to report the issue to Google?

If you cannot reach a quick resolution (or just to test that 1.7 is still stable for you), although it won’t work on iOS devices (you say you have a iPhone) you can downgrade to 1.7 until it is no longer supported (or hopefully the issue you are experiencing is resolved):

Try changing the DNS settings in your network or Roon core device to OpenDNS, Cloudflare or Google. I was having Qobuz slowdowns and changing to OpenDNS on my core notebook resolved my problem.

1 Like

Thank you, David. I will give it a try.

1 Like

So, I found out that I am already on Google’s DNS settings. But, Qobuz is slow or unresponsive depending on who I am trying to stream.

I am inclined to think that it is not me, but rather roon. Particularly, as I am not the only one reporting this issue.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ack, every endpoint has stopped outputting. Anyone else same issue?

Try OpenDNS before giving up. I’m not saying this will resolve your problem for sure, just that it appears to have resolved mine. It’s worth a try.

I am not familiar with how to do that. Can you provide direction, please?

You need to change the DNS setting in your router. If you can’t do that on your router you need to do it in network properties on your core machine. You’re better off Googling it because the method is different from router to router, device to device. This might help. https://use.opendns.com/

1 Like

Thanks again, David.

1 Like

Well, I did open DNS as well, but no improvement. I guess I have to see what roon does to correct this for those of us that have this issue.

Sorry to hear it didn’t work for you. Both Qobuz and Tidal continue to work fine for me. Perhaps the Roon support people can help you get it sorted. Best of luck.

I was just coming back to message you!

I did the OpenDNS settings yesterday, and while Taste of Qobuz and New Releases show [No Results], I am now [today] getting near real-time start on Qobuz tracks that I attempt.

I am inclined to think that it is not the very latest update to roon, but rather the OpenDNS settings that you point me to.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I have been listening pretty much the same amount as before 1.8. I am a relatively new user though.

I have noticed some bugs, like iOS crashes and sometimes a lack of any artwork. These are annoying, but I can listen without artwork. I do appreciate that I don’t have to hold my iPad in landscape mode to use it now. I really miss the “ABC” method of finding artists.

However, I purchased a year of use 3 months ago, so bad or good, I’m using it.

That’s good news. I’m happy to hear you’re at least making some progress.

1 Like

I just remembered another trick that helped me with Qobuz/Tidal missing album art in and slow playback with Roon in the past when using a Samsung Tab A. It might be worth trying if things don’t get better. I’m convinced that Samsung tablets have some DNS issues not present in other devices. I own two Samsung Tab As, which have been more problematic than my iPads, Fire Tablets or Android phones.

1. Download the DNS Lilly app from the Android store.
  2. Experiment with the DNS settings in the app. These will change the DNS on your tablet only. See which settings, if any, produce better results with the Roon app on the tablet using Qobuz (or Tidal).
  3. If one works for you, set the app to automatically load and set that DNS in the tablet.

This can help if your internet provider’s DNS is causing problems. I suspect it also depends on what country you’re in. I’m in Brasil, where for some reason DNS workarounds are sometimes useful.