App on iphone doesn't recognize account and won't open

The Roon ARC login process involves a redirection to your Roon Account web page, where you confirm the Roon account that you want to use. This redirection should open the web browser on your Smartphone. Is this happening for you, or are you missing the redirection and not opening your web browser?

Once the login process is complete, then you should see a message in ARC: "Syncing with Roon Core for the first time… Are you getting this far?

2 Likes

Hi Geoff, Roon Arc log in takes me to what looks like the Roon sign in page. I assume it’s been open from a web browser. Usually it just erases my email and password after logging in, leaving a blank screen, but sometimes I get an invalid Password flag:

I’ve deleted your screenshot (it’s not a good idea to display your private email address on a public forum).

When you enter your details, you should get a message asking if you want to continue in the web browser or open an external app (i.e. return to ARC).

It sounds as though this process is failing somewhere along the line.

Can you try logging into your account on the Roon Labs website first and then try ARC again?

Go to roonlabs.com and click on the icon:

Thank you for watching out for my interests here, Geoff. I appreciate it. I have never been on a chat board before, believe it or not, so I’m learning the ropes as I go.

I’m a bit flummoxed by your suggestion. I went to the link above and I only see an option for starting a free trial, which I’ve already done, or redirects to the App Store. Is’nt that the way it has to work?

Both the laptop and phone show me that Roon Arc is ready to be configured, and yet none of the support I’ve received has offered a solution.

So you are not seeing the “person” icon? It may be that this is only displayed if you are already logged in to Roon.

If that’s the case, we’ll have to try another route to get to your accounts page.

Since your Mac and iPad now appear to be working, on one of these, go to Roon’s Settings > General page and click the “View account info” button. E.g.:

This will open the web browser on the device and display the status of your account. Let us know if everything appears to be in order or not. Thanks.

Everything appears to be fine, as far as I can tell.

Hi, I have not had an answer to the log in Arc problem. Today I tried to access this support page on my phone in answer to a response I received and the exact same problem of not being able to log in that I have with Arc was the result: log in does not proceed and goes back to blank. Yet on the laptop there is no problem. I have 2 days left on the trial and really wanted to use the app for mobile listening. I would greatly appreciate any advice to arrive at a solution. Thank you

This sounds like a problem with the phone. Are you using any security software, script blockers or similar on the phone? Some mobile providers install security software on phones automatically

Hi Suedkiez, is this the tread you just referred to regarding the login problem? I am not using any security software or scrip blockers (don’t even know what that is) to my knowledge. Is there something in particular that I might not be aware of that I should check?

Yes :slight_smile:

E.g., Vodafone runs Vodafone Secure Net by default on phone data connections, one has to cancel that explicitly. It is known to potentially interfere with some mobile network functionality. I think this one in particular is only active on 4G/5G networks, not on home wifi, so probably not the issue

However, worth checking if your mobile provider might do something similar. If you got the phone through your mobile subscription plan, it’s even possible that some security app is preinstalled

Many people have ad blockers installed, such as AdGuard (which works on the system level and filters network traffic generally) or AdGuard for Safari (which works just in the Safari browser). Or similar ad blockers. These are generally good things but also have the potential to block some legitimate stuff.

If in doubt, turn any such thing off temporarily, to see if the ARC login works then.

Suedfkiez, I did have an add blocker on, turned it off and no difference with the login.

It was worth trying :slight_smile: Starting to be out of ideas. Try installing ARC on the iPad and/or borrow another phone and install ARC there. This should help verifying if it’s your phone or something else

Yes! You’re right. Thank you, Suedkiez!

Arc opened on my iPad (though it looks like it’s built for the iPhone and doesn’t seem to be fully functional there). So now that it’s clear the problem has something to do with the phone set up does anyone have a guess at what’s causing the problem?

Great, progress at last! :slight_smile: but unfortunately I don’t have any good guesses where on the phone the issue is. I would still suspect something that filters traffic on the network level like a security tool, etc., but I am blindly guessing. Plus my iPhone knowledge is rather limited because I’m so far an Android user and am still waiting on my iPhone 15 to arrive in the mail :wink:

Thinking … maybe it’s cookies? Are you by any chance blocking cookies in Safari? Or maybe try going to the Safari settings and clearing all cookies with Roon in their name.

My purpose here was just to figure out if it’s really something with the phone that was causing the issue.

Yes, it needs to adapt to larger displays, but as far as I know it should be functional, just too small (it is functional on my Android tablet - haven’t tried it on my iPad, but according to other posts I think it should be functional, too). Adapting to larger displays is on the roadmap:

Not sure why Safari/cookies might be an issue because the Roon app is being accessed independently and not from a browser. Could it be the Firewall? And regarding the ipad Arc app, it doesn’t seem to have a playback option except for the ipad itself., which defeats the whole point of listening on the go. Am I missing something? I don’t see any audio controls to select playback like I do in Roon. or Roon remote. Also, when listening to music through Roon the connection to the core keeps cutting off. Is there a way to prevent the computer from loosing the connection?

In a recent update (ARC build 209) Roon added single-sign-on, and this uses a browser window to log in (as was already discussed further up, by the way). So on an iPhone/iPad this is most likely Safari. If you configured a different default browser, perhaps it uses this one. Might it be possible that your iPhone and iPad have different default browsers?

This is from the release notes;

This is from my iPad right now, logging into ARC for the first time, with Safari as the default browser. It might not obviously look like one, but I think this is a browser window, note the address at the top. Does your login window look the same, and is it the same on iPhone and iPad?

The current ARC version is 1.0 (build 220) production. Is that what you have?

It could, but where is it? If on the phone, then it definitely has the potential. If on the router, one would think that it affects the iPad in the same way.

This probably won’t change and I don’t understand how it defeats the purpose of listening on the go. The point is to output to the phone (or tablet), and from there to the outputs that the phone has. This could be a headphone jack on devices that have one, Bluetooth, or via USB. When using USB you can attach a little mobile DAC as well (or a large one). On iPad/iPhone you can use AirPlay from the device controls, and on Android you can use the device’s Chromecast.

It would be nice to additionally have Chromecast and AirPlay within the app (so that Apple users can also use Chromecast and Android users AirPlay), but this might be added in the future.

Is this with ARC or regular Roon now?

Hi Suedkiez, Thank you again for your responses. I have contacted Apple and worked my way up to an expert advisor. After several attempts to trouble shoot they can’t find anything wrong with the phone and have suggested the problem is with the app and I need to get support from Roon. I have updated the OS. I have gone into my Safari settings on the phone and turned off all blockers. I turned off the VPN. I have erased all history in Safari on the iphone. I rebooted the app store and my icloud id. Apple cannot find a problem on their end. At this point I’ve lost count of the hours I’ve spent trying to figure this out. I really like the Roon interface, but it seems at this point I’m going to need someone from Roon who knows what the problem is.

Separately, as far as Arc on the ipad is concerned, I only see an option to listen through the ipad speakers. No airplay indicator, audio indicator for other output, etc. If there’s a way to get it to play music elsewhere I’d love to know how. The issue with the music stopping is happening with Roon remote.

Thanks again for your help. If you are doing this without any compensation from Roon, your an amazingly generous person and I’m sorry for taking so much of your time. Is there a way to get this out there to someone who has a solution?

@Richard_Rothman, just an odd idea to try. I use mobile Firefox and not Safari on my iPhone and iPad. Maybe temporarily download a different browser and set it as the default and see if that changes anything. The may be a longshot, but I notice some differences in how the browsers handle these login and security requests.

About the login on phone: Thanks for trying all that, it makes me sad you had to. I don’t see how it could be the app unless you are hitting a weird edge case because it seems to be working for most other people, and all the cases I have seen on the forum where the single-sign-on failed was eventually traced to network filter software and the like.

I have no other ideas other than what @Robert_F suggested above. If that doesn’t help either, I suppose we need Roon @support after all.

About ARC output on the iPad: For AirPlay, swipe down from the iPad’s top right screen edge to open the iPad Control Center:

(This is a standard iPad gesture. See the Apple help for the iPad here: Access Control Center on your iPad - Apple Support. On the iPhone it is similar, see Use AirPlay to stream audio - Apple Support)

In the Control Center, tap the AirPlay button. (Your Control Center will look different because it’s configurable):

You will see the iPad selected as the current output and your other AirPlay devices to choose. (Here it’s the AirPlay input of my Naim NDX-2 and my Apple TV):

If you have Bluetooth speakers, headphones, or a Bluetooth input in a streamer, you can choose this for output: Set up and use Bluetooth accessories on iPad - Apple Support

If you connect an USB audio device like a DAC or USB headphones, it should just work without any configuration, including with hi-res output.

You are very welcome. Yes I’m doing that on my time because I like to and I am learning lots of stuff about Roon and other things while doing it, more than I would learn on in my own because my Roon mostly works and I don’t have the stuff other people have. No worries :slight_smile:

I already tagged @support, let’s hope they find time soon, they are understaffed

Thank for reaching out, Robert. I went ahead and tried changing the default browser on the phone. The result is the same.