Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

I just noticed that I have flickering when showing up radio or covers on my screen.

All the tine the cover goes from oeft to right or right to left incl changing background it starts to flickering for a short moment.

Thanks G. Up and running now. Really your help. Happy holidays.

1 Like

That’s good news! @Henry_Svendblad’s theory seemed plausible to me, which is why I didn’t think of this sooner. Glad you have it sorted out!

I’ve just created a second profile on ROON, moved the playlists from my account to the new created profile. Worked without any issues.
Then I went to the TV, started AppleTV incl. ROON TV Remote App.
I’ve noticed that switching between Profiles, the App crashes.
For example:
My profile has no playlists. But if I try to get on the icon and then push enter, I’m back on the main screen of AppleTV…same with the new created Profil, which contains 3 Playlists…crashing.
this means that everytime we want to use the 3 Playlists, I need to enter the settings in ROON TV Remote App, choose the profile, then playlists and then I see the 3 playlists. I doesn’t work with the shortcut on the left hand side of the screen (search, playlists, albums, artists etc).
How can it work properly?

Seems that no one can really help here. I’ve also contacted the TV:Remote support…no answer…

Hi, @Piero_Ballistreri

The author of this app is @R_102. It looks like he hasn’t visited this forum for a while but perhaps this mention will notify him and he’ll take a look. I tried to understand what it is that you’re doing which isn’t working, but I’m not able to completely follow it. Even if I could, I wouldn’t be able to help - if the app is crashing, that’s an issue for the developer.

Basically what I noticed is:

If you change the “profile” in TV:Remote and then go on the left side to the “Playlist” icon, you will not see the dedicated playlist.

I’ll need to go to the “world” icon, choose the profile, go one step back, and then choose playlist from the “world” icon…

I understand what you’re saying now. I’ve used TV:Remote for a while, but I actually didn’t understand that there’s a “Settings” page under the world icon in the app. I thought all settings were in the tvOS settings which is why I wasn’t aware that you could change the profile used by TV:Remote.

I’m glad you figured out a workaround! It seems like there’s an actual bug where changing profiles and going directly to playlists causes a crash, but at least you now know a way around it!

yes, but that workaround sucks…because you have to enter the settings, choose profile, choose playlists…

and if i’m in my profile, and you push the playlist button, the app crashes…because of no playlists…
and more: the playlists don’t have any cover, and even the profiles don’t show any pictures…

so would be nice if the author of the app could help.

1 Like

Apologies for the silence on this thread, various house moves and preparing for a new arrival haven’t left much spare time. Hoping to pick up working on the app again soon.

Re: the playlist issue. There is a know issue with switching playlists via the api: Roon API - Selected profile isn't set [Report is in]

I’ll need to look into what’s causing the app to crash.

3 Likes

Thanks for popping in @R_102! I love your app - we use it all the time. Thanks for writing it!

In case you maintain a feature request list…I’ve built a couple small “now playing” type things around your app. 12" LCD monitors with Apple TVs mounted to the back. The monitors are plugged into smart plugs which I automate with Home Assistant so they power up and down when the zone are attached to starts or stops playing.

The feature request is for the ability to select a “Now Playing” layout which works better for small screens across the room, rather than large TV screens. As it stands, it’s tough to read the Artist and Track Name from 10 feet away on a small screen.

I know this isn’t a common use case but I prefer it to RoPieeee and ChromeCast options.

Thanks for thinking about it :slight_smile:

This is what I’m talking about:

1 Like

Hey @R_102

Many thanks for answering and for creating the app. I love it.

My problems mentioned are, i don’t know if call them “small” but a little bit boring. Since my son loves to listen to his music, and I have all the time to go to settings, then choose profile, and in the same window then “playlist”.

by clicking on the normal playlist button on the left, the app crashes. also in the playlist no cover art are visible.

the profiles don’t have a picture eather…

that’s it basically :slight_smile:

Enjoy your time

Any news or progress?

I’ve been using the Apple TV Remote app for at least a year. This week it stopped playing music - the app connects to the Roon core, I can select music from any source and try to play it. And it just sits there at zero seconds and never starts.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app. Restarted Apple TV many times. Restarted Roon core. Restarted the network router.

Any ideas?

@Jim_Leckband welcome to the Community. You are most likely experiencing the same issue seen by other users in this thread, specifically around AirPlay issues with the current version of Roon

1 Like

Hi @Piero_Ballistreri

I’ve spent a bit of time looking into the issue but unfortunately I’m unable to replicate the crash.

Is the crash still present with the latest Roon core build? If so, does the crash always occur when switching to your son’s profile or back to yours?

Re: No cover art/profile pictures. This is expected for the playlist browser and profile list. Images in the browser screens are provided via core over the api. If no images are available you’d get a default placeholder.

Thanks
Russell

Hi @Jim_Leckband, looks like Robert_F has spotted the issue here. Hopefully the forthcoming fix will solve the issue.

Thanks
Russell

It still crashes when changing to my profile.

I do not have playlists but it still crashes.

Pictures:

In ROON I can see all the pictures etc.

I’ll check with no playlist. Is no playlists true for all profiles?

In Roon I would expect all pictures, however all pictures aren’t accessible through extensions.

I will delete the APP, then reinstall, and down load the playlist again, and see if it crashes.

1 Like