Can anyone help with my horror-show [SOtM SM200]

Not sure if anyone can help with my horror-show, but having to ship NUC to friend to install, no real support other than forum.

Beyond that stuck with an ancient SoTM 200, and I don’t know squat, running an even more more ancient Antipodes program(?).

CANNOT get it to recognize new SMSL SU10.

Been running an old Black Dragon, all set up by a notorious Audio Utuber friend (not sure anymore ‘bout that).

Hope I can reattach BD or I’ll go crazier than my 76 years of age already makes me. Playing LP’s was way easier

Not really sure which problem or problems you are asking people to help with, could you be more specific?

OK, yeah just angry. Here’s the deal, I have a new SMSL SU10 that Roon Audio settings doesn’t recognize. Took it out and went back to Black Dragon OK.

The 2016 Antipodes system is hard to control lots of futzing, going down lots. Again, Roon won’t/doesn’t recognize the SMSL. Tried everything I can think of.

It’s really difficult to understand what is connected to what and how, or where the Roon Core is even running on

I have a SoTM SM200 streamer connected by USB std (only port on it) to USB B to Black Dragon DAC, which works. Cannot get Roon to even show SMSL. let alone connect via same connection

Thanks, still not following completely :slight_smile: I think I get now that the SM200 streamer is USB-connected to the Black Dragon DAC. Instead you would have liked to connect the SMSL to the SM200 but Roon does not find that one, so you switched back to the Black Dragon. And with the BD it works. Correct so far?

What I don’t get is where Roon comes into this. The NUC that you sent to your friend is back with you, and it’s running ROCK, I suppose? And the SM200 is Roon Ready and connected to the network? (I see on the SoTM website that the new SM200 Neo is Roon Ready, but am not sure about the older model)

Can you show us a screenshot of Roon > Settings > Audio when the SMLS is connected and turned on?

I hope I have made the issue clear. Have Roon 1.8 and have both a Fire tablet and Android Phone as remotes, and also have a Macair. The core is on this Antipode program, which is physically on the SoTM streamer. Exhaustively traced down to capture 13353 tracks thru AnyDesk by my oldest friend who has used computers for his living 30 years. Don’t have any more info that I can think of

No, just looked as your reply did’nt come up on my Email. No, 3 months and umpteen hours on NUC have’nt sent it yet, doesn’t function properly. Have antipodes core for 6 years, all stuck in aging SoTM streamer, has I think a 1.7 TB drive in it. I do have remote on Mac and will do screenshot tomorrow, but it’s bringing up 10 ALSA’s showing HDA Intel PCH HDMI, 10 of em ??? Bedtime for Bonzo now

OK thanks, getting clearer in a way, but more confusing to me because I know nothing about the SOtM SM200 :slight_smile:

Searching for it, I only find that the old one was a “Roon certified” (as it was called back then) streamer and users of this device run the Roon core on something else like a Windows PC or ROCK on a NUC. E.g., here:

And here is is referred to as “Roon Ready”, i.e., also an endpoint and not a Core:

Or here:

Maybe a stupid question but are you really sure that you are running the Roon Core on that?
I think we need someone who knows about this device, as obviously I am helpless here

For better visibility to knowledgeable people I have edited the title to add [SOtM SM200] and moved the topic to the SOtM area of the forum

1 Like

That is also my understanding from when I did research SOtM vs iFi Zen Stream.

I think John has an antipodes device that has the Roon Core in it

Thanks. But @John_Petrakis says “The core is on this Antipode program, which is physically on the SoTM streamer”???

I know. But I remember a thread month ago or so, I’ll search. I do not know if antipode software can run on SOtM, he can have a HDD on SOtM for files, and a bridge for roon. Maybe I’m wrong

1 Like

Trying to make some progress here - is the following your antipodes core?

It being on 1.8, which Roon versions are your remotes on?
They really have got to be on the same version to work together!

On top of that, I think you’d actually have to update to 1.8 Legacy to get to a halfway current state - not that I’m familiar with that procedure!
(Anyone else ready to step in here?)

The naked truth is, that if you want to make peace with digital streaming, you’d have to upgrade to current computational technology - these long in the tooth low powered servers aren’t sufficient to properly handle something like Roon these days.

You must let go of the idea, that a specific digital streaming setup should suffice for decades, just like your record player!

1 Like

First of all, make sure you are on the latest Eunhasu Firmware for your SOtM:
en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image [SOtM docs] (sotm-audio.com)
This would be 0.5.31, at least this is what i am using.

Then, connect your SMSL, power it up, and after that you power on your sMS-200.
After 2 minutes you should be able to start a web browser on your local network and type the address:
http://eunhasu/ or
http://eunhasu.local/

Go into the “cog”-symbol under the icon for Roon Ready and tell us what you see?

3 Likes

The Antipodes has been running on the SoTM since 2016 thru a couple of DACs with Roon core. I do not know definintions/functions of al the variously named bits, core, endpoint, bridge,streamer (that one sort of) renderer, even server, One of the bad points is no real support from antipodes anymore, and shaky part is have to keep going on to what I guess is mangement called myantipodes on browser to reset various apps on my Mac,Roon Ready,Server, DAC status.etc Hey, none of this plug and play, all a pain in in the you know what. It SURE would be nice to actually have fone conversation with someone that knows. Pretty sure this is all in the field of the Roons operation at least as I can control, settings. Have’n go thru all replies, but what is with the 10 ALSA’s, I know this has to do with Roon doing a handshake/recognition of my SMSL DAC

1 Like

Well, then you might want to start reading up on it, after all - see here

Mikael, thanks, but this is all lightyears beyond my ken. I have been trying to set up Roon Rock on NUC (it was up and failed) I set that project aside and will send it to friend to set up.

Thanks much for that! Trying to pursue every avenue. An aside, love ASR and Amir!

1 Like

Since I’m the egg in here :egg: I can say let’s chill a bit.

@John_Petrakis Roon ecosystem is hard to get, especially if you are not used with computers. It would be ok if you just attach some images, photos with your gear.
So let’s recap a bit. Roon is a software so needs a computer or “server” to run. Like the antipodes. Do you have one?