ELAC Discovery - NOT adding new Music to Library with "ä", "ü", "ö", "ß" in Title

Hello @support,

I have encountered massive problems adding new Music to my library.

Your translation efforts are great, but I think there was a big problem overlooked. (Not in translation, but in Localisation).

I`m using the ELAC Discovery Core in Germany.

So, heres the Problem: every German (or non-German) Artist who uses a "ä", "ü", "ö", "ß", or even Spanish Artists (Celtas Cortos a.e.) who use the "upside-down Questionmark" arent recognized. (Hungaryan and French are a problem to: the accents prevent loading to the library to).

I couldnt find anything regarding this issue, so maybe its only a problem concerning my core?
I would love to hear from you. Maybe there is an easy solution.

The last two days I manually changed every Title and Artist from ö to oe, ü to ue etc. but it looks gross. You know: Die Söhne Mannheims isnt Die Soehne Mannheims. Or "Fruehstueck" for Frühstück (it means Breakfast) doesnt look right to me.

Thank you very much in advance.
Hope my english isn`t that bad and you understand the problem.

UPDATE:
Sorry for forgetting the setup:
Foobar2000 for converting Files.
ELAC Discovery (Roon Essential on IPhone7 and IPad2016)
Toshiba 500GB HDD at Discovery USB-Port (no NAS)
Sonos Wireless Speaker
Questyle PreAmp CMA800P,
Questyle DAC CAS192,
2x Mono-Amp Questyle CMA800R for
Sennheiser HD800S Headphone.

Thank you very much for your answers so far.
I apologize for asking at the wrong point, I didn`t know ELAC is in charge for support. (For Essentials).
This is where I´m going to ask now. Thank you all. Tschüß (Bye) from Germany

@support @support

Such as Björk or Camille Saint-Saëns? It would seem that this is an issue unique to your setup. Roon does work with these characters:

I suggest you provide more information and start here:

your files are… where?

asking as I had a similar issue and found my Qnap NAS wasn’t playing nice with accented/special characters: files where there and perfectly seen by “Finder Station” (Qnap’s finder) but invisible when accessing the share from my Mac

just an idea :neutral_face:

I live in south america hence lots of latin characters on my library too. Actually, the share on my synology NAS containing all my music was named Música. To my surprise I couldn’t use it as a watched folder to add to Roon (my workaround was to create a symbolic link named Music and it worked hust fine).
On my search for the solution I learnt Roon does not play well with special characters. Some should work, like Björk, but some would not as in your case.
I suggest you to speak with the support team amd figure out how to solve your problem. In the meantime try renaming one of the folders to verify if the issue is related to the chars or not.
Good luck.

More likely, an issue with the codepage, i.e. the values that describe the character set. That’s why more information is necessary and helpful when diagnosing a problem. In this case, what device created the files and folders now stored on the NAS.

Hi Arne,

Are you using Roon Essentials on the ELAC Discovery ? If so then technical support for Roon Essentials is done by the vendor, not by Roon Labs. See Danny’s post below:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-server-appliance-from-elac/4205/39