Endless Login Loop Issue with Roon Remote App (ref#RLJ8QV)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

*None* of my remotes can connect

When opening Roon remote on my desktop or phone, I'm asked to Login. I'm the redirected to the website "account.roon.app" where I choose my account, and it then redirects me to the app with the same choice (as before) between "Login" and "Start free trial". I can't seem to get out of this loop.

It seems that, for some reason, the server is no longer connecting to the internet which is weird because my router seems to be working fine and I can connect to my server.

I changed my password today after I couldn’t log in and I’m using the new password when trying to login. I don’t suppose this could have anything to do with it.

What kind of server are you running? (I see that you experience other issues as well)

There is a known issue currently with certain 3rd-party servers and very old Linux distributions, maybe this is applicable.

My server is an Audioaanzee reference flow. It operates with Vortexbox, (see the screenshot)
Vortexbox

So at least in principle it may be affected by the mentioned issue. I don’t know about the maintenance status of the Vortexbox on it, but in your screenshot it provides the Linux kernel version 4.8.13.

Vortexbox is based on the Fedora distribution (DistroWatch.com: VortexBox) and the Linux kernel 4.8 was in Fedora 25, which had an end-of-life date in 2012 (Fedora Linux release history - Wikipedia), i.e., this kernel version is woefully outdated by 7 years, and my guess is that the same applies to the whole Vortexbox installation.

I would recommend that you contact Audioaanzee and ask them how to update the Vortexbox and if they are aware whether your model is causing the issue with Roon as described in all detail in Roon Lab’s post:

If Audioanzee can’t update the Vortexbox on this server anymore, you might be able to fix this with:

Also take a look the new help article:

Thank you for your response. I contacted Audioaanzee and am waiting for their response. Meanwhile I looked into the patch suggested by the Roon team. Unfortunately I’m not at all familiar with either Linux or Vortexbox. I wasn’t even able to find any folder on the server other than the ones where the music is kept. (no “Roonserver” or “Cache” folders appear when I do a search).

The server has the VortexBox SW Version: 2.4. Is that too old?

Well, I see now that according to DistroWatch.com: VortexBox it says “Status: dormant” so I guess this distribution may be dead and not updated anymore at all.

And this, further down on the linked page, does not look good:

There is a forum here, maybe people there can help:

Thank you again for your response. I’m trying to follow the instructions provided by the Roon team to correct the issue, but I cannot see any directories on the server other than the folders in which music files are kept. I tried downloading Putty, but that didn’t help me either. I simply don’t have the knowledge.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about this model or Vortexbox. Roon have said in the information thread that they would be working with affected users, so I suppose they will join here once this thread reaches the front of their queue. Or the manufacturer can help before that.

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

I also have an AudioAanZee Reference Flow with exact the same issues. I’m also in contact with AudioAanZee and lets hope he can assist us with the fix or can update the software. I will share further developmens in this topic.

Thanks also to Suedkiez for his feedback and for redirecting me to this post about the same issue. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Thank you. Oscar!

I managed to resolve the issue using the patch provided by the Roon team. If you want, I can help you with the process.

1 Like

That is very good news and I hope all works again for you. I would be grateful if you can help me with the process. I remember your remark that you could only see the folder with the local music in it and that is also the only folder and files I can see.

I found the relevant folder with the file ‘bits’ that needs to be replaced with the new file so I think I am almost there. How did you stop/shut-down the RoonServer before the process and how can I start the RoonServer again once finished?

Sorry I missed your messages. Different time zone. Good that you were able to find the folder!
The commands to stop of start the Roon server are
sudo systemctl stop roonserver and sudo systemctl start roonserver

Thanks again and I will try it with the commands you provided. Just to be sure, can I run the commands via the Windows command prompt (CMD)?
The only location of the ‘bits’ file that needs to be replaced is in the app folder of Roon on my Windows laptop. I assume this is the way to complete the fix and that I also can run the commands from the Windows command prompt.
I hope you can confirm that this is the right procedure before I start the process.

Yes, you need to stop the server using the command in my previous message (typing the command in CMD), then delete the bits file and replace it with the one provided by the Roon team, and then start the server again.

Thank you for the confirmation. It seems that something goes wrong. I get the message that sudo is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. So far I can’t stop the RoonServer.

Not sure why the command is not working for me.

Erm - why are you doing this on a Windows 10 installation - the procedure is for the Audio Aan Zee server, which I believe uses Vortexbox - a Linux system…