Hiby R6 DAP - Roon App Crash

Just got my hands on a new Hiby R6. Overall I’m pretty happy with the player.

I am, however, running into a problem with the Roon App on this android based device.

Browsing and everything else seems to work great - I am able to play an initial track on first launch of the app. If I try to pause or stop playback I get an error message saying ‘Unfortunately Roon has Stopped’. The app doesn’t crash so I’m guessing it’s the Roon Bridge in the background crashing. More often than not the local playback zone of the device disappears. The only way to get playback going again is to force stop the Roon app and start it up again.

Any ideas?

Hello @Matt_Kuehn,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to take a look over this issue with you. Can you please provide an overview of your setup using this link as a guide?

Please let me know what model/manufacturer your Core is and how your Hiby is connected to the Core.

Furthermore, I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode on your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically generated and uploaded to our servers. I kindly ask for you to reproduce the issue you faced and let me know the exact local time in your country (ex. 3:55PM) that you notice this behavior. I will then be able to cross-reference that time in the logs to see if Roon is outputting any specific type of error. Please let me know the requested information when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks for the help Noris!

Core / Network Info:

Roon Version: 1.5 Build 334
Running on Windows Server 2012 64-bit
Music Library is on locally attached RAID array.

Gigabit network, Ubiquiti switches and APs. 3 - 5 Roon Bridge devices throughout the house, mainly on Raspberry Pi’s or other embedded LInux boards.

Hiby Info:

Roon 1.5 Build 333 32bit.
Connected to Core over Wi-Fi - DAP capable of 2.4 / 5ghz.

I’ve tried both frequency ranges and get the same issue regardless of 2.4/5. I frequently stream and control Roon from iOS devices in the house with very infrequent Roon App crashes, never tried an Android device before.

I just produced a crash at 4:00PM Central time. I also submitted the Android crash report - subject titled ‘Roon Stopped Working’.

Hello @Matt_Kuehn,

Thank you for providing that description of your setup! Can you please confirm to me that this play/pause/stop behavior only occurs on your Android Roon App and it works fine from the Core itself or another non-android based remote? Does this issue occur with both TIDAL content and local content?

Unfortunately, it seems that our servers has not received any diagnostic information from your machine yet, so if that machine is powered off, please power it online when possible and I will be sure to confirm with you once we have received that required diagnostic information.

Thanks,
Noris

Yep, the crash only occurs during Android playback - iOS playback and iOS as a remote to another Roon Bridge works no problem.

I am not a Tidal subscriber so I can only confirm that the crash happens with locally stored content.

My Roon server is powered on 24/7 and connected to the internet. It could be my firewall stopping the logs from making it out, it has a fairly aggressive rule set. If you can point me to the right file path for a Windows server I can gather up the logs and send them over.

Were you able to get my Android bug submission?

One thing of note - the crash does not affect the Roon server whatsoever, It seems this issue exists completely within the Android Roon app.

Hello @Matt_Kuehn,

Thanks for confirming that just the android version seems to be affected here. You can manually locate your logs by using these instructions to locate them in your database folder. The logs that we need are the RoonServer Logs folder and usually not the RAATServer. Please archive/compress these files RoonServer_log - RoonServer.log.19 and upload them as a zip file to our uploader service, I will PM you shortly on how to do so.

I will double check for you on the android bug submission because that would be going directly to the dev or QA team and not to us (support team) but the RoonServer logs are just as important because they show what’s going on in the Core at the time of failure.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

I’ve replied to your PM with the log file name I sent over. I produced two crashes on the Android app, per usual the ‘R6’ zone disappears after the second crash. I waited a minute or two for the log file size to adjust and then compressed up the log files.

Let me know what you find!

1 Like

Hello @Matt_Kuehn,

I have just received the initial report back from QA and they kindly request more diagnostic information regarding this issue by following these steps, please:

1. Install Android SDK (on your Computer) from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html.
    Make sure platform-tools is included (http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/adding-packages.html).
  2. Enable USB Debugging on your device. Go to Settings, applications, development and tick “USB Debugging”.
  3. Connect a USB cable to the phone
  4. Go to the Android SDK directory (for example C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
  5. Open a Command Line Window at that location by Holding Shift+Right Click and type adb shell
  6. Then type adb logcat (ref: http://developer.android.com/tools/help/logcat.html)
  7. Reproduce this crash and send us the output from the terminal

Visual instructions for parts of this test can be found on:
https://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/ or in the respective reference links.

Please let me know if you have any issues running the above test and I will be glad to assist.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

ADB Logs have been uploaded. Filename = “R6ADBLog (1).txt”

Hello @Matt_Kuehn,

Thank you for running that test. I can confirm our servers have received those files and I have gone ahead an forwarded them to the QA team reviewing your case. I will be sure to update you once their report has been complete and they have passed it over to me.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Matt_Kuehn,

I want to update you on the progress of your case. We have discussed the logs you sent us with the dev team and we have a good idea of why the issue is happening and there is work in progress on resolving the issue you are facing.

Unfortunately, we cannot comment an exact timeline of when an update will be released since we are also working on general android performance improvements alongside your case, but I will be sure to let you know once I have any more information to share. I greatly appreciate your patience in the meantime and we will be in touch.

Thanks,
Noris

Noris,

Any update on the progress of the Android app fix?

Hello @Matt_Kuehn,

We are currently testing our Android code changes and are hoping that this issue will be fixed in our upcoming release. I will be sure to let you know once I have more information to share.

Thanks,
Noris

I second the issue with Hiby R6. I would be very interested in Roon (interested enough to go further then the trial period) if proper support of Android DAP/smartphone with DAC will be introduced. I would be keen to use both my DAP and my smartphone (LG G7 or Huawei P20Pro with Radsone ES100 streamer) as networked Zones. I also really hope that Android app will be smart enough to distinguish between hires Android driver and standard. This is already enabled in multiple player apps like Hiby Music, USB Player and Neutrino.
This would increase the reach beyond high-end settop streamers and allow more mobile use (at least in the local wifi).

Hello @Matt_Kuehn & @Andriy_Chortkivskyy,

I wanted to let you know that while a fix for this specific issue is still in our dev team’s queue, we have made a few improvements to our Android implementation with Build 354. I was wondering if you notice anything different regarding the crashes after updating to Build 354, please let me know your findings when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

yes, there are still crashes with the new build. I have tested with LG G7 and iBasso DX150. My Hiby R6 is in repair right now. Crash happens if I switch the Roon app into the background or open any other android app.
I would be very interested what is the plan to support built-in DACs of the mentioned devices. Right now I am mostly use native players or Neutron but would like to fully integrate portable devices into the Roon infrastructure. I have signup for the yearly subscription now and full support of the Android devices would be a significant improvement for me.
Additionally please tweak the DPI settings for small screens. Roon is not really usable with DX150 or Hiby R6. It is fine with bigger and hires screen of LG G7.

Any way to get the R6 to play bit perfect? I can only get the green icon (high quality) to light up.

Hello @davidh,

It is not possible at the current time to play bit-perfect on Android. We are hoping to make some improvements in this area when we re-write our Android infrastructure code. I cannot comment on a specific timeline of when this will occur but it is on the roadmap.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Lol. Roadmap.
Bit perfect on Android IS POSSIBLE.
OTHER APPS DO IT.
Apps that cost $4!
Must be too difficult for ROON coders? :slight_smile: LOL
I wonder if lack $ from android hardware manufacturer’s has anything to do with the lack of motivation?