Is it me or does Roon degrade sound

A post was split to a new topic: Tartan Discussion

No change for me, must be your ears or system- thats my 2cent.

What is the signal path? Iā€™m a LINN user myself, and when Iā€™m using Roon, not just LINN, and I feel that the sound quality is degraded, I can explain that itā€™s mostly being sent via AirPlay.

When you click on the dot that is in the left of ā€œbackā€

You should be using Linn Streaming

2 Likes

Itā€™s possible that the way you are using the Linn sounds better than the way you are using Roon. Thatā€™s not the same as the Linn sounding better than Roon. Have to deconstruct the whole signal path to look at this.

3 Likes

Iā€™m a relative newcomer to Roon but have really enjoyed it. When talking signal path, there a lot more detail than what components you are using. But specifically I (and I might guess many) run Roon core remotely (I have a nucleus +) hard wired to the network switch. I use a simaudio 390 as an endpoint in a different part of the house also hardwired, and Dali helicon speakers and it sounds as good as any other source I run through them.

At one point I tried an old laptop as the Roon core and directly connected to the simaudio through USB I think and it sounded not so good. Bad enough that I didnā€™t even bother to trouble shoot why and just switched back to running remotely and sounded fine again.

Roon updates may erase the LINN Streaming Subnet required for LINN Streaming. Itā€™s a LINN userā€™s prerogative to get excited about every update.

Uf you Drink a lot of beer or wine, you dont Heat any difference. Skol!

1 Like

@Rocco_Capobianco

Just did a comparison with my Linn Selekt DSM. No different i SQ.

Torben

I think you make an excellent point. I am currently demoing a product that Roon software built into it while I give my NUC and Nucleus+ a rest. My 14 year old son notices a difference.

There is this thread, were just clicking headroom from disabled to on with value 0 does make a SQ change. I wanted to try. Nothing. I can hear no difference. Ok maybe a different track. No nothing. Ok 3th time maybe there is a tiny tiny difference. After 5 times Iā€™m convinced, there is a tiny tiny difference but I can hear. So I install blackhole and audacity. Roon plays to blackhole and audacity records. First track with headroom disabled, second track with headroom on set to 0db. With the generous help of @Marin_Weigel I learn to Invert one of the tracks and mix them together into a new track. Boomā€¦ Nothing, empty, so sound. So there is no difference between the two.

Those brain wires are a tough nut to crack. Tonight Iā€™ll try to hear the seagulls and sleep by the warm breeze.

10 Likes

I used the Moonies term before until someone suggested I look up what it means. Definitely not the clan you want to be in!:laughing:
We need to think of another.

There were also people convinced that having the DSP toggle on the on or off position makes a difference even if no filters are enabled, expect itā€™s just a UI graphic.

2 Likes

The standard test is ā€˜wife listening from the kitchen notices a differenceā€™ā€¦please stick to the established audiophile standard of measurement for SQ. We canā€™t just have people inventing their own standards for SQ measurement, that would be total chaos and cause endless arguments. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

30 Likes

Posts moved to another thread :+1:

1 Like

I had the LINN Selekt before the LINN KLIMAX DSM and I heard no difference either.

It was since the KLIMAX came into the picture that I noticed this difference.

I am curious as to what Roon does to the signal from Qobuz for example when using Roon as a source vs LINN.

They are certainly being processed differently.

This may interest you all

We think alike :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can you please show the signal-path so people can try to help you?