Issue with Roon stopping playing/skipping to end of track after upgrade to 1.7

@support

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)**

Roon 1.7 (build 500) on Intel i7-8559U NUC w 16GB RAM running windows 10 pro.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

connection is via wifi

Intel NUC -> BT Home Hub 1 via Ethernet
BT Home Hub -> Airport Extreme via Ethernet
Airport Extreme -> Roon endpoints via wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

various, currently iMac running Roon 1.7 (build 500) on macOS 10.14.6 via wifi
but it does not seem to matter what the endpoint is

Description of issue

Since upgrading to 1.7, I’ve noticed that Roon stops playing tracks it is streaming and either moves to the next track or stops completely - a lot. I expect this sort of thing occasionally because networks are rarely completely stable but it got much worse after upgrading so I have to assume that it’s connected. Let me know what I should try.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Tracks skip in some configurations

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Random track skips

Interesting that this seems to be happening across a range of hardware set-ups.

A post was split to a new topic: Tracks skipping issue

This seems to be the same issue as Tracks skip when streaming from Tidal or Qobuz since Roon 1.7

Hi Rob,

The only pattern I have discerned is that Roon:

• does not skip streamed tracks when playing roon radio;
  • does not skip the first streamed track selected;
  • does not start roon radio if it stops playing a streamed album, as opposed to skipping to the next track.

But it is all pretty rubbish and the lack of a pinned status update from roon @support on the issue is a bit depressing at this point.

1 Like

Hi @Aidan_Gaule,

How often are you seeing this occur?

Is your Core machine connected via WiFi? Any improvement if using an Ethernet connection?

If you log out of Qobuz/TIDAL and sign back in in Roon is there any change?

Answers to your questions

The issue occurs continually when streaming qobuz/tidal.

My system config is in the first post on this thread.

My NUC running roon core is connected to the router via ethernet and sits in a cupboard next to my router. It is not easy for me to connect an endpoint directly to the core via Ethernet but as many others with wired connections have reported the same issue i doubt that it would make any difference.

Yes, I’ve tried logging in an out of qobuz/tidal and have rebooted both my core machine and the machines running Roon endpoints on a couple of occasions. It made no difference.

I’d add that as I write I am running internet radio through roon and it is completely stable. The issue is specific to streaming.

A post was split to a new topic: Occasional Skipping on Qobuz tracks

Thanks for the update, @Aidan_Gaule.

Have you noticed any specific patterns here? Are there any specific tracks or formats that seem to cause this to happen more often?

If you temporarily lower the TIDAL/Qobuz streaming quality in Roon does that improve things at all?

Hey @Aidan_Gaule,

We just released Build 505 with some changes that we think will help here. Can you give it a shot and let us know how things are going?

Thanks!

More details are here:

Thanks - I’ll try and give it a shot this evening.

Hi,

I upgraded to v505 and did all the requested logouts etc. and started playing an album which had previously skipped twice on the 3rd track (wes montgomery - smoking’ at the half note). The good news is that on this pass it played the first three tracks of the record completely. The bad news is that then stopped playing and required me to hit restart to continue listening. I should say that I had left the computer to play music while I did something else so there may be some other factor at play here. I will continue monitoring and let you know if something similar happens while I’m actively listening to music.

A post was split to a new topic: Playback issues after update

@mike

I’ve had a chance today to have a longer listening session and everything is back to normal.

Thanks.

One thought…

support always asks you to enter your system profile as well as a description of the issue you are reporting, which is of course sensible. Would it be a good idea to allow users to store their system profiles within their preferences? It will save time when reporting an issue and into the bargain provide you with what I would have thought might be useful information about the hardware/networking demographics of your users.

Hi @Aidan_Gaule,

Some will include their system preferences in their profile description here on Community. Typically we still tend to ask anyway, because one thing that often sets troubleshooting off on the wrong foot is making bad assumptions. If something about a setup changed but the setup details weren’t updated, we’d be operating with bad data, so we find that it’s best to always ask when we start investigating an issue so we are sure that we have the most up to date information.

thanks for your response - makes sense

by the way, roon is still behaving fine so I regard the issue as closed for the moment

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.