Issue with RoonServer Setup on Windows 11 Pro - Devices Connected via USB and Airplay Not Playing (ref#VBK5E8)

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble with my DAC, speakers, streamer, etc.

What best describes the issue with your audio device?

· Other

Describe the issue

I recently had to replace my windows pc that we use for RoonServer. New pc is a Dell with i7-12700 with 16GB on Windows 11 Pro. We use it primarily to stream Tidal and Quoboz. Any device that connects via an ethernet cable or wifi works fine. I have 3 integrated amps connected directly to the computer via USB that won't play. In addition, there are a few portable speakers that connect via Airplay. These all worked great before. I have tried disabling anti-virus and firewall. I checked to see if there are drivers for my integrated amps and they all are supposed to work with the windows drivers. I have checked in Device Manager and all my integrated amps show up and they all say working correctly. I’m not sure what to try next.

Describe your network setup

Comcast 1GB connection, Lutron 1GB Router, Lutron POE 1GB network switch, Eero Wifi7 access point. We have a fair amount of systems. Some are hard-wired, some are wifi, some are connected directly to the PC running Roon via USB.

Hi @David_Allen1,

First off, welcome to the community! We’re happy to have you here, although I’m sorry to hear its an issue that prompted your first post.

Following up on your issue, are you still seeing issues from both USB and airplay devices? The reason I ask is we have a known airplay issue we’re currently working on, I’ll share the tracking thread below:

If the same issue is occurring via USB, please reproduce the issue and share the date, time, and the name of the track playing or attempting to play.

We’ll be on standby for your reply. Thanks! :+1:

I have different resonses from Airplay and USB. When I try to play a song or album to Airplay the song will start in Roon (showing activity next to the song listing) but it never starts to actually play (the time counter remains at 0:00). When trying to send a song or album to a locally connected USB device, the songs will rapidly go through how ever many songs there are and then say Too Many Failures. Stopping Playback.
I have 4 devices connected locally via USB. 3 are integrated amps that use the Microsoft USB drivers (Hegel H95, Parasound HINT6 and Parasound New Classic 200). The fourth device is a Pro-Ject PreBox Digital S2. This device has it’s own driver and it works. All other devices work fine. I have a streamer and a DAC that are ethernet connected and a bunch of Sonos stuff that works fine with Sonos Streaming. I get the same repeatable results no matter what album I select.

Hi @David_Allen1,

Thanks for the additional information! We were able to review a fresh diagnostic report from your Roon Server and observed the following:

Trace: [Hegel USB Audio] [raatclient] SENT [6]{"request":"setup","format":{"sample_type":"pcm","sample_rate":44100,"bits_per_sample":16,"channels":2,"sample_subtype":"none"}}
Trace: [Hegel USB Audio] [raatclient] GOT [6] {"message":"RAAT__OUTPUT_PLUGIN_STATUS_FORMAT_NOT_SUPPORTED","status":"UnexpectedError"}

It looks like the Hegel is tripping up when attempting to play 44.1 kHz content which is odd. Can you review the device settings within Roon and ensure the settings align with the device?

Sorry for the slow response, I was not checking the support site for follow up. I am still having the AirPlay issue, no change. I do NOT have any USB devices.

I couldn’t really fnd any settings to change that made any difference. I think I’m up against a Windows 11 USB driver issue. I have 4 devices plugged into the computer via USB. One of them has a driver issued by the manufacturer and it works fine. The other 3 are supposed to be able to work with the built-in MS USB drivers. None of them works. Is there a resolution for this? Would I be better off rebuilding the computer to a Linux based OS?

Hi @David_Allen1,

Have you investigated updating your system audio drivers? This link may help:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html