KEF LS50 wireless - roon ready? [not roon ready, but supported natively]

Well, I was speculating a fair bit above, but I do work in a somewhat similar field. One of the things my company does is aggregates and redistributes market data from stock exchanges in realtime. Our ticker plant stacks process 1 million + messages/second per server, and we have rolled our own in-house messaging/streaming protocols, both TCP and UDP based, that require packet loss correction, retransmission/buffering, and millisecond latency.

Audiophile level streaming audio has similar requirements in many ways. On the other hand, our clients only care that the data is timely, accurate, and complete - they donā€™t have to worry about nanosecond jitter, electrical interference, noise, magnetic poles and voodoo atomic particles affecting the results ā€¦

1 Like

Cool :slight_smile: . To be fair, I did spend a few minutes talking to the fine folks @ the Roon booth.

I did not and wish I would have. Knowing ELAC the device probably sounds exceedingly nice for its price point. It is about 1/3 of the power and much smaller than something like the Mu-So so probably best for pretty small spaces, OTOH it may be dynamite in a stereo setup. Itā€™s supposedly going to be $400.

Links? Iā€™m trying to understand on what basis this is possible. Doing some cursory googling Iā€™m having trouble finding arguments for this. I know when PS Audioā€™s PerfectWave DAC + bridge came out one aspect to its appeal was the ability to stream wirelessly, electrically decoupling it from the source and this was hailed as a real leap forward for SQ, or at least that was my impression. Iā€™m fairly new to the speaker game but Iā€™ve been on Head-fi for about 15 years and canā€™t recall seeing an argument along these lines.

Iā€™ll say my impression from what I heard at Cedia is itā€™s more #1 w/ enhancements to overcome the shortcomingsā€¦ at the very least it was implied there is some trickery involved to get gapless working properly.

OTOH, regarding #3, I did mention this ā€˜kinkā€™ that is being worked on happened w/ my Tidal app as well, so much so that I stopped using in favor it going thru my ATV -> TV -> LS50 even though there is an audible degradation in SQ. That comment was met w/ some interest.

I was thinking some form of UPNP as well since the Kefs provide that and it seems like a path of least resistance but when I brought it up on another thread the Roon guys seemed to not like UPNP at all.

Could it be that the clients with millions (billions?!) at stake are easier to please than us poor audiophiles? :wink:

Ah, a quant. Years ago I had to fix some nasty issues in a proprietary protocol that resembled UDP for medical inventory tracking systems (if you saw Breaking Bad that scene where Gus and Mike visit the makeshift blood bank in the desert, those things carrying the blood were part of the product line).

Yeah, Iā€™ve seen those comments.

It could be that theyā€™re not a fan of UPnP but w/ some secret sauce it provides a good enough user experience. Just speculating.

I think their money is easier to please. Those bigger returns make it easier to justify the kilobuck cables. A better digital to analog conversion, so to speak.

No not a quant. I wish (sort of). We simply provide financial data that quants might use to make their firms/hedge funds vast sums of money.

Tv to LS50 I assume is by optical. My sq went up using an ifi spidf purifier. But sq is much better via SonicOrbiter or USBridge to the USB port.

There is an interesting article on Ethernet audio in the July issue of sound by sound.

Quick search on my mobile

Like I say Iā€™ve seen it said as occasional opinion in these forums thatā€™s all I donā€™t have further detail.

Useful discussion though would be good to get that thorough understanding.

You can optically isolate the ethernet coming into the Kef from the rest of your ethernet set-up e.g. ethernet from network->fibre media converter->fibre patch cable->fibre media converter->ethernet to KEF.

I have this set-up feeding my microRendu (which in turn feeds my KEFā€™s via. USB) and, once the Roon update comes out Iā€™ll be using the same setup to feed my LS50Wā€™s e.g.

ROCK->ethernet->TP-Link pro switch->ethernet->FMC->fibre->FMC->ethernet->LS50Ws

The ROCK, switch, and FMCā€™s are all fed by linear power supplies. Probably overkill but Iā€™m making full use of the various power rails available on the HD-Plex 200W LPSU.

If anyone is interested my ROCK is running on an Intel NUC in an Akasa fanless case (the Plato X - highly recommended) and being fed 15V, the switch is a TP-Link Smart switch with storeā€™nā€™forward switching fed by 9V, both FMCā€™s are TP-Link AC100ā€™s being fed by 5V (I deliberately chose 10/100 ethernet rather than full-fat gigabit as the latter generate more electrical noise due to their higher frequency of operation).

1 Like

Apparently, there is no such thing as overkill in the audio world :slight_smile:

I donā€™t think Ethernet cables are as noisy as USB cables though, but let us know if your solution improves the sound over a vanilla Ethernet cable once you can test it.

The differences are, admittedly, marginal but they are there (to my ears anyway). Incidentally, my total outlay for optical isolation of ethernet costs about Ā£50 (not incl. the linear power supply) and so I see it as buying confidence that I have done what I can - sensibly - do to maximise the potential of the source feeding the KEFā€™s.

In my previous Naim system I did, at one point, get a bit obsessive about cables, etc. (yes, I was one of those) but my thinking has matured somewhat and I do extensive research before committing funds to any system improvements. I am a definite believer in minimising noise in digital audio setups mainly because I have heard the differences first hand.

Thatā€™s one of the things I love about these LS50Wā€™s. KEF have done all the hard work of system/component matching, etc. with minimum signal path lengths to boot. :slight_smile: The only thing I now have to worry about is minimising noise to the KEFs.

[quote=ā€œRik_Carter, post:386, topic:15054, full:trueā€]
Thatā€™s one of the things I love about these LS50Wā€™s. KEF have done all the hard work of system/component matching, etc. with minimum signal path lengths to boot. :slight_smile: The only thing I now have to worry about is minimising noise to the KEFs.
[/quote]I donā€™t have the KEFs myself, currently I have a pair of Dynaudio Excite 14A (active version) + subwoofer, which sounds good but I am thinking about the KEFs. No more bother about DACs, cables, USB noise, etc, and they seem to get 5/5 on all reviews. They also have real bass management with adjustable crossover and sub-out.

1 Like

Nice speaker. Iā€™m using a REL T7/i with my LS50Wā€™s and, after a couple of hours with positioning/calibration (of both sub and the speakers), Iā€™ve got them nicely integrated. The bass on the KEFā€™s are exceptional on their own but Iā€™ve found that the sub has (a) brought that 30-50hz region on albums into play (particularly movie soundtracks which I play often), (b) allowed me to resolve a bass booming issue due to a room mode (I was getting a lot of bass boom at about 55-65hz which, after Iā€™d calibrated my sub using an Antimode 8033, I could isolate as the bass being produced by the KEFs) by setting the crossover on the KEFs to 75hz; and Ā© does mean the KEFs are not having to work so hard at reproducing full range which should (in theory) mean they do a better job in the mid/treble.

Perhaps they finally integrated the Sonore Upnp bridge into the ROON server softwareā€¦ I do gapless playback from Roon to my LS50W via UPnP from the beginning via the Sonore UPnP bridge. This runs as a seperate ā€˜appā€™ besides the Roon serverā€¦

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sonoreupnp-bridge-beta/15698

5 posts were split to a new topic: Low cost ELAC Roon Ready speakers (Z3)

we did not.

Good news! :wink:

Update to the app just came across. I took a screenshot of the details. Pretty nice.