Main Genre page>Sort: 'By number of albums': Include sub-genres in top-level genre album totals

So perhaps against my better judgement, I’ve decided to start to remove the Pop/Rock genre entirely from my library, as the first stage in a project to improve genre info in my library…

Among the many issues with genre handling, I’ve noticed (along with other users) that the album count for top-level genres used on the Genre screen differs from the count from the Focus function.

tldr: The album count for top-level genres on the Genre screen doesn’t include albums from its sub-genres.

For example:

My WIP Genre screen before removing Pop/Rock:

In order to move Pop/Rock out of the main genre screen I’ve moved it into a trash sub-genre of Easy Listening - Other. Along with a few sub-genres from Pop/Rock based on periods, artist ‘type’, or that continue the unwanted Pop/Rock combination. As well as other unpopulated sub-genres, to be sorted out later:

I then moved the sub-genres of Pop/Rock into the relevant new top-level genres of Rock (user created) and the existing Roon genre of Pop. .

My new Genre screen looks like this:

How my genres appear in Focus:

Also notice that my new top-level genre of Rock has the third largest number of albums (including sub-genres), but is only in 11th place on the main genre page. I still need to remove the Rock/Pop genre tag from albums (outside Roon in a third party editor for local files), adding a new Rock or Pop tag as required.

Briefly, as others have reported, genre handling needs improving in Roon:

Roon defined top-level genres and sub-genres need to be able to be hidden, so they don’t appear on the main Genre page, and on the Home>‘Genres for you’ panel.

This should also automatically, system wide, change the relevant album tags, so they are in the negative state within the Edit Album dialogue, and don’t appear on the album page. With unwanted genre tags on new additions to your library from TIDAL and Qobuz, as well as new local files, also being hidden:

Roon also needs to treat user defined genres like it’s own; showing Recommended artists and albums, and New releases:

And more control over genre artwork would be helpful:

2 Likes

Thank you for linking my thread. :grinning::+1:

Yes we need some genre love