Manfred's Mangle Lives On

A post titled “Manfred’s Mangle” was closed on Jan 24. The post, started in October 2021, documented an unambiguous error in the way Roon determines whether a performance (usually classical) is a complete one. The app has a handy toggle switch to include or exclude performances deemed to be incomplete. (See below)

The post received one response from Roon: “My apologies for the delayed response. As always, we appreciate the heads up here. We’ll take a look at how this information is reflected on our metadata providers’ side and see what we can do! Please understand that we can’t make any promises regarding a timeline for corrections when coordinating with our metadata providers.”

And, as I said, the matter, or at least the thread, is now closed.

Except… the problem persists. For the Manfred symphony, Roon still incorrectly calculates nine incomplete performances, when in fact there is just one. No change in 18 months.

Counting stuff is something computers are supposed to be good at. Its irksome to see such a basic issue get the “we’ll see what we can do” treatment.

Some who are reading this may be thinking: what’s the big deal? Fair point, to which I might respond, if Roon’s routine to count incomplete performances doesn’t work, remove it. Don’t tease users with a feature that doesn’t work now and hasn’t worked in quite some time.

I cannot count the number of times I reported or commented on this issue before. Here are a few.

[Edit: It would be nice if you could add a link to the post you referred to].

etc…

And see @Mike explnations when this “feature” was introduced in Roon 1.8.

What happened with those ideas about improving and expanding this data in the future that @Mike talked about?

This is an example of a lingering issue which was vastly documented but never solved and, I am afraid, now forgotten. As you wrote in your post, and as I frequently suggested, please Roon devs come with a solution, or simply remove this half baked feature.

André Gosselin

1 Like

Hi @Andre_Gosselin ,

Thanks for the reminder on this one and for providing all those links, I’ve linked them to the existing development ticket we have, and I’ll remind the team about this in our next review cycle. I can’t make any promises on timelines, but thanks for keeping us aware that the issue is still ongoing :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.