Max volume on start of playback via Airplay - Naim Mu-so & Mu-so Qb [Solved]

Have you considered that it may be a bug in the Naim Firmware?
I have been involved with Naim developers over the last few days (as an end user) & they are actually looking for bugs (yes it’s plural) in the firmware of the MuSo & QB.

Your frustration is understandable but it’s looking like the Naim devices may be the issue, not necessarily Roon.

The price/value is another matter but as for the implementation being “catastrophic” there are many users, myself included, who don’t share that view especially when there’s not really any other software out there that can achieve so much.

1 Like

In my ongoing dealings with Naim there appears to be one person dealing with this issue on a “part time basis.” That is, a “part time” investigation into our Max Volume issue, I’ve no doubt there are many other tasks also waiting his attention.

A post was split to a new topic: Roon Max Volume on Denon 8500H

Last night I got a message from my lessor while I was not at home, that my Mu-so started playback at 100% und he woke up and turned it off because I didn’t response. I have no VPN connection, I didn’t start anything.

Naim MuSo 1at gen. Still hitting 100% every time Room plays as End Point under Airplay. Even with Max Volume in Naim app set lower.

This bug is quite old now.
There should be an update on progress by now.

A little over a week ago I was in touch with Steve at Naim who is investigating this problem. After much investigation, he is of the opinion that the source of the problem might finally have been identified.
Apparently, there is a bug in the system when the streaming is “resumed” with the Roon Core, or that’s my interpretation of the situation. We did not discuss timescales for a fix.

One thing was pretty certain that issue is with the MuSo firmware and how it’s communicating with Roon. I share everyone’s frustration with the communication and delayed fix but hopefully this will reassure that’s things are happening, albeit SLOWLY :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Hi All, the silence is deafening so I thought the following comment from Naim might be of interest:-

We’ve had to escalate it to the third party who did the Airplay2 component integration for us, as although there was a bug on Naim’s host micro side, that was only part of the problem.

This comment was received on August 3rd along with additional comments which, I decided, would not be appropriate to include here.
There’s a lot more involved in this problem than it appears but i’m hoping we will see a resolution soon :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Oh Naim and their firmware. It’s really not their strong point given all the issues with the latest Uniti systems update.

In the case of the 100% volume issue, there appears to be a “Roon Element” to the problem as well. That said, I’m not a software engineer so I can’t (Dare not) really add anything more meaningful.

A quick “update” no more news. I emailed “the man” for an update a few days ago but no response yet. I am starting to think we might be stuck with the volume issue indefinitely. I certainly won’t be upgrading to the mark 2 variants.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for the update.
My workaround here is to play with the volume slider constantly as soon as I hit play, this doesn’t solve the problem but in the end the volume is adjusted to a decent level even before a sound is emitted.
Combining this + limiting max volume in the Naim app makes it usable, though not fully convenient…

Hope this will be fixed by Naim, but if they do not issue an update, roon could implement my workaround on their side by doing a vol+ / vol - sequence on streaming startup to a muso.

Ben

Update:

I have had a reply from Naim. There appears to be issues with the implementation of Airplay2 which the 3rd party developers aren’t able to resolve.
Naim are now looking for a “work around” which may involve, as you mentioned, sending volume writes to the MuSo on startup…let’s hope it’s not too much longer. :crossed_fingers:t3:

3 Likes

After blasting my ears out, I just ignored the airplay route and selected the chromecast audio which i inserted into my muso instead.

I only had roon for the trial as I don’t have 500 smackers to pay up and I really didn’t want to go down the route of yearly subs but I think I am remembering correctly that my B&W zep had the same issue with airplay/roon. I maybe wrong and misremembering though.

I can’t claim to fully understand the coding issues described to me, by Naim, but the same problem (100% volume) is no surprise from my basic understanding of their comments.

Maybe someone from @support is in a position to provide an update as, I’m guessing, there could well be volume issues when using AirPlay2 on other devices?

Hi @PixelPopper,

At this time, we are aware of this behavior occurring on Naim MuSo and Libratone Zipp, there have not been any reports regarding this behavior for B&W Zep. This issue can only be addressed from the manufacturer’s side, and we are collaborating with Naim and Libratone towards a resolution.

1 Like

Hi Norris, thanks for your response, it might be a day or two before I can do it, but I will message you with some comments from Naim on this subject (for your perusal).

Regards, Paul

1 Like

I’ve emailed NAIM about this also, just to hopefully try and push the matter. Nearly blew the speakers off my MUSO discovering this fault :frowning:…after paying for my lifetime subscription I may add which has me debating it keeping it beyond the 30 days as I own three Muso’s.

I do feel though, after speaking to one of their engineers on the phone, they have little interest or motivation in fixing the issue as their new units are now out. They won’t even be making the old ones Roon Ready, when he admitted that it wouldnt be massively difficult to implement.

I certainly share your impression of a lack of urgency on behalf of Naim, however, my contact did say they are “looking” at a workaround.
The information provided, by Naim, to me suggested this problem is not solely down to their equipment but due to the implementation of AirPlay 2 & how it’s been engineered.
I certainly won’t consider any Naim purchase in the future.

Im not holding out any hope for this workaround, considering it’s been nearly a year since the problem was first reported.

This is really quite sad of Naim…one of the UK’s finest eh?

I don’t have a Muso but agree, the new Uniti line has its issues that are still unresolved and every firmware update is a gamble to whether it will change sq or bring new bugs. Software is not their strong point.