New NUC install won't boot

Yes, if you edit the original path, Roon will treat all the music as the same and preserve edits/plays etc. Otherwise, Roon treats them as new additions.

I had the exact same problem. Fortunately, your post saved me from returning everything and canceling my roon subscription. The fact that they provid such misleading instructions is appalling. Unfortunately, the instructions about migrating oneā€™s database from a previous core were not included at the top of the instruction, so I may have lost the playlists I spent hours creating.

Kursten, We are glad you did not return your Nuc nor did you cancel your subscription. So as to help others can you please communicate what steps exactly helped You on this post? You were not clear on that point.

Hi there.

I canā€™t thank you enough for taking the time to provide this guidance. As a complete novice to the world of NUCs, BIOS etc. I was starting to lose the will to live and wondering if Iā€™d make a big mistake in buying one.

The sense of achievement when I finally followed your instructions and set up correctly was enormous!

1 Like

I would further plead with Roon to update the instructions for setting up a NUC!

Conor, Kursten, no worries, pleased this post is still helping others out! I too find it quite baffling that Roon havenā€™t updated the install instructions - itā€™s a long time since I ran into these issues.

Thereā€™s one setting I didnā€™t find here or in the Roon ROCK setup or BIOS instructions. To get rid of the ā€œno bootable device detectedā€ message and show the Roon installation USB drive, I needed to disable Secure Boot in the NUCā€™s BIOS. I found the solution on an Intel NUC forum. Along with setting the BIOS (temporarily) to boot from USB first, this did the trick. (After Roon installation, donā€™t forget to uncheck ā€œboot from USB firstā€ before optionally adding USB storage, or you wonā€™t boot.)

Your mileage my vary. My NUC 10 had Secure Boot as a feature and it was enabled by default. Earlier NUCs may not have this feature.

Like so many other posters have said, Roon needs to update its ROCK setup instructions. Iā€™m using the precise NUC 10, RAM, and SSD from its current recommendations, and I still had to troubleshoot for hours what shouldā€™ve been a 10-minute setup.

Getting a bit ridiculous the guide hasnā€™t been updated yet - my original post/build was over a year ago nowā€¦

Thats the way they operate. Just as slow fixing bugsā€¦

Not being able to find a boot disk caused me a lot of hair-pulling, as apparently it has for others:

I just got my NUC10i7FNH configured and my problem was getting it to see my 2.5" SSD as a boot option. After doing all the other things per the installation guide (Legacy Boot, etc.), the trick that eventually allowed me to proceed was turning off Secure Boot in the Boot section of the BIOS, which on the 10th Gen. NUC is (at least on mine) the Aptio-V BIOS. Other issues were typical hassles that were minor and easier to figure out. For example, I checked the box to boot to USB, but unchecked it after it successfully loaded the image on the SSD. And Iā€™m not sure if it prefers or can use Fast Boot, but left that unchecked.

Agree that the instructions could be a lot clearer. It seems there needs to be a lot of ā€œreading between the linesā€ as well figuring out BIOS variations. Thereā€™s a link to an Intel page for switching to Legacy mode, but I didnā€™t find anything that instructs to disable Secure Boot. I donā€™t believe, also, that I needed to change the Secondary Power Settings as described in the link.

I hope this helps.

The last few posts regarding turning off Secure Boot saved me a ton of time. Many thanks for posting. My problem was confounded by an older Kensington USB flash drive that the NUC/ROCK didnā€™t recognize (other PCs do).

ROCK instructions also mention setting the boot priority in BIOS to the m.2 SSD in the step before installing the Core OS. After exploring every option in the BIOS boot menu, I called Intel and was informed that the boot priority cannot be set until the operating system is installed. Sure enough, once the OS was installed, the boot priority selection became active.

I agree that Roon could save new ROCK implementers a bunch of time by updating instructions. The difficulty makes one think twice about investing in a lifetime subscription.

All things considered, Iā€™m finally up and running ROCK without much depth of understanding of any of the steps to get to get it up and running. Fanless NUC case I bought from HDPLEX was a fun project, too. My ROCK sounds and looks great.

Ultra Nuc 6 pro i7 (Akasa fanless case)upgraded to ROCK, strictly by the instructions, with no issues whatsoever.

I have the files on a USB drive, easier to keep up to date,

I have a new NUC10i3FNH with 8GB Mem,240GB M.2 and 480GB SSD
BIOS updated to FNCM357.0046.2020.0928.1457
Page 3/3 of Roon ROCK Update & Config will not work. My NUC behaves differently.
I can find no way to specify the USB for load.
ScreenMachine James is pretty extensive but I cannot duplicate it.
Has anybody any bright ideas for me to follow.
Its misty here on the Tyne in Northern England

No idea if this will help, but I had the exact same adventure. I posted a few links that helped me in a separate thread which Iā€™ve linked below. All I can say is that it is possible, which is not good advice. But Iā€™ve unfortunately now gotten past the issue, so Iā€™m no longer able to give good advice. But I was qualified a few weeks ago. This will be you too. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with the NUC nor with you, just that instructions are not detailed. Hope the below helps.

Miss the Tyne (am a yank back on his side of the Atlantic, but with a lot of English miles under his boots)

Thanks Johnny_Oo
I got over that hurdle by stumbling around the BIOS boot page and ā€œdisabling secure bootā€
That fixed it and proceeded into the Roon OS.
I just hope I have not created other problems for myself!

Glad you got it worked out! Welcome to the future. Stubbornness bears dividends. Or persistence, as my teachers used to say.

Same problem here, instructions are dated. Please mention to disable secure boot.
I installed my own NUC7I3 last year, it took me forever fiddling with the settings to get it booting from the USB-drive. I forgot all about it, I now just did a Roon Rock install on a friendā€™s new NUC10I3 and again took me forever to realize I should disable the secure boot to start from USB!

1 Like

Yes! Please add disabling secure boot to the instructions. Just wasted an hour or two figuring this out. And this thread didnā€™t come up when googling the issue either, which didnā€™t help. I actually came here to start a new thread about my issue.

This issue has been brought up here multiple times to which Roon has turned a deaf ear or two. :frowning_face:

Yeah. Itā€™s also true that one neednā€™t update the BIOS.

That injunction is several years old and is no longer relevant.