Mac os Monterey 12.5.1
Macbook pro 2018

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Using built-in output

Number of Tracks in Library

~11450

Description of Issue

I am using the macbook pro as core and output device.
There are no system outputs available in settings/audio (external output, loudspeakers, system default, etc). I only see a network audio device (rpi). I have the latest version of roon.

Any definitive solution for this?

Quick question, have you tried updating to 12.6 and see if that resolves the issue? I use a 2019 MBPro for my Core and have not had issues with either release, but 12.6 may help.

Hi @Elece,

Any luck with getting things working?

Thanks,
Wes

No, updating to mac os latest version, didn’t solve the issue.

Any updates on this? Has been an issue for many months and as I mentioned, in the meantime I did a clean MacOS reinstallation, so it’s a roon issue most probably.

Hi @Elece,

I apologize for the slow response. Somehow your last post was buried and I greatly appreciate your patience.

One of the things we have seen is that ALL audio devices are missing on Mac OS when the computer is set to sleep.

Under system preferences > energy saver, how are things set? Here’s what mine looks like and what it should look like for Mac core users. There was something we’d refer to as a bug in 1.8 or earlier versions where the application was preventing the sleep on its own regardless of the settings and is a possible explainer for the behavior you’re observing.

Wes

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 8.18.19 AM

I have the same settings, but the problem persists. I think it happens when there is audio already playing from some other app and I open roon. Like I said, it’s a bit random.

I am curious as to whether or not there is corruption in the application causing this because you aren’t the only one this has happened to.

Will you please try a fresh install via the method below and try to duplicate the issue?

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup
1 Like

Hello Wes. Reinstalling doesn’t solve the issue (with or without using the backup). Energy saving settings don’t have anything to do either I guess, because I’ve sitting for 10 minutes using the computer while doing the installation and the system output isn’t showing either. At this point it is clear there is a bug in roon core accessing local Mac Os audio drivers or something like that. Please try to get this issue up from the backlog, it’s been going on since march and it’s really frustrating.

Hi Elece,

One question for you. Are you by chance using Time Machine and/or was it used to restore a backup here recently?

Thanks,
Wes

I am using Time machine. I honestly don’t remember if I restored roon’s backup from time machine or from my cloud backup when I did a fresh install a few months ago. When I restored a few days ago, it was a local backup, no time machine/cloud used.

Ok, I have an idea. I will message you. Please let me know if this fixes it for you.

Wes

Just to add, since reinstalling, I haven’t been able to select local system outputs. Before, there was a 50/50 chance that when opening roon the outputs would show, now they never show.

Hi @Elece,

Thank you for reporting back. I am working on collecting some instances of this (we have only a few) but we’ll be attempting to duplicate it on our end.

To clarify though, you did rename the Roon folder and installed fresh with no import of your database and the issue still persisted?

Can you show me a screenshot of your audio outputs in system preferences? This is Ventura’s new view of my settings

Yes, I looked before and after retrieveing the backup and no output shown in roon’s audio section.
Here is mac os sound section:

Thank you for the screenshot, @Elece.

I will be discussing your case (and some others) with our development group today to see what we can do on our side.

Thanks,
Wes

Hello @Wes . Any updates? To be honest, its extremely frustrating having paid what at least for me, is a lot of money, for a piece of software that has been broken too long. I reported this many months ago. I don’t know how rare or outlier my case is, you may have thousand of users, I only have one roon subscription.

I’m having the same issue on Mac OS 13.1.

My original thread was more focused on my USB DAC not showing up. But it is more correctly stated as this thread is titled - No System Outputs. Had it been given a chance perhaps someone would have made that connection, but it was immediately moved into tinkering because I happen to be using a Proxmox VM.

Because my MacBook Air and iPhone can play from their local outputs as well as any network outputs, I believe this is really unlikely to be the root cause.

The only machine where Roon seems to have trouble recognizing local outputs is my Mac Studio.

I have spent a great deal of time on this and do not feel any closer to reaching a solution. I do think it may have something to do with mDNS discovery, IGMP, and possibly IPv6. But I can’t quite put my finger on what might be the problem.

I’ve scrubbed my entire system for all of Roon’s files and removed them all, restarted, and then reinstalled cleanly.

I’ve got packet captures from both the Mac side and the ROCK side and would be happy to share with Roon Staff, but I don’t think it’s really a network issue.

I do see this error in the console when I start Roon on my Mac Studio where no local devices can be seen:

Prompting policy for hardened runtime; service: kTCCServiceMicrophone requires entitlement com.apple.security.device.audio-input but it is missing for responsible={TCCDProcess: identifier=com.roon.Roon, pid=27537, auid=501, euid=501, responsible_path=/Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon, binary_path=/Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon}, requesting={TCCDProcess: identifier=RAATServer, pid=27540, auid=501, euid=501, binary_path=/Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/RAATServer},

But, I also see that error on my MacBook Air which works fine.

Hi @Elece and @Mike_Loiterman both.

First, @Elece my apologies for the delay in response. I pride myself in responding to every case so I sincerely apologize.

Is Apple’s Time Machine being used on these computers? We advise against it due to issues like these arising.

Another possibility I don’t see we’ve tried is to refresh RAAT on the cores.

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Wes

@Wes
Thank you!

Deleting the RAATServer folder fixed my issue for me. I’ve been wrestling with this for months and haven’t been able to enjoy Roon for a LONG time.

Thank you!

1 Like