Nucleus + continues to not work - frustrating

Recently purchased a Nucleus+ and it has been far less stable than when running on a Celeron based Qnap. I must be doing something wrong.

Problems include:
Inability to play mqa on any device
Losing audio devices constantly
Running slower than the qnap (time it takes to start a song)
Constantly losing artwork
Playlists won’t carry from backup

Reinstalled server software twice
Backup from qnap Roon server twice

Router is Linksys ac5400
Tidal mqa account
Dacs used - PS Audio DSD - w Bridge, PS Audio DSD - Auralic Aries usb, Ayre Qx5 twenty, Mytek Manhattan II

A major part of my frustration (probably age related) is buying a $2500 piece of gear with a virtually nonexistent manual/startup guide. Awesome if everything works, if not it means trial and error searching on your knowledge base. Also not being able to directly email a support person is lame. Even if you offered a paid tier that would be better than this.

Flagging @support for you.

Thanks, Martin. Was not sure how to do that. As silly as it may seem. Not used to this support process yet. In the future just add “@support” and that flags them? I thought I only had to put it the support section.

In theory, either method will work. A flag is usually quicker.

For support to help you they’ll probably want to know a few things. See this link -

Thanks Slim, I read that, but as a newbie was unsure what flag meant. I get it now.

Either is fine.

I’m sure @support will be able to get this working for you @Brian_Emerson. Can you let me know how many tracks are in your library?

Also, can you let me know how everything is connected? Ethernet? What networking gear is in use? Any switches, access points, etc – that information will help support get this stable for you.

Lastly, can you let me know where you purchased the Nucleus+ from? I’m sure @support will have some more questions for you, but this will help them get started.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble here!

AJ, you are correct. Unfortunately they suggest I start here.

Linksys ac5400>Trendnet teg680g gigabit switch>Nucleus
Files are on qnap210 also connected to the switch

Purchased online from HiDeflifestyle.com

BTW running now from the qnap with the Nucleus+ shutdown with no problems.

Thanks!

1770 Albums 18444 Tracks

Saw your post Slim, they sell through Amazon.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Brian – you’ll hear from the guys tomorrow.

For now:

Can you actually just boot the Nucleus up one more time, and leave it up for maybe 10-15 minutes? I have our system set up so we can collect some diagnostics the next time it contacts our servers.

Thanks,

M

Done. Thanks!

@noris – logs are in on his admins page

Hello @Brian_Emerson,

Appreciate your patience here until we have had a chance to look at the diagnostics. I would like to propose a test here, can you please try making a Backup of your current Nucleus DB and try using a fresh database on your Nucleus? You can reset the Nucleus database in the WebUI under the following option:

Nucleus%20Database%20Reset

After performing the database reset, I would try to verify if you are able to experience the same issue when using only TIDAL content, please do not add your NAS share(s) for the time being until after running this test for a day or so.

If you are still experiencing issues after using a fresh database, I kindly ask you to let me know the exact local time in your country (ex. 10:22AM) that you experience any issues so that we can take a look at the new diagnostics after starting with a fresh database.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Norris, thanks for your help.
Running all day without complaint (Tidal only). I’ll give it another day and let you know.

Thanks!

1 Like

Tidal issues @7:35 local time

Completely dead again won’t play Tidal. 8:12 pm local time.

Hello @Brian_Emerson,

Thanks for letting me know. I can confirm that the most recent diagnostics from your machine have reached our servers and I have asked QA to take a look, I will be sure to let you know once this request reaches their queue.

While we are waiting to hear back from them, I would like to go over your multicast settings as I believe this may be related. I would double check to see if your router has the ability to enable “IGMP Proxying” or “IGMP Snooping” and also verify that any multicast settings are enabled on it. Would you be able to check these settings and also make sure that multicast is not being filtered as per Linksys’ documentation?

If you can confirm that the behavior is the same when bypassing the switch and connecting the Nucleus directly to the router that would also be a good data point to have.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Norris,
I do not have the ability to enable IGMP proxying or snooping. Evidently it is not offered on Linksys home routers. Multicast is off. I’m unclear as to whether you want it on or off. I will plug directly into the router and retest later today.

Thanks