Nucleus crash crash and crash

hello
a month ago I was tired of repeated crashes of my nucleus. So I reinstalled my CORE on my laptop. So for a month, there were no crashes. Now I’m plugging in the Nucleus, the first crash after two days. I have to unplug the nucleus to reactivate it. Otherwise I find the page that is looking for without it reactivating the Core. What is the problem with this device that regularly disappoints me since its purchase two years ago.
Obviously I have done everything that needs to be done: restart the network and the router, check if I have the latest version of Roon etc… I have a Naim NDX2.
You will tell me that it is not too much grace to have to unplug and reconnect the nucleus. I’m tired of it because at the price it’s worth, you’d expect it to work. Always obliged to reactivate it because you can’t find the Core. From a guy who loves Roon but hates his nucleus. If you ever find something I haven’t tried yet!! thank you!
Pierre

Seems to be a few Nucleus problems lately.

This worked for others -

I showed you the ROCK GUI because that’s what I run, but the Nucleus GUI has the same options.

1 Like

I had a similar problem. I tried:

1. Navigate to RoonServer -> Database -> Orbit
  2. In that folder you will find a subfolder. Delete the one named orbit_v3.db
  3. changed my database to database_old

The telling thing though was when I connected my Nucleus to a monitor via the HDMI. I had been fighting similar symptoms as you since January. I turns out my M2 SSD was failing, and the screen output revealed my problem.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, we’re reinstalling first and restarting after…
thank you

Yes, that’s the way I did it…

Come to think of it, I just restarted the Server, but both won’t hurt. Belt and suspenders (braces), I guess.

in my case I didn’t install an ssd in the nucleus. Maybe I don’t really understand the explanation…

in my case I didn’t install an ssd in the nucleus. Maybe I don’t really understand the explanation…

I think @huang Is referring to the M.2 drive that the OS is on. Technically, that is also an SSD.

1 Like

Mine is flashing up the frowny face screen saying I need to restore backup. It happens at random times during the day and on days that aren’t the same, but it is at least once a week. Cold booting the Nucleus seems to resolve it, and no restore from backup is needed.

Perhaps a choice on that database death screen to reboot would be helpful? IDK. It just has been happening a lot lately and I haven’t done anything different.

1 Like

Connect a monitor via HDMI to your Nucleus, it is a good troubleshooting indication of what is going on.

2 Likes

hello
I am discouraged. I wonder why I bought a very expensive nucleus that always breaks down. Crash after crash. I made the latest updates of Roon and Ios. and nothing changes. I reinstalled the system and started the software again. Another crash. the Core is not detected. I have to unplug and reconnect the device to have access to my data.
I got lots of suggestions but nothing works. Do I have to make a request directly to the support. and say that with a simple laptop there was no failure in a month. to have known I would not have bought the Nucleus. the laptop works in wifi and nucleus in ethernet
thank you

Tagging @support for you.

Good luck.

1 Like

Hi @pierre_jubinville,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re having issues with your Nucleus. Your thread was in the Roon Software channel. I moved it to Support when I saw the support ping from @xxx.

Let’s start by trying an OS reinstall and Server reset on your Nucleus

• Create a fresh backup
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI or use this link http://nucleus.local
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • Reinstall Roon Os from the WebUI
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
  • If everything starts up as expected Restore your Backup prior to the issue starting
  • If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you continue to have problems with your unit after that, please connect a monitor or TV to one of the HDMI ports on the back of your Nucleus and post a photo of what you see here. That will provide us with more details.

We’ll be watching for your reply. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you very much

Sorry for the confusion and thank you again

update… the Nucleus came back to life after a half-hour disconnection. I plugged it somewhere else in the house but in the switch box and not on the wall as it was before. I had no problem configuring it. The question is whether it will hold. I will now scroll through your recommendations.
thank you

If I have only a Ipad pro…what can i do to….

• Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • Reinstall Roon Os from the WebUI

Look in the App store under Remote File Managers. They should let your access ROCK’s files from your iPad using the instructions linked to here or in @jamie’s post.

To access the Web GUI, hook a monitor up to the Nucleus. After it boots up, you will see an IP address. Enter that in a web browser.

Or you can try this in a web browser, but I’ve never had luck with that method.

If you can get into Settings==>About from a Remote, the IP will be displayed for your Nucleus. As directed here -

Thank you for the update @pierre_jubinville and for your generous recommendations @xxx!

I’ll watch for further updates, I hope the database reset gets you going. :crossed_fingers:t2:

Hello
Right now it’s been going well. But it’s only been 24 hours. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.
What I did: I first turned off the Nucleus for over an hour. That brought it back alive.
Then I like everything reinstalled as recommended including application on the ipad pro, services. I also changed the cable and moved the nucleus by plugging it directly into the switch.
Thank you

1 Like

This is very encouraging new @pierre_jubinville. Setting aside the database paired with an OS reinstall is typically the magic combination. I think you’re out of the woods but let’s continue to monitor to be sure it holds. :v:t2: