Nucleus Plus S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad Error - Need Assistance (ref#OULVJ2)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

I'm having trouble with my Nucleus hardware

What's happening with your Nucleus?

Other

My Nucleus Plus gave up…

It no longer boots – and gives me the following error message

Port 2: XP0064GDZMF

S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad, Backup and Replace

Press F1 to resume

I dropped the unit last week to the dealer in Vienna, Austria but he seems at a loss.

Any chance you could assist / advise how to proceed?

I am an early adopter of Roon with over 250K titles in my library and am dearly missing the very core of my music systems

Thank you and best regards

Gert F Kopera

SMART is an error monitor and reporting system in storage drives:

And „status: BAD“ is probably a failed or about-to-fail drive:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088281/intel-nuc.html

If you can still boot by pressing F1, ensure that you make backup of your Roon database if you don’t have a current one already.

How old is your unit? Pressing F1 ends in a boot loop?

5 years…

No reaction other than the Smart Bad message…

Okay, since it’s a nucleus you should open a case at roon’s support form. They should know the best way for a solution.

Well the thread was already open in Support. I moved it now to Nucleus Support specifically.

RoonLabs support will advise of the next steps but as @Gert_Kopera bought the Nucleus from the dealer and it’s out of warranty, the only thing that can be done is probably to exchange the SSD for a new one, reinstall, and restore the library from backup.

Hopefully the dealer can help with that or RoonLabs can help the dealer (as it is a bit concerning that they had no clue about this error in the first place)

Hi Gert,

XP0064GDZMF

Is the model of an Adata 64GB 6G SATA 2242 MLC M.2 SSD-ADA HARD DRIVE. The OS drive is probably shot. Even if you could boot up, I wouldn’t trust any backups made now.

As others have said, SMART is a drive monitoring system that counts errors. At this point, the BIOS has noticed and is telling you that the number of errors on this drive makes it unreliable.

You need to change the OS drive. That is a 2242 format M.2 drive.

The next steps involve getting a replacement drive, replacing it in the unit, installing ROCK and then having Roon Support upgrade the ROCK software to the Nucleus software.

I would have said your dealer should be able to handle this, but, am surprised you said they had no clue.

Either way, I do suggest that you wait til support jumps in to give you some extra guidance.

@benjamin

Thank you bery much Daniel! Will wait for both, Roon Support and the dealer to get back to me and suffer the pain of no access to my music in the meantime.

Just installed a spare Meridian 210 to ease the pain, streaming Spotify in one of the rooms…

Gert

I did, but so far no response…

Hi @Gert_Kopera,

Thanks for writing in, and I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues with your Nucleus.

@Rugby is correct in that you’ll likely need to replace the M.2 SSD within the Nucleus. You do have the option to do this manually, or we can get you in touch with one of our distributors that is closest to you.

Let me know which process you’d like to proceed with and I can follow up with the next steps. :pray:

1 Like

Hi Benjamin

The unit is now with your dealer in Vienna, Austria since a week but he does not seem to know what he is doing. Happy to collect the Nucleus and do the works myself if you can guide me through. Please let me know how to proceed.

best regards, Gert

The steps were given by @benjamin is this recent post of his:

I would use a Samsung SSD rather than the Transcend recommended by him, but that’s just my personal view.

Hi Geoff, thanks for your help. I will collect my Nucleus back from the agent, get the SSD (Samsung) and do the swap. Will you walk me through the next steps and should I upgrade the RAM while I am at it?

there is no link to the suggested SSD - should I get the 990 Pro or another model?

A Samsung 980 250GB would be sufficient, IMO.

With over 250k tracks in your library, then it’s probably not a bad idea to upgrade your RAM to 16GB or possibly even 32GB (I don’t think the standard Nucleus+ has this much).

I would use a matched pair of RAM cards to make up the total (e.g. two 8GB cards for 16GB or two 16GB for 32GB). This thread gives some more information about RAM upgrades…

1 Like

Hi @Gert_Kopera,

Thanks for the update! You’re in good hands with the information @Geoff_Coupe has shared above. I’ll be on standby in case you have any additional questions along the way. :+1:

Indeed, am in good hands. Bought the ssd, bought the Ram and am waiting to receive the unit back.

The I’ll need your help to install Rock and eventually roon back onto my system.

Thank you

Now I need your help… I have installed the new SSD and am looking for the ROCK software to download. No idea which one. My Nucleus+ is a Revision A and the SSD I installed is a Samsung 980 PRO. Can you please guide me? Thanks
Gert

There is only one installer for ROCK. The download link is:
https://download.roonlabs.net/builds/roonbox-linuxx64-nuc4-usb-factoryreset.img.gz

…and you can find it here in the ROCK install instructions:

Ask if you need help. When it is installed, Roon support can remotely flip the switch to turn it into a Nucleus

Thank you - I downloaded the file and copied it onto the USB drive. plugged it into the Nucleus and booted. Now it says “Reboot and select proper boot device”…

So very sorry, I am clearly not good at this.